Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Slaying the Badger

Post by Turdacious »

Story about the 86 Tour de France, and the battle between LeMond and Hinault. Very good story, probably good enough for non-cycling fans to enjoy. Only knock was it focuses on LeMond more than Hinault, although at the end it becomes clear that the documentary was actually about LeMond. It's streaming on Netflix.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Slaying the Badger

Post by buckethead »

Sounds like a Seeahill title

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Was hoping for a Running with the Bulls kind of thing
Don’t believe everything you think.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

i really liked it.

Mad respect for Hinault...Greg continues to disgust but it was an even handed telling of the story. Reasonable folks would come away mixed on them both.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

It is a good book. The badger was a tough French farm boy.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Bob Wildes wrote:It is a good book. The badger was a tough French farm boy.
Was the book more even handed in it's coverage of the two? The film was like 80/20 LeMond.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

I thought that it was.

The Frenchman came off a bit like a boxer. Very tough. I actually gained some respect for the French
from his part of the country. Made me want to eat bread and cheese.

Age beats all in the end. It was Lemond's time.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

This is why I have so much more respect for LA. Greg shows up and crashes a euro party while whining about the rules and complaining. LA shows up gives a nod to the great patrons who came before him and beats them at their own game.

The Badger just highlights how much in common the non Parisian French have with the U.S. They repsect brash decisive leadership and unapologetic aggression

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:i really liked it.

Mad respect for Hinault...Greg continues to disgust but it was an even handed telling of the story. Reasonable folks would come away mixed on them both.
I tended to more or less agree until the last ten minutes or so. Props to LeMond for not getting off the cross the entire movie-- I admire his consistency.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote: Props to LeMond for not getting off the cross the entire movie-- I admire his consistency.

Very True....to the point of chiding his wife for even suggesting that it wasn't all bad.

I have a good friend who is convinced that Kathy's haircut and glasses are what gave Greg Mitochondrial myopathy

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:This is why I have so much more respect for LA. Greg shows up and crashes a euro party while whining about the rules and complaining. LA shows up gives a nod to the great patrons who came before him and beats them at their own game.
IMHO, LeMond barely makes the lead pack in the shitbag peloton, well behind LA and king Boyer.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Turdacious wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:This is why I have so much more respect for LA. Greg shows up and crashes a euro party while whining about the rules and complaining. LA shows up gives a nod to the great patrons who came before him and beats them at their own game.
IMHO, LeMond barely makes the lead pack in the shitbag peloton, well behind LA and king Boyer.
Damn Turd. He did win three titles.

Topic author
Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Turdacious wrote:
Damn Turd. He did win three titles.
His insinuation that Indurain only beat him by doping was what put him over the top in my eyes.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Lemond was just as dirty as the rest of them, but like Carl Lewis, he wove the flag of drug free competition...not in the name of fairness, but attempting to self promote.

I met Carl Lewis and had a brief conversation. I asked him about racing Ben Johnson, and he looked a little miffed but then said "Ben was fast. Very fast." And left it at that.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

On LA...I disliked him until all the attempts to crucify him started, now I respect him for being a ruthless competitor and consider him right up there with Phelps as a dominating American athlete, so good that at his prime nobody could touch him.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Sounds interesting. I may have to watch this tonight.