$250 Chromebook.

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

$250 Chromebook.

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

I just got one for the kids. It seems pretty nice. Boots quick, apps for it are pretty simple. I am curious what it malfunction will be. Only had it for 3 days, so I guess there is time.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Re: $250 Chromebook.

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Holeyfraggaroley wrote:I just got one for the kids. It seems pretty nice. Boots quick, apps for it are pretty simple. I am curious what it malfunction will be. Only had it for 3 days, so I guess there is time.

With Kids it won't be long. My wife and kids take down our various home computers at least once a month. When asked what happened, everyone turns into Sgt. Schultz; no one knows anything.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

So it's been about two weeks since I bought the Chromebook. The kids have used it a lot and have not destroyed it. The battery lasts a long time. Google Chrome is pretty nice for surfing around once you get used to it. There are a bunch of apps that you load, like Evernote for example. I have found I like it better than the iPad. That seems like blasphemy. Anyway it's money well spent.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Asus just put out a $199 Chromebook - differs from this one with a 320 GB HD instead of a SSD, etc, so this might be worth picking up.

I understand why people love their iPads - the design is sexy as hell. However, they seem to be mostly for "consuming", and the lack of a real keyboard (except as an accessory?) and the price keeps me from getting one.

I actually plan to buy a Surface Pro after the refurbished ones hit the market in a year or so. (I never pay for version 1.0 of anything).
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Wife got one for me for my birthday. Playing on it right now and it is damn sexy. Quick loads and very sleek. Still gotta get used the the apps and overall interface but thus far it seems very user friendly.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I'm looking at a Microsoft Surface RT right now.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Wife has the Surface Pro and likes it a lot. She is high speed and low drag as an EE. She she chose the Pro because it works with all the work software and what not. She put OneNote on it and pretty much tossed paper notebooks. She has the keyboard that attaches to it. I guess it takes a little practice to get used to it. If I didn't have and Ipad and a Mac Air I would probably get one.

This may seem like blasphemy, but I kind of like the Windows 8 set up.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

A friend got a chromebook, and he actually installed a version of Ubuntu Linux on it. Seems it's pretty easy, and he said that's what all the hackers are doing these days. Putting in a slightly larger SSD and installing Linux and dual booting that with the regular chromebook stuff.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

The Chromebook off the shelf and as is, is an awesome value, no complaints, in fact it's a pleasure relative to my otherwise capable laptop.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

j-cubed wrote:A friend got a chromebook, and he actually installed a version of Ubuntu Linux on it. Seems it's pretty easy, and he said that's what all the hackers are doing these days. Putting in a slightly larger SSD and installing Linux and dual booting that with the regular chromebook stuff.
What benefits would dual booting give him? I mean, I can see the appeal for someone who loves to customize but I've found that the majority of my needs are taken care of after a little adjustment using googles stuff.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Surface is not long for this world and is best avoided.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:The Chromebook off the shelf and as is, is an awesome value, no complaints, in fact it's a pleasure relative to my otherwise capable laptop.
An advantage is there is the lack of crap-ware kids can install with a Windows PC.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:The Chromebook off the shelf and as is, is an awesome value, no complaints, in fact it's a pleasure relative to my otherwise capable laptop.
An advantage is there is the lack of crap-ware kids can install with a Windows PC.

I like that idea. Also less they can screw up.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

DARTH wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

I like that idea. Also less they can screw up.
Kids and wife.

I pulled an old laptop out of storage and dusted it off to go on the kitchen table for my kids to do their homework on and my wife to futz around on Facebook.

Like all old PCs, I've basically got it stuck together and running with bandaid solutions. When (not if) it croaks I'm thinking that a $250 Chromebook will probably be the ticket to replace it. Grassy ass to you all with your input.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I believe I posted that Spotify doesn't work on Chromebook around Xmas time. The Google web App for it is working great now. Just fyi, I am rockin' out to Method Man's version of "All That I Need" as I write this update and it's crystal clear.