Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Topics without replies are pruned every 365 days. Not moderated.

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Cayenne

Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Post by Cayenne »

Waddya think?

DrDonkeyLove...
Sarge

Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Post by DrDonkeyLove... »

Listen to your joints. I think I was 64 when I started but stopped. Top reason was joint fears, but I didn't get any more injured than I already was.
Weekday classes seem to have more geezers which is good if you can make it.
My former school offered 3 starter classes and a gi for $35. It's humbling fun. Try it a few times an see how you feel.
Right now I'm doing some Kali at a 2nd tier school where the students are mostly older. It's fun and has been less stressful to my joints. But there's nothing like BJJ.

Topic author
Cayenne

Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Post by Cayenne »

Thanks Doc. Best to you.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Post by johno »

I started at 58 and am still doing it at 70. (Thanks, FatCat & MarcoFP !) YMMV

One key is to find the right Academy. Both the instructor(s) and the students are important. Avoid the school that is only competition & medal-focused. A clan of young meatheads will probably just get you hurt & discouraged. And I don't think the "name" (Gracie, etc.) or lineage is essential. Watch a few classes and see if they are well-taught, if the students are focused, and the atmosphere is right for you.

Expect to be ineffectual and mind-boggled for the first weeks and months. And know that this is a completely different physical stress from what you're used to.

For motivation, check out Fat Cat's older logs here in IGx. And __________"s also. I found those inspirational when I started.

Congratulations, you're embarking on a rewarding journey.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Starting BJJ at 62 y.o.

Post by Sangoma »

I am 59 and started BJJ about 3 years ago. I have no talent for it, my endurance is shit, and I am pretty useless on the mat. However, it is a great martial art. I think it is not a bad choice as a new sport for the old fucks. One of the most important aspects for me is less chance of injury. You choose when to tap: you can do it when your arm is about to break or when you lost the position and completed arm bar is only a matter of time. You start most rolls in sitting position, so there is no falling. It is very cerebral, especially for older guys: we cannot compensate the lack of skill by brute strength and/or endurance, so you need a good technique more than a very fit youngster.

One thing is very important, the head instructor. He or she must understand the difference between training a young guy, whom you can push quite hard, and the older one, with accumulated injuries and the possibility of underlying medical conditions.

I haven't done BJJ since July when they closed everything for the Second Wave. I got my vaccination in November and was cautious about cardiac complications, so made sure I wait couple of months before getting back to more intense exercise. Planning to come back in February.

So, Cayenne, I say go for it, man.