Welcome Back

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Welcome Back

Post by newguy »

Welcome back!

I'd almost given up hope.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Welcome Back

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I reached out to an old Mario email initially address and even the hosting provider, without progress. i don't know if this did it, but I got an alternate email address today and emailed there.

While very appreciate of M-Dux efforts, it may make sense for us to have a batphone line or backup admin when things go down.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Something. A back up FB group? A reddit? And emergency email list?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

There's a subreddit. reddit.com/r/IronGarmX
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Good work 'Spells
...and Mario

Ronald RayGun

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Any idea what happened?
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux »

IGX is very popular for people to read, due to the vastness of content over appeared of almost 15 years now. We receive anywhere from 50,000- 200,000 visits every day, still, there was a bandwidth issue, which we got resolved by moving to a new server.
Let me know if you notice any hiccups.
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Shit. Maybe we SHOULD take ads.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Schlegel wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:30 am Shit. Maybe we SHOULD take ads.
COVID has hurt Greek Rice Krispie treat sales, this is clearly.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Dux wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:59 am IGX is very popular for people to read, due to the vastness of content over appeared of almost 15 years now. We receive anywhere from 50,000- 200,000 visits every day, still, there was a bandwidth issue, which we got resolved by moving to a new server.
Thank you for the update.

HEY. Speaking of content.....the training forum is really starting to lose back content. Are those pages from long ago just gone?

Is there anwyay to stop the pruning so that it becomes like the product review page, etc. and things just stay.

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

A big part of the value of forums is the knowledge base. If that's gone then there's not much point: with no archive it's just some social media time wasting activity.

As far as funding goes, what about having ads but having advertisers pay in bitcoin or something? I realize a lot of payment processors get all big brothery about what they "allow" <insert rant about those companies here> but bypassing that could generate some revenue. If there's 50,000 visits a day, at $2 CPM for display ads, that's $100/day. $3,000 a month should allow for more bandwith and storage.

Edit; The CPM for a niche like fitness would likely be higher. The numbers could be more like $7 CPM x 100,000 visits/day, so $20,000/ month seems possible. I realize this would take some work but I'd be willing to help with that and I'm sure others here would too.
Last edited by motherjuggs&speed on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Dux wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:59 am IGX is very popular for people to read, due to the vastness of content over appeared of almost 15 years now. We receive anywhere from 50,000- 200,000 visits every day, still, there was a bandwidth issue, which we got resolved by moving to a new server.
I had the hiccups the other day.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I figured we were goners.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

Thank you! I appreciate your efforts keeping us up and running :heart:
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Thanks dux.

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Over on the reddit IGX thread Spells said he is having password issues and can't get in.

Anyone able to help him???

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

newguy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:27 pm Over on the reddit IGX thread Spells said he is having password issues and can't get in.

Send a PM to Dux telling him what's up. Let us know when you have so we don't all do it.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:55 pm
newguy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:27 pm Over on the reddit IGX thread Spells said he is having password issues and can't get in.

Send a PM to Dux telling him what's up. Let us know when you have so we don't all do it.
I've PM'd dux and gav.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

k, give it 24 hours and let's see where we are tomorrow. I hope SPELLS is using this time to reflect on how poor his critical thinking skills are and will endeavor to do better in the future.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Fat Cat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 pm k, give it 24 hours and let's see where we are tomorrow. I hope SPELLS is using this time to reflect on how poor his critical thinking skills are and will endeavor to do better in the future.
You can teach ignorance but not full retard. No chance

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

BUMP

Still no Spells.

It looks like there is not a create an account feature either.

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy »

HEY.

Can you get Spells back in?

I am volunteering my services as an account manager. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Thanks Dux!