Cooking without smoke

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

Cooking without smoke

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Some people here cook, so my question is how can I cook without setting off the smoke alarm? The obvious answer, "stop burning stuff", hasn't worked. I tried cooking on low heat only but that doesn't work well for some things. I thought to get a microwave cooker but I'm worried about all that heated plastic in my food, although at this point it will probably do less harm to me than the alarm. I can't disable the alarm due to the lease. So what options do I have? I need a chef coach!

Edit: I should mention that I'm not as slam ignorant of all things cooking as it may sound like. I do know my way around a kitchen but I also fuck up a lot. So I need simple and as unfuckupable as possible. I thank you and my neighbors will thank you.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Cooking without smoke

Post by Fat Cat »

Boil, simmer, braise, steam, stew, etc.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

SOUS VIDE

As no-brainer as it comes.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Crock pot
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Move your fire alarm further from the stove. Buy a different model, perhaps, as well. Most cooking should not set off a fire alarm. Does your stove have an exhaust fan? make sure it is a true exhaust and not just a recirc filter. If it is just a filter, get a fan you can install in a window to be am exhaust fan.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Topic author
motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

I can't move the alarm. Opening the window makes it worse since the air flow pulls smoke out of the kitchen and past the alarm.

I like simplicity in cooking. I've been cooking almost everything in my cast iron pan and I like the way most things cook up with it but the alarm kills me. I use the fan and it works but the alarm is really sensitive. I might put up a curtain in front of the hall where the alarm is.

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Buy a Weber Baby Q and cook everything outside.

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:00 am I can't move the alarm. Opening the window makes it worse since the air flow pulls smoke out of the kitchen and past the alarm.

I like simplicity in cooking. I've been cooking almost everything in my cast iron pan and I like the way most things cook up with it but the alarm kills me. I use the fan and it works but the alarm is really sensitive. I might put up a curtain in front of the hall where the alarm is.
Are you sure you are using enough fat in that cast iron? Maybe try using a lot more than you think you need. Even well seasoned, I find cast iron loves fat and you can pour it off and trash or save afterwards. Obv, don't put it down the drain...

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Do you not have a kitchen window?
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

MJ&S, if you're using cast iron and are searing, crank the the heat for the first couple min and then dial it way down until you turn it.

E.g., searing a 1" steak:
2 min, crank to get a sear on it
4 min low heat
flip and repeat.

If you have a lot of carbonized gunk in your CI it may smoke regardless, and stripping it and reseasoning can be a good idea. I did that to a grated pan a few years ago with oven cleaning and it made a big difference. Dish soap is safe on cast iron so a good scrub may also get you there.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

When I was eating the red, my go-to was a high heat sear on the stove and then into the oven to get the done-ness level I wanted.

Also, table salt is a good scrubbing agent for a well seasoned piece of cast iron cookware.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Grandpa's Spells wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:17 pm MJ&S, if you're using cast iron and are searing, crank the the heat for the first couple min and then dial it way down until you turn it.

E.g., searing a 1" steak:
2 min, crank to get a sear on it
4 min low heat
flip and repeat.

If you have a lot of carbonized gunk in your CI it may smoke regardless, and stripping it and reseasoning can be a good idea. I did that to a grated pan a few years ago with oven cleaning and it made a big difference. Dish soap is safe on cast iron so a good scrub may also get you there.
He wants to cook without smoke and you're searing steaks? GTFO with your high carbon cooking! :axe:
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen