Eagles Nest Outfitters hiking hammocks

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Eagles Nest Outfitters hiking hammocks

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

The wife is planning a hiking trip for her spring break and I get a deal on the ENO products through a distributor at work, so I decided to try one out as an alternative to my usual ultralight tent. I got the Double Deluxe hammock with the House Fly rain tarp and their Atlas straps for easy rigging between trees.

Sets up easy and is super comfy. As is, it's a 3 season deal for me with a 20degree bag and the close fitting rain tarp. Could make it a 4 season shelter with the addition of an insulating pad they sell. Hammock weighs 28oz claimed, and the fly is another 27oz.

Hope to get a few nights in it pretty soon, and then maybe the GA section of the AT later in the spring. Will report back after a multi day trip.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Eagles Nest Outfitters hiking hammocks

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I looked at a bunch of these last year. The consensus is that the lack of insulation beneath makes it pretty cold under 55F, and that the insulating pads don't always work great. However it's still a cool idea and I keep thinking I'll get one.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Eagles Nest Outfitters hiking hammocks

Post by seeahill »

They worked well for a friend of mine who walked through northern Kenya with me. It never got colder than about 50. Mostly it was hot. 100 in the day and the hammock provided comfortable shade that the rest of us envied. Later, in the desert, trees close enough to one another were difficult to find and my pal was SOL.