Shooter with Marky Mark

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Shooter with Marky Mark

Post by TomFurman »

Saw this last night. I have to admit that I like Mark Wahlberg's work most the time. Ned Beatty and Danny Glover were also enjoyable. They used Philly and British Columbia for locations.
I'm not familiar with the book. Here is a piece from Wikipedia on the hardware.
Shooter depicts a number of sniper tactics, thanks to the guidance of former U.S. Marine scout sniper Patrick Garrity, who trained Mark Wahlberg for the film. Garrity taught Wahlberg to shoot both left and right-handed (the actor is left-handed), as he had to switch shooting posture throughout the movie, due to Swagger's sustained injuries. He was also trained to adjust a weapon's scope, judge effects of wind on a shot, do rapid bolt manipulation and develop special breathing skills. His training included extreme distance shooting (up to 1,100 yards), and the use of camouflage ghillie suits. Fuqua appointed Garrity as the film's military technical advisor.[3]
In the special features of the DVD, Garrity is interviewed pointing out that the shot fired in the assassination would not have hit the archbishop straight on, as in the film. When a round is fired it will fall from 30–40 feet depending on the distance of the shot. To compensate, the round is fired at an arc calibrated by how far the round is going to fall, the distance of the shot, temperature, humidity, wind and the curvature of the earth. In his interview Garrity said "At 1,800 yards, because of the hydrostatic shock that follows a large caliber, high velocity round such as the .408 Chey Tac (which is used in the shot), the target would literally be peeled apart and limbs would be flying 200 feet away". The exit wound on the archbishop's head would have been too extreme to show in movie theaters. Instead, the movie depicts a much less graphic representation of the assassination.

Throughout the film, Swagger uses an array of sniper weapons, among which are the USMC M40A3,[4] the CheyTac Intervention,[5] and the Barrett M82 sniper rifles. Donnie Fenn used an M4A1 with a Cobray 37mm Launcher (commonly used by TV and movie armorers as a stand-in for the M203 grenade launcher) and M68 Close Combat Optic in the African opening sequences. A pair of Remington 700Ps were bought by Swagger and Memphis while on the run. Other weapons used by Swagger include a Beretta M9 and a commandeered M4A1 with an Aimpoint Sight, in the fight against the 24 mercenaries and a Colt M1911-A1 and a suppressed M4A1 in the final scene. Fenn's old .22 rifle that Swagger used on the lake scene is a Cooey model 60.

Also appearing in the film is a Precision Remotes Telepresent Rapid-Aiming Platform (TRAP), a remotely operated weapon platform that accepts a standard rifle. Precision Remotes' website[6] appears in the film, and the company is credited in the closing credits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooter_(2007_film)
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Shooter with Marky Mark

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

The visit with Levon Helm's character is my favorite part of the whole movie.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Levon Helm was the man. I was worried you were going to review the tv show Wahlburgers

Topic author
TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I thought it would just be 'shoot em up'. But it was very well done.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I remember liking that movie

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:The visit with Levon Helm's character is my favorite part of the whole movie.
Yep

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

buckethead wrote:Image

I remember liking that movie
Me too.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

It was an enjoyable flick but the book was WAY better.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy