Let's talk about your recent gun purchases

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Let's talk about your recent gun purchases

Post by Batboy2/75 »

I'll go first. This little guy followed me home today from a local gun show. Perfect modern match for my Winchester .45lc lever action.

Ruger Redhawk .45lc with a 4inch barrel.

My camera phone isn't co-operating tonight, so here is a picture of a handgun just like it.

Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

The Cunning Stunt
Staff Sergeant

Re: Let's talk about your recent gun purchases

Post by The Cunning Stunt »

Picked this up not too long ago. This will be my main carry gun for a while, I think. Ruger SR9c, 9 mm.

Also no personal picture, but here it is. That's the 10 rd magazine shown, I kept the pinky extension on the bottom instead of the flat-bottom.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

I've been enjoying my Arcus High Power type, so I picked up a Hungarian FEG High Power clone that probably dates to the 70's. The blue is all gone, making it a cheap buy, but the slide to frame fit is astoundingly tight (like maybe better than a new FN) and the internals are in great shape. Somebody carried it day in and day out, but didn't shoot it much. These are apparently one of the most faithful of the High Power clones. I plan to use it as a platform for learning High Power customization.

After I got my wife her PPK/S I found a 1969 Walther PP that had been retired out the Hamburg LandPolizei for so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Holster worn, but again rarely fired, as I'd expect from a German police service weapon. I'll use it to test out mods for my wife's gun, (mostly just spring changes, I expect) since the PPK/S is simply a shorter slide on a PP frame.

As you might suspect, I like tinkering about as much as shooting.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

As promised, here are pics of my new pistola.

Fired off half a box of cowboy loads today and can't wait for my box of Buffalo Bore .45lc + P loads to show up.

Since December , I have picked up some great deals as everyone is running around with AR fever. I've made some crazy money selling off some hi cap mags to gratuitous profit making $$$$$. Fury, Sonnon, and Cooch would be proud.

ATI GSG AK-47/22 .22lr rifle
S&W M&P 15/22 .22lr rifle
ATI-GSG 1911 .22lr pistol

And soon a Savage MarkII FV-SR .22lr and a H&R model 999

.22lr rifle is we're it's at.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm not trying to be a dick (seriously), but wasn't there a thread like this a month or so after Sandy Hook?

I personally haven't bought anything. The prices around here are still ridiculous.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

baffled wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick (seriously), but wasn't there a thread like this a month or so after Sandy Hook?

I personally haven't bought anything. The prices around here are still ridiculous.

Who gives a shit, anytime is a good time to discuss guns.

Plus, only Taciticool toys and ammo have been rediculous. The last couple of months have been the time to buy that bolt action, lever action, and or wheel gun you've always wanted. A lot of tools have been selling off non Tacticool firearms to fund their rush to buy an AR-15. Plus, non Tacticool firearms mostly use ammo that you can actually still find.

So IGx, while the @fit crowd has been out buying AR-15s and glocks at 200% of retail, what have you purchased?

Remember, post some pics while you're at it.
Last edited by Batboy2/75 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Nothing but some ammo. Not been much of a run on 32 Winchester Special.

"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

baffled wrote:wasn't there a thread like this a month or so after Sandy Hook?
Why do we have to wait for another Sandy Hook to celebrate gun culture?

You and your kind disgust me.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Terry B. wrote:
baffled wrote:wasn't there a thread like this a month or so after Sandy Hook?
Why do we have to wait for another Sandy Hook to celebrate gun culture?

You and your kind disgust me.

Cry me a river.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I've still just been shooting my Henry rifle. I want to get a bigger loop and have a proper scope mount put on it, but I have had to pay for responsible shit as of late and have not made the purchase.

I do want to get a handgun in the next few years. My dream is Python, but I am considering a variety of choices. I like the Ruger GP100 too, possibly the Redhawk but I think that that is too much for my hand.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

milosz

Post by milosz »

Haven't bought anything since I got a Glock 21 Gen 4 in December or thereabouts.

I'm thinking about selling my AR - midlength Daniel Defense w/ 12" quad rail etc.. If I'm completely honest with myself, I have more fun shooting the M&P15-22 or my Umarex/HK MP5 .22lr. Same bang, don't have to give a shit about ammo costs.

Ammo costs are really leeching the fun all around - I may pare down to my Nighthawk 9mm 1911 or Gen4 G17, rimfires and a hunting rifle.

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

CZ Shadow Custom. My USPSA Production pistol. With the trigger job (4.75lbs DA/2.25 SA), it's the best DA/SA trigger out there, IMHO.

(I'm experimenting with a plain front sight post, so I took the fiber optic out and filled it with tissue and used a sharpie to paint it black.)

(I suck at uploading pictures. Will work on resizing it.)

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Fat Cat wrote:I've still just been shooting my Henry rifle. I want to get a bigger loop and have a proper scope mount put on it, but I have had to pay for responsible shit as of late and have not made the purchase.

I do want to get a handgun in the next few years. My dream is Python, but I am considering a variety of choices. I like the Ruger GP100 too, possibly the Redhawk but I think that that is too much for my hand.

Mak,

You're the mother fucking Fat Cat. Upgrade that dream to a Colt Anaconda!

BTW- a Ruger Redhawk or S&W 29 in .44 mag would make a perfect companion for that Henry big boy. Or you could stick with your western theme and buy a Ruger Blackhawks single action in .44 mag.

High plains Fat Cat.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

The Anaconda is fucking sexy. But I had heard that Colt quality had suffered in recent years. True?
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Nothing but some ammo. Not been much of a run on 32 Winchester Special.

I used to work with some Potter County boys(PA) and their whole clan was 32 Winchester Special nuts. They also introduced me to canning venison which was surprisingly good, including pickled deer heart.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Batboy2/75 wrote:.22lr rifle is we're it's at.
I'm tempted to buy a new front sight for my old pump-action .22 as my next firearms-related purchase. The current sight is very difficult to see.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

DikTracy6000 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Nothing but some ammo. Not been much of a run on 32 Winchester Special.

I used to work with some Potter County boys(PA) and their whole clan was 32 Winchester Special nuts. They also introduced me to canning venison which was surprisingly good, including pickled deer heart.

This was my Grandfather in law's. Put a lot of food on the table. Pleased that it's in my hands for a couple more years until it goes to my son. I don't find it that different from my old .30-30 but I haven't hunted with it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte »

Taurus Judge. Great carry revolver for the back desert areas around Tucson. Takes .410 shot shells for the occasional reptile, .410 loads with rubber buck to get the attention of that group of guys who thought it's all fun and games to fuck around with threats so far from civilization because they're them and you're just you and your pup, and takes steel buck .410 and .45 Long Colt should there be more serious issues like the illegals and the drugs that run the deserts. Typical 5-round load out for a 3-day weekend hike is one round .410 shot, one round .410 rubber buck, one .410 real buck and two hollow point .45 Long Colt. Short barreled but can hit E-type close enough to center mass at ~20-meters from a stable stance with the LC.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Sua Sponte wrote:Taurus Judge. Great carry revolver for the back desert areas around Tucson. Takes .410 shot shells for the occasional reptile, .410 loads with rubber buck to get the attention of that group of guys who thought it's all fun and games to fuck around with threats so far from civilization because they're them and you're just you and your pup, and takes steel buck .410 and .45 Long Colt should there be more serious issues like the illegals and the drugs that run the deserts. Typical 5-round load out for a 3-day weekend hike is one round .410 shot, one round .410 rubber buck, one .410 real buck and two hollow point .45 Long Colt. Short barreled but can hit E-type close enough to center mass at ~20-meters from a stable stance with the LC.

The Judge is a good gun IMO especially for what you got it for. Good snake killer.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Fat Cat wrote:The Anaconda is fucking sexy. But I had heard that Colt quality had suffered in recent years. True?
Yes. If you heard it from a guy or two on a forum or saw an article about one model produced in 2009, it must be true.

The idiocy and feigned knowledge when it comes to guns is second to none.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

protobuilder wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:The Anaconda is fucking sexy. But I had heard that Colt quality had suffered in recent years. True?
Yes. If you heard it from a guy or two on a forum or saw an article about one model produced in 2009, it must be true.

It's actually the other way around, quality started poor with the Python/Anaconda and then Colt stepped in and fixed things. The Python and the Anaconda were Colt's first entry into the modern magnum DA revolver market. Colt was about a decade late to the magnum revolver craze.

Colt stopped making the Python an the Anaconda back in 1999 or 2001, with very limited special order models available through their custom shop. Even then, they stopped making the custom ones around 2005.

They are very heavy guns compared to their competition; Ruger and S&W. However, they are absolute tack drivers.

On another noted an back to my Ruger Redhawk.

My Ruger Redhawk .45lc was specifically purchased to use over pressured .45lc loads in. Only Ruger Blackhawks, Redhawks, and SuperRedhawk .45lc revolvers can be used with .45lc +P. The muzzle energy and velocity generated by these +P rounds surpasses .44 magnum.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

protobuilder wrote:

Slow down there tiger. I pretend no knowledge of guns, and am asking a genuine question.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Batboy2/75 wrote:
protobuilder wrote:

It's actually the other way around, quality started poor with the Python/Anaconda and then Colt stepped in and fixed things. The Python and the Anaconda were Colt's first entry into the modern magnum DA revolver market. Colt was about a decade late to the magnum revolver craze.

Colt stopped making the Python an the Anaconda back in 1999 or 2001, with very limited special order models available through their custom shop. Even then, they stopped making the custom ones around 2005.

They are very heavy guns compared to their competition; Ruger and S&W. However, they are absolute tack drivers.

On another noted an back to my Ruger Redhawk.

My Ruger Redhawk .45lc was specifically purchased to use over pressured .45lc loads in. Only Ruger Blackhawks, Redhawks, and SuperRedhawk .45lc revolvers can be used with .45lc +P. The muzzle energy and velocity generated by these +P rounds surpasses .44 magnum.
Python /= Anaconda

Pythons were introduced in the 1950's, and stopped production in the mid 90's whereas the Anaconda had a run from 1990 to 1999 or thereabouts. Colt did chamber other .357 magnum's closer to the introduction of the cartridge, both the new service revolver and the single action army were chambered for .357 magnum in the 1930's. At the same time, Colt was also pushing the .38 Super to law enforcement.

The only real similarities between the two are that they are both double action, both revolvers, and share family styling. The action / springs, especially the mainspring, are very different. Pythons were very much handmade and fitted, especially at the beginning, and had excellent accuracy and trigger pulls even in the early models.

milosz

Post by milosz »

CZ Scorpion Evo S3 + CZ kit to turn it into a 922r compliant SBR
*Not mine because I would definitely never attach the stock before the trust's tax stamp comes back and the above photo is their actual subgun model with full auto/burst modes

Always wanted a HK94 (semi-auto MP5) but the real deal are fucking insane now and the various clones/imports all have their downsides (clones are $2-3k and questionable, the imports need 922r compliance for SBR status and it's kind of a PITA to do so from what I understand).

I shot a friend's Evo a couple of months ago and holy shit it's fun, so my father and I went in 50/50 and I had a lawyer friend draw up a trust to use for NFA purchases.

Aside from the ambidextrous safety being in the way of my trigger finger (easily remedied with a blank spacer), all the controls are in the right places, the trigger is heavy but not miserable, A+ accuracy out to 50 yards (farthest I could shoot the one I tried). If I lived out in the country and wanted a home defense gun, throw a suppressor on this and shoot 147gr subsonics and it's ideal.

Open and extended it's about the same length as my 5.56 Tavor but I prefer the price of 9mm ammo for target practice.