Hal Higdon Free Running Programs

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Hal Higdon Free Running Programs

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

After doing the C25k k, 0-to-mile swim, and then c25k's 10k run programs, I didn't want to really go adrift on running but I also didn't want to build up a lot of running volume.

Higdon has running apps but you can follow assorted programs for free on his website, which I just use with an iPhone running app and a HR monitor. I am about 3/4 the way through the intermediate 5k program.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-prog ... ediate-5k/

Given you can following a progressive weekly program up to 100+ mile runs, "just run" seems suboptimal advice if you don't regulate the beginner phase well. The program results have come pretty fast, to the point where if you could sell free 5k programs the marketing copy would be overhyped. "Between weeks 4 & 5 I took 1.5 min/mile off my long run pace without increasing heart rate."

The positive feedback in terms of rapid improvement for beginner cardio is great. I think it's easy to consider oneself more advanced than a 5k program, but it's been extremely beneficial in ways I didn't find at all in my 20s and 30s.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.