Scott Pruitt, why does he have job?

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Scott Pruitt, why does he have job?

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I think I understand why some folks continue to support DJT, but the Scott Pruitt issue seems pretty problematic. I don't hear a reason why this guy should still have a job. Anybody?
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Scott Pruitt, why does he have job?

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm I think I understand why some folks continue to support DJT, but the Scott Pruitt issue seems pretty problematic. I don't hear a reason why this guy should still have a job. Anybody?
Because he is tearing done much of what the EPA does.

Angering the libtards is just an added bennie. Or maybe the best thing about him to the Trumpsters. It's all pretty fucking sad to watch...
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm I think I understand why some folks continue to support DJT, but the Scott Pruitt issue seems pretty problematic. I don't hear a reason why this guy should still have a job. Anybody?
Because replacing David Shulkin with Ronny Jackson went so well?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

chi

Post by chi »

He doesn’t anymore
I'd say on the bottom of that self-actualisation pyramid shit, proper decent coffee is in there with wifi, tits, food and shelter

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

He's in the unemployment line as we speak...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/clim ... trump.html
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

0CA53EB1-4EC3-4F1B-A5D3-D89A0D521886.jpeg
0CA53EB1-4EC3-4F1B-A5D3-D89A0D521886.jpeg (112.75 KiB) Viewed 6927 times

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Hahah at Myers. I heard Pruitt's replacement hates the environment and loves big coal just as much.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Buying the hype, Troy?

Aside the fact that he quit because of "abuse" he wasn't up to very much. According to Power Engineering there are no concrete plans to build new coal fired power plants in the US. (see https://www.power-eng.com/coal/coal-new-projects.html )

A lot of new work is being done in Natural Gas. Derived from Fracking. Cheap today, maybe not tomorrow. Enjoy. https://www.power-eng.com/gas.html

Compared to Gina McCarthy I wonder what people have against the man. She was a Corporate shill like her boss.

The Ivanpah solar plant was a masterpiece of Corporate whoring. Built on private land with loan guarantees and tax credits that covered its capital costs. The damn thing generated enough CO2 from its built in boilers to qualify twice over as a "green house gas emitter under CARB standards. Theyre probably still fudging the figures to get it to seem like net carbon negative producer.

Meanwhile two fine nuclear plants were stopped during construction by this Natural Gas foolishness. Really nice state of the art AP-1000 units. Sixty year life spans. Passively cooled, so no Fukushima nonsense.

Vogtle still might get built.

I guess the whole nation needs to "enjoy" the California experience of rolling blackouts before people quit acting like electricity comes out of wall sockets.
Don't like yourself too much.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Gene I was talking about the corruption
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Another big factor-- for the best case scenario for Republicans to happen, the replacement needs to be confirmed before November. So there is a mid term time crunch.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Turdacious wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 amAnother big factor-- for the best case scenario for Republicans to happen, the replacement needs to be confirmed before November. So there is a mid term time crunch.
But isn't there a time-lag between the election and when the new guys are sworn in / take office? Even if hypothetically the Reps lost their majority in November, they would still have a couple months to take action, right?
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I have a really hard time seeing Trump's pick not getting through the wickets. Too many Red State Democrats up for re-election this Fall.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

JimZipCode wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Turdacious wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 amAnother big factor-- for the best case scenario for Republicans to happen, the replacement needs to be confirmed before November. So there is a mid term time crunch.
But isn't there a time-lag between the election and when the new guys are sworn in / take office? Even if hypothetically the Reps lost their majority in November, they would still have a couple months to take action, right?
You're right, but the Senate is not known for their speed.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 am Gene I was talking about the corruption

Live in a lobbyist’s townhouse for 50 bucks a night;

Install an illegal $43,000 phone booth in his office;

Spend roughly $3,000 on fancy pens and journals and over $1,500 on “tactical pants”;

Let a foreign agent and longtime pal plan his $100,000 trip to Morocco;

Wine and dine an accused child molester at a five-star Italian restaurant;

Go over the White House’s head to give giant raises to at least two loyalists;

Allegedly make travel decisions based on his “desire to visit particular cities or countries,” and subsequently instruct staff to find him something to do in those locations to justify the use of taxpayer funds;

Allegedly direct staff to “find reasons for [him] to travel to Oklahoma, so [he] could be in his home state for long weekends at taxpayers’ expense”

Reportedly insist on the use of lights and sirens to transport him more quickly through traffic to the airport, meetings, and social events;

Reportedly demote or reassign at least six E.P.A. officials after they raised “concerns” about his habit of using taxpayer money as though it’s a slush fund;

Use his position to attempt to score his wife a Chick-fil-A franchise and a $200,000 a year job;

Treat E.P.A. staffers like personal assistants whose jobs included picking up dry cleaning, driving around looking for a particular type of fancy moisturizing lotion, and paying for his fancy hotel stays.
- https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07 ... esignation

Here is some more corruption....

