Don't know much about him but the Knees Over Toes guy's dunk vid was excellent

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

https://youtu.be/t03RS0KqPVo

I know about this and all I can say is I wish I had it in 8th grade when I got serious.

He makes a number of points I had never considered but are obviously true.

I was a left foot leaper with the left foot only way I could dunk in a game. I should have trained jumping off the right and two feet and landing on either foot and two feet. I can't even remember how I landed because no one thought about it.

Fwiw the progression I used was golf ball then tennis ball then shoe then volleyball then baksetball.

I got my best results from just holding the ball over my head and jumping up and tapping it agaist the backboard and then landing and bouncing right back up to the backboard. And then the rim. But his way is far superior.

I never heard anyone talk about the knee kick but the guys who went pro all did it.

Hell it might've been common knowledge but non of the brothers or coaches were gonna tell the Casper Ofay about it. Too busy cutting my legs from underneath me abd jerking it in the showers I guess.

Fuck I am angry I didn't know this. It is really good.

I'll prob try his whole god damn goofy system now. Not the dunk stuff landing is scary lol. And I am old. But the other stuff which I have no idea what it is other than THE KNEES ARE OVER THE TOES BRO.

And the muscle in front of the shin is dead on. The toes have to be raised as the heel plants. He does it and everyone does it. He doesn't say why but it is prob some potentiation thing.

That vid is all anyone needs to dunk in a game given any lane to the hoop.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

There's a strength coach on Twitter who did a vid comparing 3 ways to bounce a med ball.

1. Static
2. Prestretched Bounce using muscle
3. Prestretched bounce using a previous bounce for the pre-stretch

Guess which one when highest? Yeah, 3./

motherjuggs&speed

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

On the one hand, talent is by far the most important element in any endeavor. But a lot of good athletes do things in ways that the average schmo doesn't. I have always approached sport skills in a very mechanical, deliberate way, thinking though each step. That's not at all what good athletes do, and it killed my ability to ever be good at anything. It's worth paying attention to how the good people do things. Form is the beginning of technique, Valeris, not the end. How do people who are good at the thing actually do it?

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Things like jumpshots or tennis strokes and I have been told golf swings can all look different but at the crucial moment they are all the same. And the better the person is the more the crucial moment looks the same.

The jumpshot is over the head, hand behind center mass and elbow very close to midline. People get there all kinds of ways but that's how the ones who can shoot shoot.

And the vid above pointed out the crucial things good dunkers do.

It'possible to do things differently but not as well or not nearly as safely. Long term successful execution of a skill under pressure is the result of a very few things being a certain way.

Ben Simmons of the Sixers is a good example. His freethrows and jumpshot are very not good. He's been well trained though. Set aside he's right hand dominant but his dad had him shoot lefty for some marginal theoretical advantage. Idk maybe he is left handed or truly ambi but has wrong dominant eye to shoot lefty... either way he is a brickmaster. If one watches his freethrow form it is perfect. Until he begins extension. And then his elbow chicken wings out. That spins the ball sideways and he loses the benefit of the shooters bounce. It also sets him off line. His finish is good too. He does everything right but one thing. Amazing.

motherjuggs&speed

All of the great sluggers use the same swing mechanics. I read The Science of Hitting and thought I understood but I got some big things wrong. I had to start developing speed much earlier in the swing and to not think about swinging hard but rather just swinging fast with little tension. This is what I mean by doing what the successful people do. If you look on YT for the longest home runs, almost all of them look easy. I got some things right but important things wrong. I did the same with a lot of things, from running to talking to girls to performing. I made it into a harder job by not understanding the key elements.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Screenshot_20211221-093338_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20211221-093338_Brave.jpg (209.87 KiB) Viewed 837 times
https://youtu.be/NKDgyAmyhJc

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

https://youtu.be/x811c7eBF-c

Dave Parker lol jfc

motherjuggs&speed

I hope the rest of his stuff is better than that. A non-credible claim of doubling his vertical leap, which he gives as evidence for his method, which consists of . . .practicing dunking. No training methodology, no technique, no explanation of how to do the takeoffs he suggests and less on how to land.

99% of the time someone says he's figured out something no one else has in the training space he's full of it.

Topic author
Bennyonesix1

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

He's a little white dude who can throw it down after numerous surgeries. He can get up high and get up quick off either foot. He can do it in a game. Ppl selling things say a lot of things.

And there is a lot of detail in what he said and a lot of recommendations as to how to approach and program training. He took how 99% of people who can dunk learned to dunk and made it sig more effective. It would have made my own training immeasurably better.

I started as a 9th grader on a national powerhouse and played with and against dozens of future pros and I could dunk. And that vid blew my mind.

I know BA had a weight lifting based program that I thought would work but I didn't comment on it because it was the opposite of how I learned and everyone else I knew learned. We all learned by obsessively dunking and practicing dunking. But BA absolutely knew his shit and I knew and know nothing of that kind of lifting.

Could you work behind the neck power jerks into a jumping program? Sure. But being skinny and jumping all day seem more direct.

I spent countless hours developing a skill and succeeded to some extent and when I watched that vid I was like holy shit that is amazing. I never realized that and that and that and that but it's obvious now. He understands what is going on at a profound level.

For me watching that vid was like drinking from a firehose abd that was an overview not the complete system.