Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Against The Day

Post by Hagbard »

Thomas Ruggles Pynchon

Fan -fucking-tastic. I liked it better than V and found it easier to read than GR. This author has not declined with age. Damn.
?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Re: Against The Day

Post by nafod »

I'm still struggling with Gravity's Rainbow. It's like reading a math text, each sentence/equation requires studying.

Put it down to reread A Confederacy of Dunces, which is funnier than I remembered it from 30 years ago.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Get A Gravity's Rainbow Companion by Steven Weisenburger, it makes a huge difference. Reading it like a normal novel is like doing matrix algebra in your head or juggling an infinite number of balls...rather difficult. GRC keeps you on track, provides a concordance and makes it much easier.
?

Topic author
Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Hoity Toity? Ninja please.
Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Day
?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Hagbard wrote:Get A Gravity's Rainbow Companion by Steven Weisenburger, it makes a huge difference. Reading it like a normal novel is like doing matrix algebra in your head or juggling an infinite number of balls...rather difficult. GRC keeps you on track, provides a concordance and makes it much easier.
I'll have to look for it. In the interim, I've just restarted the book. I'd lost my place, and forgotten what was going on anyway. Everything is making better sense now. The book is, however, "bonecrushingly dense", as one critic put it.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

it is bonecrushingly dense, fer sure. Funny and disgusting, also.
?