The couch thread

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Boris

Re: The couch thread

Post by Boris »

Tirofijo wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:The cunts talking about Crossfit being anti-fragile make me howl with laughter...mostly due to the fact that they've sucked Taleb's dick so hard that his jiz is coming out their asshole.
Pavel lays claim to Simple & Sinister being anti-fragile, too.

The term is the title of a best-selling book, so I suppose it's possible that both Pavel and CF independently decide to co-opt it for their use. If the term had just been introduced on the first page and not the title, I'll call BS and assume that either CF or Pavel got the idea from the other one.
I don't think it was a matter of copying - just that every pseudo-intellectual trainer/life coach got on the boat at about the same time. Literally, half of all the trainers on FB were calling themselves anti-fragile for a while there.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

For a self-professed highbrow who makes no secret of his contempt for his readers Nassim Taleb is really good at coining buzzwords that get adopted by business and media people who have no idea what he's talking about.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

I can remember when the term "rugged" was used to describe basic routines.
Shomer Shabbos.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

Let's be honest... you remember the Ark.

Dan Martin

Post by Dan Martin »

Beer Jew wrote:Let's be honest... you remember the Ark.
Ageist.
Shomer Shabbos.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

It's getting to the point where you can play Buzzword Bingo with the fitness crap being touted, too.
When we talk about being "UnFuckWithable," or "AntiFragile," what do we mean? What's the 300 ft. view?

What we're talking about is system so complete, so synergistic, that when the rubber meets the road, Operators, Law Enforcement Officers, competitive athletes and soccer mom's alike can attain elite levels of fitness, strength and over-all performance regardless of their specificity.
Fuck.

Bud Charniga's grape ape

Post by Bud Charniga's grape ape »

Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:It's getting to the point where you can play Buzzword Bingo with the fitness crap being touted, too.
When we talk about being "UnFuckWithable," or "AntiFragile," what do we mean? What's the 300 ft. view?

What we're talking about is system so complete, so synergistic, that when the rubber meets the road, Operators, Law Enforcement Officers, competitive athletes and soccer mom's alike can attain elite levels of fitness, strength and over-all performance regardless of their specificity.
Fuck.
Fuck is right -- they correctly pluralize three nouns in a row, and then screw up on soccer moms?

THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM!!!

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Bud Charniga's grape ape wrote:
Dr. Agkistrodon wrote:It's getting to the point where you can play Buzzword Bingo with the fitness crap being touted, too.

Fuck.
Fuck is right -- they correctly pluralize three nouns in a row, and then screw up on soccer moms?

THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM!!!
It smacks of slap tears and blown-out Achilles' tendons, Bud. It's a fucking horror show.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Fuck.
It makes me feel better about the world to believe that you made that up.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Kenny X
Sgt. Major

Post by Kenny X »

Phaedrus wrote:

Fuck.
It makes me feel better about the world to believe that you made that up.
Keep right on telling yourself that...

chi

Post by chi »

I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Stillwater
Staff Sergeant

Post by Stillwater »

Apparently nerds love crossfit now.

http://boingboing.net/2014/08/12/nerdfi ... e-cro.html
Instead of taking in a round of golf after our meeting, we walked over to CrossFit South Philly to hit a WOD. I would love for that to be A Thing."
Anybody read this book they are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385348878/
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

"hit a WOD"

*sigh*

stanley_white
Gunny

Post by stanley_white »

http://youtu.be/jn8KwUNLdkI

I have no idea how it embed YouTube.

-Stan

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I too, thought it was real until I saw the guy pick up the light barbell and throw it down

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

stanley_white wrote:http://youtu.be/jn8KwUNLdkI

-Stan
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=225982
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

stanley_white wrote:http://youtu.be/jn8KwUNLdkI

-Stan
I NEED THOSE FUCKIN SLAYER PANTS, STAT!
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Stillwater
Staff Sergeant

Post by Stillwater »

How much does it cost to put on an even at Madison Square Garden?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6FJ6MYZz7Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiNdBipTSQ[/youtube]

http://breakingmuscle.com/sports/grid-a ... -new-sport
I'd been following the politics associated with the new fitness league for the months leading up to the premier, and was aware that CrossFit HQ had issued an edict forcing their staff to choose between employment with them and competing in GRID. I had also become aware that the major supplement sponsor to CrossFit had began a campaign of persuading their sponsored athletes to stay away from GRID - and when that failed, they outright threatened athletes with loss of sponsorship or worse. I've no stomach for the latter, and it should suffice to say that this company ought to be more concerned with RICO than GRID.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

kreator

Post by kreator »

Stillwater wrote:How much does it cost to put on an even at Madison Square Garden?
I don't know. But my office is literally right next to the Garden and I didn't know this happened until the day after when Drywall posted it. So, ya, not exactly the biggest deal. They have graduations there too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZG_MPx4i40[/youtube]

The locker room speeches starting at 10:40 in are pretty hilarious, almost a self-parody.

The media side of it is extremely well put together, though. I tried watching some of it, but it's boring as heck.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

InfiniteElgintensity's take on Crossfit Self Defense - unfortunately he has to post on Daily motion instead of youtube

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2379z ... rogram_fun

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I think I may care less about that Elgin fellow than I do about Crossfit.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

He's another attorney.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

When crossfit keeps talking about operators, they mean the chicks who answer "911, what's your emergency?" right? training for people who sit on their asses all day.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

Jay

Post by Jay »

Elgin is a moron, he is funny in spurts but he can go fuck himself as well.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Jay wrote:Elgin is a moron, he is funny in spurts but he can go fuck himself as well.
(He's not really funny. At all.)
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.