Video Cameras

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Video Cameras

Post by Beer Jew »

My wife is on the lookout for an anniversary present, and I want something I can use to record my workouts.

I don't like using my iphone because I use it for music and it drains the battery, so I want something I can easily set up, fairly rugged, long battery, easy to record, easy to transfer to the PC etc.

Any recommendations?

Fuzzy Dunlop

Re: Video Cameras

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

have you been living under a rock? GoPro.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

It doesn't have a screen though. Not a huge issue but it would be nice to watch lifts back in the gym.

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

Get an old iPhone for your music or a new iPad and put Coaches Eye on it. Slo mo & frame by frame video and you can draw on it. Pretty slick app.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Beer Jew wrote:It doesn't have a screen though. Not a huge issue but it would be nice to watch lifts back in the gym.
There's an attachment that does that. I rent them for diving.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

JohnDoe wrote:Get an old iPhone for your music or a new iPad and put Coaches Eye on it. Slo mo & frame by frame video and you can draw on it. Pretty slick app.
This was going to be my suggestion. I'd have killed for Coaches Eye when I was competing. Apparently it has a way of working with GoPro now, so depending on the GoPro and iPhone, you may have a much more flexible product in the GoPro
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

terra

Post by terra »

Have been eyeing the gopro Hero 4 silver edition. It has a built in LCD screen for set-up.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tirofijo
Sarge

Post by Tirofijo »

I have a GoPro. It's for action sports. Even with the add-on screen, it's not the first choice for recording simple things off of a tripod.

Get a cheap point and shoot camera. Or a used Iphone.

Topic author
Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

I've been looking at the basic Garmin Virb.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Virb-HD- ... B00EQ2T3KQ

Anyone had any experience with it?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Any digital camera nowadays does HD quality video along with taking stills. Transfers to computer. Attaches to tripod. You'd also like slow motion? I'd go for a fairly low end one. I have a Canon S95 I love, along with a case for underwater photography, but it would be overkill. $200 back in the day.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Sorry, i saw "fairly rugged" and immediately thought GoPro. Id vote iPad if all youre doing is recording workouts, but unless you already have one its a big outlay for something that's primary use is not your intended one. Buying an extra phone is retarded, imo.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.