Right now I'm reading

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: Right now I'm reading

Post by bennyonesix »

Rousseaus Confessions.

Clark Ashton Smith (better Lovecraft)

Dumezil Archaic Roman Religion

A shit tier brokedick ex lifters website called irongarmx or something.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

And E Michael Jones Barren Metal (about Usury and great).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Recently finished "The Zen of Fish" - a history of sushi, mixed with scientific info and held together by the story of a Sushi Academy. Good read.

Also read "Disrupted" - about a guy in his 50's who goes to work in the tech world. The third act is depressing, but it's funny and ridiculous and a good look at Silicon Valley, unless he's bullshitting. Which he might be.

And on the 12th book of the Dresden Files.
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

Boris

Post by Boris »

Currently reading "The Psychopath Whisperer". Pretty good so far, but reading about psychopaths does get monotonous quickly.

Currently re-reading "Animal Farm" (my son is reading it for school and I loved it when I was in HS).

Will start reading The Fireman by Joe Hill soon. I think this will be the third book by him I will read.

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

The Two Babylons. A hilariously rabid 19th century anti-papist polemic about how the Church is Babylon resurrected. But based on fascinating research into paganism and the Mhstery religions of the Near East.

Barren Metal. A history of European economics as the triumph of usury. A tome but eye opening.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Boris wrote:.
Will start reading The Fireman by Joe Hill soon. I think this will be the third book by him I will read.
I read NOS4A2, thought it was very good. Would you recommend another one?
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Michael Gruber's, Jimmy Paz trilogy: Tropic of Night, Valley of Bones & Night of the Jaguar

Afro Cuban detective in Miami + shamanistic/religio supernaturalism + strong female characters + lots of Santaria and its African roots + more.

Someone here mentioned the Night of the Jaguar. Since I liked The Good Son I gave the trilogy a try and loved it. Some of the existential things Gruber explores was like looking at light through a prism for the first time and produced lots of wondering on my part.

It's more than I can get into in a post. I don't see people being neutral about the series. It's something to be loved or hated.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Boris

Post by Boris »

Bram wrote:
I liked NOS4A2, but it was a disturbing read. I would recommend Heart-Shaped Box - still suspenseful, but not as disturbing.

vern

Post by vern »

I've been reading Winston Churchill 's The Second World War.

It's an amazing set of books, and shit they even let him back into the White House!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... settles-in
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

If I were English I would hate Churchill with all my heart instead of Lincoln and Wilson.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

bennyonesix wrote:If I were English I would hate Churchill with all my heart instead of Lincoln and Wilson.
Oh great. Now Gail Jarvis is on IGx. Fuck my life.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Bram wrote:I read NOS4A2, thought it was very good. Would you recommend another one?
If you can handle comic books, he wrote the best comic of the 2010s. It's called Locke and Key. It's one cohesive story, published in stand-alone chapters:

Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
Vol. 2: Head Games
Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
Vol. 4: Keys to the Kingdom
Vol. 5: Clockworks
Vol. 6: Alpha & Omega

All six volumes collected:

Magnificent.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Boris

Post by Boris »

I've heard good things about the comics. I'll give them a look.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

JimZipCode wrote:
Bram wrote:I read NOS4A2, thought it was very good. Would you recommend another one?
If you can handle comic books, he wrote the best comic of the 2010s. It's called Locke and Key. It's one cohesive story, published in stand-alone chapters:

Magnificent.
For a while I trained the head of the comic book studio that released Locke and Key, he hooked me up with volumes 1-2 and I picked up the rest on my own. Outstanding series and it was that which got me into reading Joe Hill's non-comic fiction. It is a fucked up and disturbing read though.

Been a comic fan since I can remember.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Boris wrote:
Bram wrote:
I liked NOS4A2, but it was a disturbing read. I would recommend Heart-Shaped Box - still suspenseful, but not as disturbing.
Yeah, time erases some things and I had forgotten what a twisted story it is. NOS4A2 is disturbing and why I didn't read Joe Hill further. Glad to get the disclaimer from you.

Boris

Post by Boris »

Bram wrote:
Boris wrote:
Bram wrote:
Yeah, time erases some things and I had forgotten what a twisted story it is. NOS4A2 is disturbing and why I didn't read Joe Hill further. Glad to get the disclaimer from you.
20th Century Ghosts is also a collection of short stories - minimal truly disturbing, but some very creepy.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I'm reading "Imagine Heaven", which is essentially a book on folk's reports on near death experiences, i.e. clinically dead and then came back to life. It most definitely has a Christian slant, but the people interviewed run the gambit from Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Jew, right on through outright Atheist. Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots, right on down to little kids. Pretty interesting. Yes, I skipped to the chapter on Hell.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:Michael Gruber's, Jimmy Paz trilogy: Tropic of Night, Valley of Bones & Night of the Jaguar

Afro Cuban detective in Miami + shamanistic/religio supernaturalism + strong female characters + lots of Santaria and its African roots + more.

Someone here mentioned the Night of the Jaguar.
I probably mentioned it. The Jimmy Paz series holds up to a second reading; very few fiction books do. "Supernatural" would normally be a huge turnoff for me. But Gruber is such a good writer that he brings you into that world.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Necroscope 3: The Source

Read the first 3 or 4 several years ago decided to give the whole series a run through.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Finished book 13 of the Dresden files, one of the few weaker spots in the series. 6/10

Read "The Battle for Hackham Heath" - the newest book in the Ranger Apprentice series, which is a fantasy setting without magic. 7.5/10

Halfway through the superb "George Lucas: A Life" - fascinating biography. 10/10

Halfway through "A man for all markets" - about a mathematician and physicist who used science to predict blackjack, roulette and the stock market. 8/10

And just finished "I am drums" - kids fiction about a 12 year old wannabe drummer. 8/10

Boris

Post by Boris »

Finished the last book in the Dune series "Chapterhouse Dune" (by Frank Herbert - not the ones after him). Not bad if you like the series and want to see how it ends. I read online reviews by people who felt like there wasn't closure, but I disagree.

Read "Horns" by Joe Hill - very good. Liked it.

Re-starting "Ready Player One" - story about a future where most of people's everyday life is online and a Steve Jobs-like figure hides a treasure on the internet that people are "questing" to find.

Tons of 80s culture references which if fun for people that love the 80s, but it's almost too much to the point that it distracts from story building.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Bram wrote:Finished book 13 of the Dresden files, one of the few weaker spots in the series. 6/10
Needed for the next turn in the story.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

The Warded Man (The Demon Cycle #1)
by Peter V. Brett

There a lot of fantasy cliche, but real pageturner.

The man in black
Staff Sergeant

Post by The man in black »

Godless by Dan Barker. The first section is an autobiography of him becoming an preacher and then transitioning to an aethiest. That is absolutely fascinating. The rest has to do with debates and why God doesn't exist/why the bible sucks and is almost mind numbing. Rather than pick the low hanging fruit out of the bible he goes after a lot of the bible that the typical christian would probably consider beyond attack. I've pulled a few interesting things to look up from the boring parts but have no issue reccommding only the autobiography section to everyone else.