Almost Human

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Almost Human

Post by WildGorillaMan »

New series, basically Bladerunner in a non-dystopic near future, except that the androids are cops too.

Formulaic and admittedly predictable buddy-cop format: one human cop, one android cop, learning to work together. Layered onto that is them dealing with the ramifications of sci-fi technology: DNA bombs that contaminate a crime scene to foil forensics, altered identities, android hookers, etc.

I like it, but I suspect it will get cancelled mid-season.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Almost Human

Post by buckethead »

There's characters other than Minka in this show?

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Dick and Asimov in a blender. Nonetheless, I like it enough to give it a chance. Urban may do well.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Schlegel wrote:Dick and Asimov in a blender. Nonetheless, I like it enough to give it a chance. Urban may do well.
I saw Dredd and Star Trek: Into Darkness in the same week. It was a trip seeing him play two diametrically different yet both iconic sci fi characters.
You'll Hurt Your Back

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

WildGorillaMan wrote:I saw Dredd and Star Trek: Into Darkness in the same week. It was a trip seeing him play two diametrically different yet both iconic sci fi characters.
Dredd was a shameless copy of The Raid: Redemption.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

Actually the exact opposite is what happened. Dredd just took a long time to
get made, so the movie copying its storyline came out first.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Urban's pretty good. Like him as McCoy as well.

Not even a tenth enough Minka though.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Schlegel wrote:Actually the exact opposite is what happened. Dredd just took a long time to
Anyway, Dredd sucked ass (it was so bad I even liked Stallone's version better) and The Raid was a fine action movie with powerful fight scenes.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

SubClaw wrote:
Schlegel wrote:Actually the exact opposite is what happened. Dredd just took a long time to
Anyway, Dredd sucked ass (it was so bad I even liked Stallone's version better) and The Raid was a fine action movie with powerful fight scenes.
I expected to hate Dredd, but I dug it. Even though there was too much sunlight for Mega City One.

I actually really liked Stallone's Judge Dredd.
You'll Hurt Your Back

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

This shows not as bad as I expected.

I would change my last name if Minka Kelly called me.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

I also think this show is a surprising over-achiever. Interesting how much of the tech is cool and 'futuristic,' but still stuff that makes you think, 'yeah, why don't we already have that?'

Based on Doom and LOTR, I used to think Urban sucked. But, I thought his dredd was WORLDS better than Stallone, and obviously truer to the comic.

Let me close out 2013 with the understatement of the year: Minka Kelly is sorta hot.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

Dirt McGirt wrote:I also think this show is a surprising over-achiever. Interesting how much of the tech is cool and 'futuristic,' but still stuff that makes you think, 'yeah, why don't we already have that?'

Based on Doom and LOTR, I used to think Urban sucked. But, I thought his dredd was WORLDS better than Stallone, and obviously truer to the comic.

Let me close out 2013 with the understatement of the year: Minka Kelly is sorta hot.
Urban also slept walked through a recent sci fi movie called "Priest" (sort of an apocalyptic vampire/steampunk Western) as "the Black Hat", but that was the fault of the role, not him.

I accidentally caught most of an episode of "Almost Human", and while I liked it (and Urban), I also thought "Didn't they do this already with "Total Recall 2070" (one season)" back in the 90s?" No joke: human and android partners who are cops, investigating various high tech crimes and mysteries with big conspiracy themes in the backstory. It was pretty well done and tried to be philosophical and brooding when the writers could sneak it in.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:
Dirt McGirt wrote:I also think this show is a surprising over-achiever. Interesting how much of the tech is cool and 'futuristic,' but still stuff that makes you think, 'yeah, why don't we already have that?'

Urban also slept walked through a recent sci fi movie called "Priest" (sort of an apocalyptic vampire/steampunk Western) as "the Black Hat", but that was the fault of the role, not him.

I accidentally caught most of an episode of "Almost Human", and while I liked it (and Urban), I also thought "Didn't they do this already with "Total Recall 2070" (one season)" back in the 90s?" No joke: human and android partners who are cops, investigating various high tech crimes and mysteries with big conspiracy themes in the backstory. It was pretty well done and tried to be philosophical and brooding when the writers could sneak it in.
Was Priest based on the stuff from (I think) Garth Ennis?

Re: Been there, done that...

When did Hollywood or TV ever have an original idea?
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

Yeah, Karl Urban is pretty 'flat,' which is probably why he did so well as Dredd.

Again, however, all it takes is for me to scroll past the pictures of Minka Kelly before I decide the producers of this show are geniuses...

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Season 1 Episode 9 features Gina Carrano as a killer android doing what she does best: kicking ass, looking hot, and not talking very much.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3361358/?ref_=tt_ep_ep3

You'll Hurt Your Back

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I'm surprised that Urban is doing a network TV show at this point in his career. HBO sure but Fox?

I had hopes for the show and I like him in LOTR and Star Trek but I have not watched this in weeks.

It will soon die and he'll go off and make the next Dredd.

I still have to see the Dredd he did.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

DARTH wrote:
I think you'll be surprised. I expected that I would hate it. And I did for about the first five minutes, but he won me over in the role.

Spoiler: he never takes off his helmet.
You'll Hurt Your Back

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

WildGorillaMan wrote:
DARTH wrote:
I think you'll be surprised. I expected that I would hate it. And I did for about the first five minutes, but he won me over in the role.

Spoiler: he never takes off his helmet.
Already a winner than, Dredd never does.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

You'll like it. I was upset that they used Maw Maw as the main baddie until I watched it but she turns out to be a bad bitch.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I was really hoping this thread would have stuck with Minka. Instead it sounds like a discussion by the characters of The Big Bang Theory

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

BucketHead wrote:I was really hoping this thread would have stuck with Minka. Instead it sounds like a discussion by the characters of The Big Bang Theory
Speaking of the Devil... TBBT's Bernadette is a fine piece of ass (and superb tits).

Topic author
WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Hopefully now that they're developing more of her character's background Minka Kelly will get more screentime and (ideally) less wardrobe before the series gets cancelled.

You'll Hurt Your Back