Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell

Post by Bram »

A book about the modern state of surfing, set on Hawaii's North Shore of Oahu - the penultimate location for proving yourself in the surf world. It looks at the weirdness of Hawaii in general, and the strange, violent hierarchy that has come about, mostly it seems to the benefit of surfing, oddly enough.

It's written in a Charles Bukowski/John Fante/Kerouac-lite style: a flowery, seemingly honest look that is oftentimes centered as much on the author's choice of clothes, drinks, and music as it is about surfing.

I got to see the guy speak about 2 weeks ago, and liked him in person. He insults people left and right, often just to do it, he's a good writer in spite of some random misspellings and grammar issues, he's self-deprecating and arrogant and he doesn't seem to give two shits if he has to catch a beating.

Prior to writing about surfing, he would ride motorcycles around Yemen and the Middle East, surfing and doing war reporting because of the danger element.

I can't gauge the interest for non-surfers, but it was illuminating for me, as well as a lot more fun than the normal heavily-muted shit you'd read in a surfing magazine.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Welcome to Paradise, Now Go to Hell

Post by T200 »

I have this book but haven't read it yet.

He was an awesome guest on Jason Ellis a month or 2 ago. Definitely not fearing any lawsuits.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I joined the Ellis website to check out the video, but fuck that site is hard to navigate. If you happen to know which one he was on, let me know!
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

I'm not on the Ellis site so I don't know how that is cataloged but I just Googled it and it said he was on Ellis on 12-3-13.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I see now that my googling was lazy, I should have scrolled down a bit more. Thanks T200.