Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Born Fighting

Post by Turdacious »

This book's a history of the Scots and their impact on America. Covers the history of their early migrations, their history with the English, migrations to America, and impact on the US and US politics. The book covers their military, religious, political, and social influence-- with a strong emphasis on the martial history.

It's a light history book, covering a long period quickly with a broad brush. It isn't perfect, and students of Scottish and US history will probably have some issues with some of Webb's positions, but he does a good job of putting it all together. Webb writes well, and the chip on his shoulder shows throughout. Worth reading.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Born Fighting

Post by TerryB »

Finally, someone wrote a book about old stuff.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Turdacious wrote:

This book's a history of the Scots and their impact on America. Covers the history of their early migrations, their history with the English, migrations to America, and impact on the US and US politics. The book covers their military, religious, political, and social influence-- with a strong emphasis on the martial history.

It's a light history book, covering a long period quickly with a broad brush. It isn't perfect, and students of Scottish and US history will probably have some issues with some of Webb's positions, but he does a good job of putting it all together. Webb writes well, and the chip on his shoulder shows throughout. Worth reading.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turd I read the book when it was first out. 2006 I think.

The book had some of the first hints that he might re enter politics, but as a Democrat instead of a Republican.

The book is quite good, but will probably only interest someone that is Scots-Irish and is into genealogy.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Bob Wildes wrote:The book is quite good, but will probably only interest someone that is Scots-Irish and is into genealogy.

You're probably right. I found his perspective on border control (use of the Scots-Irish to control the borders with the natives) and the Revolution fascinating. It was something I hadn't read before, although I wish he'd included more about the Beaver War and the French and Indian War to put it in a broader context.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule