Fast after 50, Joel Friel

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Fast after 50, Joel Friel

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Damn good offering form Joel Friel. Good insights and really challenged some of my assumptions about high intensity work. Broke dicks under 50 will get plenty out of it and as ever, his description on developing lactic threshold intervals that can be measured is always useful. I've been reading his stuff since the mid 90's and he continues to develop his approach...and he changes his mind. i like that in sciencey guy.

Also, makes the most cogent argument for using VO max as a metric.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Fast after 50, Joel Friel

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Will check it out...did you ever read the VO2 Max book from Health For Life? Really guided my rugby conditioning work until I got polluted...its at once dated and still ahead of most books published on the topic today

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Right, I have t looked at it in some time, forgot the title

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I didn't realize the Friel book had already been released. Appreciated.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

I haven;t read that bit Shaf...I will snoop it out once I'm done with the current crop of stuff.

One thing I really like about the way Joel sets up his intervals is that he drives home the central importance of Pace. It's super easy to get caught up in the metrics of HR/perceived exertion, wattage etc, all of which fluctuate based on external factors. He really drives a point home that all endurance training is really about understanding pace. None of that shit matters unless you can go faster/ longer. The speedo/stopwatch is is still your most trusted ally.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

BD, is it cycling specific or generally applicable to other endurance sports?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:BD, is it cycling specific or generally applicable to other endurance sports?
It's intended to be broadly applicable to endurance sports generally. Cycling is his own sport of choice so it's pretty resonant with that crowd. I could apply it to Cycling, Skiing or skating pretty much equally. I'm out of my depth with running but he does take effort to discuss where running may be different from some of the other endurance sports.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Is it this an update of his Cycling Past 50 book?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Phaedrus wrote:Is it this an update of his Cycling Past 50 book?

That I do not know. The TOC has some similarities but the focus on performance and VOmax looks different. He has also included a bunch of inserts from folks like Mark Allen, Ned Overend and John Howard I found interesting but probably not worth it on their own.

Given Friel's propensity to cover the same ground in multiple books I'd guess it's about 30% new.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Turdacious wrote:BD, is it cycling specific or generally applicable to other endurance sports?
It's intended to be broadly applicable to endurance sports generally. Cycling is his own sport of choice so it's pretty resonant with that crowd. I could apply it to Cycling, Skiing or skating pretty much equally. I'm out of my depth with running but he does take effort to discuss where running may be different from some of the other endurance sports.
Thanks, sounds like I'll have to put it on my list.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Phaedrus wrote:I didn't realize the Friel book had already been released. Appreciated.
:takitass:
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

E2>200 wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:I didn't realize the Friel book had already been released. Appreciated.
:takitass:
jells much?