Steve Maxwell's Joint Mobility and Recharge DVD

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Steve Maxwell's Joint Mobility and Recharge DVD

Post by PC Polar Circle Person »

Mr. Fat Cat was kind enough to send me one of these and I've finally had some time to get into this stuff. First of all, both the audio and visual quality is excellent, but that's nothing compared to the content. If you like Pavels Joint Mobility stuff, then this will absolutely blow your mind. I've done Pavels stuff more or less regularily for some years and didn't expect too much difference. I was wrong. Probably 80-90 percent of the stuff is either completely new to me or with some added details which make them as good as new. This approximately 20 minute DVD rocks more than any training stuff I've ever seen. If you're serious about your training and/or health, get this DVD NOW!

Below is a list of the excersises I made for myself to be able to go through it without simultaneusly watching the DVD. Note that not all of the names are by Steve, it's just a list for me to remember them. I will still get back to the DVD as often as possible as it is packed with small details and tips that will majorly improve the movements. I'll let you know about any long term effects after using this stuff for a little longer.

1. The neck movements from Pavels JM + neck slides side to side and front to back (chicken)

2. Neck rolls

3. Shoulder rolls

4. Alternated shoulder rolls

5.Shoulder circles (lead by thumb)

6. Alternated shoulder circles (like back/front strokes)

7. Pendelum swings

8. Figure 8 pendelum swings

9. Assymetric pendelum swings

10. Figure 8 assymetric pendelum swings, decreasing movement down to fingers

11. Wrist bends with palms facing

12. Wrist rolls (what you see Wanderlei doing before his fights)

13. Laced fingers press outs

14. What Pavel calls The Egyptian (if I recall)

15. Spinal wave

16. Hoola hoops

17. Forward bending

18. Forward bending with reaching

19. Side to side reachdowns

20. Arms over head circles

21. Waist twister with relaxed arms

22. Waist twister with foot sweep

23. Waist twister with forward bend

24. Hip circles

25. The Maxwell spinal twist

26. Knee circles

27. Frog stands

28. Frog stands with palms outside of knee

29. The Kosack

30. The Kosack with toes up

31. Hip flexor stretch with twist

32. Dynamic calf stretch

33. The pump

34. Back rounding/arching while bending forward (leaning on chair)

35. Same while circling hips

36. Hand shakes

37. Foot shakes

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Thanks. I've been wanting to get a joint mobility DVD, but not wanting to support RMax. Maybe I'll check this one out.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Thanks to Makena plugging this so much I bought it. This routine REALLY leaves you feeling 'oiled'. Most of the exercises are easy to perform, but a few I had to think about. It is a warm up, warm down, joint mobilty, stretch out and active recovery all rolled into one. Steve Maxwell's motto is 'It's how you put it together' and I think he has hit the nail on the head with this DVD. The sound and picture quality are top notch.I think it's so good I'm going to ask my MA instructor if we can use it as a warm up in class.

Dave

Post by Dave »

THis was was good if you havent seen Warior Wellness, many of Steve's drills are similar to WW. Not saying that Steve's ripping off Sonnon there's only so many ways of doing joint mobility. Steve has quite a few on there I've not seen elsewhere.

I think its a better buy than Resilient. I believe Steves is $40 while Pavel's was $60.

Dave

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Steve's is $29.

Dave

Post by Dave »

FatCat you are correct. That makes it an even better deal

Trip

Post by Trip »

$29 where ?? Looks like $35 on Steve's site.

Topic author
PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Gav wrote:I think it's so good I'm going to ask my MA instructor if we can use it as a warm up in class.
I've actually done this a few times (I direct the warm-up quite often). It's funny how people like to bitch about everything that is a bit different from what they're used to. On the other hand, a few open minded people have really liked it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Dunno trip, but I just checked my confirmation email--that's what I paid for it. It was around Christmas so it might have been a sale. Don't ride my nutz over $6.

Trip

Post by Trip »

no riding, just curious

SAR

Post by SAR »

Ordered. I'll have my copy on Monday. I'm still not happy with my current JM and would like to see was Maxwell has to offer. Thanks for the reviews.

Matt
Private

Yup

Post by Matt »

I like this video. Great joint mobility and warm up combo.
Matt

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Actually Steve covered more mobility drills at the San Diego stretching camp last summer. I took notes. Nice stuff. I have been adding some other stuff from other sources. I have one other old source I am going to dig up. I may get all this in line for my second DVD. Variety is the spice of life and I may have a different approach to this whole thing.

I could put in my old silat Guru Harold Koning's routine, but everyone would be limping for a week!

Tom Furman
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Tom Furman wrote: I could put in my old silat Guru Harold Koning's routine, but everyone would be limping for a week!

Tom Furman
That would seem to recommend it highly.
?

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Based on the recommendations here, I ordered the DVD online and got it within a week. It's a pretty good product - I'd say a more integrated and organic routine than Super Joints or Warrior Wellness, but a little harder to 'get into' for newbies, since Steve displays less personality on the video and voice-over than Pavel and Sonnon do on their versions. However, if you don't need outside motivation and hand holding, it will do the trick.

The exercise near the end that combines back arching and hip circles while propping the arms on a table makes me feel like a pole dancer, though. I suppose I should just get comfortable with my inner stripper and go for it.

Topic author
PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Ok, Mak and others, here's at least one long term effect: With the current hard training I quite often wake up in the morning, not really sore, but stiff and with the feeling that NFW can I do any training today. Just a few movements usually takes care of this completely in only 1-3 minutes. Also, during the day as I sit by the computer my neck and back goes stiff. Again, just a few movements takes care of it. Seems like my body is getting used to the movements, ROM is increasing and just by going full ROM a few times does the trick. This is how I use it at the moment: a few movements here and there throughout the day and as warm-up before lifting and BJJ.

mrzero
Gunny

Post by mrzero »

Just ordered a copy of this since all hours sitting in front of this damn box are rally wearing on my back and neck. Will chime in again after a few weeks.
Life ain't a track meet; it's a marathon

mrzero
Gunny

Post by mrzero »

Having only run it a few times I'm loving this...
Maxwell's de-bullshitted approach sits well with me. the shoulder and neck stuff is great in the morning.

The hip cirlce+back arches have made me ready to lift again the next day when I've lifted too much the days before. It's fucking magic mana.
Life ain't a track meet; it's a marathon

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

There was definitely no fluff in Maxwell's presentation. The DVD was short, but all business, and all of his explanations were to the point and enhanced the presentation. I don't want to rehash things that have already been mentioned, but the shoulder, neck, and back work were the most thorough I have seen.

As far as the routine goes, I liked that it was a standup, integrated routine, meaning that you can do it anywhere.

My favorite movement so far has been the hip flexor stretch with a twist- it provides a nice stretch/warmup/joint mobility, all in one.

EDIT: I put off buying this DVD for a long time until I read the reviews here. It is short, but worth every penny. Super Joints was great, and worth the money, but this is the best joint mobility routine I have tried. Putting off purchasing it was a mistake.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Robert Monti

Post by Robert Monti »

I've never seen the DVD but I used to train w/ Steve 3x or more per week for about two years. I can tell that shit WORKS! I walked into Maxercise overweight, out of shape and nursing pussy-assed lower back pain. In two, months of Kettlebells, bodyweight conditioning/joint mobility and Janda's I was lean, mean, and bulletproof. The ROM lent itself so well to Jiu Jitsu and MMA that I rarely experienced aches and pains.