Come out Come Out you Junkies

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Which of these have you taken regardless of Rx'd or recreational

Poll ended at Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Anti-depressants (SSRIs, TriCyclics etc)
7%
Opiates (H, Dilaudid, Morphine, Oxy, vicodan etc.)
12%
Weed
17%
Stims (Ritalin, Coke, Meth)
13%
Alcohol (communion wine up to a three day Tequila binge)
21%
Psychedelics and related (DMT, LSD, Shrooms, MDMA, GHB)
12%
Benzos and downers (Xanax, Valium, Atavan, Klonipin, thorazine)
9%
Hormones and precursors (HGH,T, DHEA, Peptides, Anabolics, etc)
9%

Total votes: 203

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Come out Come Out you Junkies

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Just a sampling here to get out bearings as it becomes clearer and clearer that when it comes to Pharmacology, actual effects, tangential effects and what constitutes harm or danger to your person...most people are at ignorant. If you wish to list best to worst experiences that might be informative as well....while my bias is clear, i think most people are chickenshit about some benign things (LSD) but are bullish on quit dangerous chemicals(antidepressants).

Conversely, many people are drug tested for their work or are precluded due to civil or military service from living a full and rich life...that may be revealed a little as well.

So tick off the list, and note which if any of the above, no need to note whether given by a doctor or not, what would be useful is to denote any positive or negative or lasting primary effects. Did you become and alcoholic, physical, dependent hung over a a few days, lasting damage to psyche...

This is for fictional educational purposes only and is not meant to be construed as an admission of illicit activity. This is an unscientific if thought experiment.

edited for less fuckery with engrish
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: Come out Come Out you Junkies

Post by seeahill »

Yeah, well the Vicodin I took for a back injury for six months was a drag. Every thing was a little fuzzy around the edges, including my thinking. Then I had an operation that fixed my problem and eliminated the pain. I quit cold turkey. I think I went about a day feeling a little blue and missing Mr. Vicodin, but mostly it felt like I was on a new drug that brightened the colors around me and sharpened my thinking.

Later I asked my doctor why I quit with no pain when guys like Brett Favre had to go to Spin-dry. Doc said, "totally unscientifically, it's been my experience that people who take Vicodin for pain quit easily. The ones who take it recreationally have the problems."

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Thank you Sir.....I take back at least 5 or the 37 terrible things I have called you.

Honest query..did it help your pain? for real? I find opiates work not super well for actual pain (muscle repair, hernia surgery, knee reconstruction etc). Was the back injury chronic or acute onset?

If I might also inquire, what was your daily dose and did you ever mix, say a cold Rainier on a summer day and couple 10mg Vics?

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I hit four of eight. Booze is the only one I ever abused, sort of. I once given codeine Tylenol in an ER and a passing firefighter said "take my advice, kid. Use the regular stuff for the pain now and save that for later." So I did, and repeated several times. Did the same with muscle relaxants. (Were they on the list?)
Mushrooms were a ton of fun. I wish I could still do them. Smoked weed, but never really liked it.
Also, after about 13 years of sobriety, I realized I was doing coke in blackouts. That's why I remember so many nights when people who knew I didn't do that shit offering it anyway. That happened a lot.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

You got me on that. I think strong muscle relaxers are similar in Action to Anxiolytics but I do not know. Will did. They definitely fit in the overall category of strongly mind altering with potential for habit formation.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Alcohol and precursor/hormones/etc.

I'm pretty boring.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

The Ginger Beard Man wrote:I hit four of eight. Booze is the only one I ever abused, sort of. I once given codeine Tylenol in an ER and a passing firefighter said "take my advice, kid. Use the regular stuff for the pain now and save that for later." So I did, and repeated several times. Did the same with muscle relaxants. (Were they on the list?)
Mushrooms were a ton of fun. I wish I could still do them. Smoked weed, but never really liked it.
Also, after about 13 years of sobriety, I realized I was doing coke in blackouts. That's why I remember so many nights when people who knew I didn't do that shit offering it anyway. That happened a lot.

I was half right. It's related to the benzo ring but is different in action. Certainly has a subjective *feel like a xani in some ways.

Honestly I fucked up the categories, the way the best book on the subject groups these is thusly:

Opium and Opiods
Depressants: Alcohol, Benzos and Barbiturates
Stimulants: Nicotine, Caffeine, Cocaine and Amphetamines
Anti-psychotics and Antidepressants
Psychedelics: LSD XTC
Disassociatives and Cannabanoids:PCP (ketamine) THC and ETCs

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Now: Alcohol, coffee - hot, strong, & black, like I like my women; occasional cigars.
And Sonata as an occasional sleep aid; I won't need this at all once I retire from the stress & messed up sleep in the Fire Service.

Then: Pot (weekend use in 1970), muscle relaxers a few times...nothing; Vicodin for pain after surgeries - fairly pleasant but I never used them after the pain stopped. Except, before the Sonata prescription, I sometimes used leftover Vicodin to get to sleep before work days.

Future: Maybe experiment with pot as a PED for grappling...the cool kids at my gym say it's cool. And continue with my current drugs, minus the Sonata.
I just hope I don't get hooked and Gateway Drugged into shooting Black Tar Heroin into my eyeballs. It would be mortifying to get revived by my former workmates.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

johno wrote:I just hope I don't get hooked and Gateway Drugged into shooting Black Tar Heroin into my eyeballs. It would be mortifying to get revived by my former workmates.
This would make for awkward reunions and union fundraisers.