In 1978, the EPA tried to suppress research showing the cost of proposed air pollution standards. If Pennsylvania’s two senators at the time (John Heinz and Richard Schweiker) hadn’t intervened, the EPA would have imposed standards stringent enough to effectively shut down the U.S. steel industry.
ibid
In 1991, a panel of outside scientists brought in to review EPA practices concluded (among other things) that the EPA often tailors its science to justify what it wants to do and shields key research from peer review. EPA Administrator William Reilly acknowledged, “scientific data have not always been featured prominently in environmental efforts and have sometimes been ignored even when available.”
ibid
In the 1990s, under the leadership of Carol Browner, the EPA refused to divulge how it calculated cost-benefit analyses. Indeed, in 1997 Browner admitted that new research would be required to set a “scientifically defensible” standard for air quality issues that would “fill obvious and critical voids in our knowledge.” The Browner-led EPA also blatantly broke federal law by actively lobbying against legislation designed to curb some of EPA’s abuses. Browner herself broke the law by defying a federal judge’s orders and overseeing the erasure of the hard drives and the destruction of back-up email tapes that she had used as administrator.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhendri ... 6a6c521adb

Sabotaging key industries and phonying up scientific data. Deleting government documents.

Maybe we need to reform the EPA?
Last edited by Gene on Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

Result of a joint EPA/contractor operation. They polluted a river in Colorado. Lots of nasty stuff.

The EPA fucked around for a day before letting anyone else now. I bet if they weren't in the mix that someone would be doing jail time now.

Hell, did anyone go to jail?

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

A suit filed in federal court charges the Environmental Protection Agency with conducting illegal and potentially lethal experiments on hundreds of financially needy people who were paid $12/hour without even informing them of risks.

Based upon thousands of documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, procedures undertaken since 2004 and continuing through the Obama administration exposed subjects at the University of North Carolina’s School of Medicine to very high levels of toxic air pollutants.
- https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/ ... 6832b62d75

Later the EPA got out of the suit...
A Virginia federal judge on Thursday dismissed an environmental policy think tank's suit seeking to shutter a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study examining the effects of potentially lethal pollutants on human subjects, ruling the study didn't constitute a legally contestable “final agency action.”

In a complaint filed Sept. 21, the American Tradition Institute Environmental Law Center accused the EPA of exposing study participants to fine particles, such as those emitted by cars and coal power plants, without informing them of the risks.
- https://www.law360.com/articles/412182/ ... -on-humans

Didn't constitute a legally contestable final agency action... does this mean if an agency decides to do human experimentation without proper consent that it's cool until they're finished? I have trouble believing that is the case.

Here is a Heartland piece on the experiments... it's a hit piece but contains EPA information on the studies that is useful. http://climateconferences.heartland.org ... 2.pptx.pdf

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:51 pm I have a really hard time seeing Trump's pick not getting through the wickets. Too many Red State Democrats up for re-election this Fall.
The Democrats have Ms. Ocasio-Cortez pushing them the other way.

I think a couple of years Inside the Beltway are gonna burn her out. She didn't pay her dues on the precinct level making deals and "performing the art of the possible" as Adlai Stevenson put it. Going in cold she's not going to understand how things are done, worse she's going to try to do things her way.

Still for a little while she's be the face of #Resistance.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

She didn't pay her dues on the precinct level making deals and "performing the art of the possible" as Adlai Stevenson put it. Going in cold she's not going to understand how things are done, worse she's going to try to do things her way.
Sounds like POTUS

The barriers to entry have certainly dropped recently.

Gene
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Gene »

nafod wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:44 pm
She didn't pay her dues on the precinct level making deals and "performing the art of the possible" as Adlai Stevenson put it. Going in cold she's not going to understand how things are done, worse she's going to try to do things her way.
Sounds like POTUS

The barriers to entry have certainly dropped recently.
Good point. Are you impressed with his performance?

Here's what she said to CBS... think that John and Jane Q Taxpayer are good for it?

"I believe that in a modern, moral, and wealthy society, no person in America should be too poor to live," she explained. "What that means to me is health care as a human right, it means that every child no matter where you are born should have access to a college or trade-school education if they so choose it. I think that no person should be homeless if we have public structures or public policy to allow for people to have homes and food and lead a dignified life in the United States."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alexandria ... late-show/