It's interesting you note how you like your women...Holland likes his women with a little cigar in front as well...and he's a grappler. Coincidence?
Last edited by Blaidd Drwg on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koko, Beware
Gunny

Post by Koko, Beware »

You data mining son of a bitch, you.
Materially and behaviorally, booze and coke were ruiners for me and I guess maybe those years and their bad general health will take a couple off the end for me, but I don't think anything was nearly as deleterious to my actual chemistry as a couple of short bouts on Zoloft.

I liked them muscle relaxers. Made a few hangovers disappear back in the day.
In the mill, getting down.
-Kotto

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

FTR and those keeping score. Over many conversations on this topic, KB and GBM have double-handedly...( i guess that's actually four hands like Shiva) changed my perspective on how, who, when, and why some folks are suited to certain things and way not suited to others.

In case you all thought I cast about in a state of constant drug spree turgidity, these guys are the Lena Dunham cold shower to my otherwise rampant drug boner.

knuckles
Gunny

Post by knuckles »

"Cough"..no comment.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

7 out of 8.

The hormones/precursors were when they were still widely available in any Max Muscle or other local supplements store.

No antidepressants, and everything else was either with a prescription or part of fun college and immediate post college fun. No issues with any of them. Pain killers make me nauseous and the party stuff just isn't what I think is fun anymore.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

riotboo

Post by riotboo »

7 out of 8 as well.

I still abuse weed, Provigil, alcohols and my endocrine system.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

johno wrote:Now: Alcohol, coffee - hot, strong, & black, like I like my women; occasional cigars.
And Sonata as an occasional sleep aid; I won't need this at all once I retire from the stress & messed up sleep in the Fire Service.

Then: Pot (weekend use in 1970), muscle relaxers a few times...nothing; Vicodin for pain after surgeries - fairly pleasant but I never used them after the pain stopped. Except, before the Sonata prescription, I sometimes used leftover Vicodin to get to sleep before work days.

Future: Maybe experiment with pot as a PED for grappling...the cool kids at my gym say it's cool. And continue with my current drugs, minus the Sonata.
I just hope I don't get hooked and Gateway Drugged into shooting Black Tar Heroin into my eyeballs. It would be mortifying to get revived by my former workmates.
I worked, all too briefly, with a bartender who spent the sixties in 5th SF and worked all over Latin America. H swore by weed as a PED in combat.
While my uncle was in Vietnam with 5th group it was for recreational use only. Never in combat.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

4 of 8 for me. Alcohol, weed (both now on occasion although it's been a while since I've smoked), back in the day I tried coke (a handful of times), crank (once), dropped acid a couple of times, shrooms a handful of times (I much prefer shrooms to acid), and GHB a couple of times. I would really like to be able to try GHB again if I could get hold of it. And of course had a couple of days away from the family.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
It's interesting you note how you like your women...Holland likes his women with a little cigar in front as well...and he's a grappler. Coincidence?
Well, I do like cigars. And grappling.

The coffee thing is an ongoing schtick I run on my WhiteyMcWhite wife. It has morphed into "how I like my champagne - bubbly & cold" etc.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw »

6 out of 8, but, slightly more than, ehem, dabbling.

Working on making it 7. Have no interest in the 8th.
My cousin is a redheaded german-mexican, we call him a beanerschnitzel

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

My bad...8 out of 8...I forgot Xanax used recreationally.

Alcohol had me for a while, and I recognized that coke could be a real issue so I minimized it. I drink whenever the fuck I want to now, which isn't all that often. Legality and not having a dude keeps me out of weed and other stuff.

The turning point for me was waiting outside a club across the street with a loaded, scoped hunting rifle

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

What?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

The only one I might hit is alcohol: maybe a Shandy a week and the occasional cup of wine while dining outside. I don't really dig what alcohol tastes like.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

chi

Post by chi »

4/8 here

Weed: tried it, didn't like it.
Stims: amphetamines on occasions
Booze: I'm British
Psychedelics and related: MDMA was my drug of choice when younger
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

chi

Post by chi »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:My bad...8 out of 8...I forgot Xanax used recreationally.

Alcohol had me for a while, and I recognized that coke could be a real issue so I minimized it. I drink whenever the fuck I want to now, which isn't all that often. Legality and not having a dude keeps me out of weed and other stuff.

The turning point for me was waiting outside a club across the street with a loaded, scoped hunting rifle
Stop being a tease Shaf and tell us the whole story
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Polo Tomasi
Sarge

Post by Polo Tomasi »

Norco was great for pain; had a fracture a few years ago that felt wonderful after a 10/325. Never did anything recreationally for me.
Coke a few times, as well as psychedelics as a youngster. The only one of those I'd want to try now would be shrooms. Anybody have a contact?
Weed is a nice lo-cal alternative to booze, provided the munchies are controlled. But it's something I can only do sporadically these days due to those pesky random tests. Invasion of privacy, if you ask me.
ETOH is a staple, on almost a daily basis, although rarely to excess. I'm too old for that sort of nonsense.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Disregarding college, just alcohol and pot.

I'm fairly certain my father is an alcoholic (doesn't drink every day, but hid bottles under his car seat from his ex-wife and would go drink in the driveway) and he's a heavy pot head.

Although he's the only person on either side of my blood family with any issue - it makes me leery of doing either habitually.

Edit (double checked the original post): too much pot makes me feel stupid, too much alcohol piles on body fat or makes me act stupid - I try to err on the side of not too much.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."