Alternatives to Google Reader

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Alternatives to Google Reader

Post by Protobuilder »

I just saw the news that Google is pulling the plug on one of their two products that has always done what it was supposed to, without problem.

Replacements?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Re: Alternatives to Google Reader

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Terry B. wrote:I just saw the news that Google is pulling the plug on one of their two products that has always done what it was supposed to, without problem.

Replacements?

Just got that pop up tonight..FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck. Reader is about the only thing I really like about the google apps.

I used Feedburner for a time, found it clunky WRT to outside sites like Tumblr, FB et al.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

http://www.newsblur.com/ is coming up in searches for an alternative but I haven't tried it. Every other search turns up things designed for iOS or Android but nothing really cross-platform.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

"google reader alternative" is already coming up in my auto complete for searches.

Newsblur, from Search Engine Land, one of the best web news (primarily search engine news, obviously) operations out there:
http://searchengineland.com/google-read ... lur-151541

Lifehacker with other alternatives. Newsblur is included in their list:
http://lifehacker.com/5990456/google-re ... ternatives

I'm just looking into this now, but haven't had a chance to check most stuff out. I use Flipboard and Feedly for some stuff, but they're not good as a Google Reader alternative, they just make some stuff a little more enjoyable to browse.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

baffled wrote:they just make some stuff a little more enjoyable to browse.
THESE ARE CRITICAL ISSUES!

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
baffled wrote:they just make some stuff a little more enjoyable to browse.
THESE ARE CRITICAL ISSUES!
I haven't tried Flipboard for pr0n, but I'm guessing it could be a lot of fun if it'll still show images.

Give it a shot and report back?
- Buck Brannaman

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

My Reader is pretty SFW. Most interesting why didn't i think of that pron is on tumblr anyway hence I keep it there with my other blog dashboard.

Just tried feedly, haven't found a mode that will let me work through my blog roll as quickly.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:My Reader is pretty SFW. Most interesting why didn't i think of that pron is on tumblr anyway hence I keep it there with my other blog dashboard.

Just tried feedly, haven't found a mode that will let me work through my blog roll as quickly.
Yeah, Feedly's not quite the same. I jumped to Flipboard quickly, but still tap into Feedly from time to time. It's a little easier to track RSS in iOS. Haven't taken a look to see if it's even available on Android.

Newblur's swamped and according to the Twitter account, isn't likely to be ready for the new load for a week or so.

I guess there isn't a real rush since there are still over 3 months left til Google Reader shuts down.
- Buck Brannaman

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Flipboard on saving your RSS feeds:
http://inside.flipboard.com/2013/03/14/ ... feeds-now/
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I've used Flipboard for iPad and it's not bad though not nearly as functional for reading tons and tons of feeds.

I have Reeder on my iPad that I use a lot - used to use it on my Mac though when they went "pay" for OS X, I decided that it wasn't enough to replace Reader but perhaps I will look into it. I use a PC in my office so prefer that it goes both ways.

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Mr reader kicks the ever loving shit out of reeder on the iPad. I ditched reeder long ago. Be interesting to see how the maps adapt to this
- Buck Brannaman

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The only thing that matters to me as I look for an alternative is how quickly the mobile app will allow me to skim through all of my feeds. Desktop or web-based apps are irrelevant.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete »

I posted this on the FSF before I saw this thread:

That sucks. But I am using Flipboard which takes care of iOS, and will apparently automatically import your google feed

http://inside.flipboard.com/2013/03/14/ ... feeds-now/

Looking at http://theoldreader.com for the desktop. They are flooded with requests since GR announced it is going away, so you can't currently import Google Reader account feeds (it says try later). Which is actually ok, as I am taking it as a chance to weed out the blogs I don't care about, adding the best feeds one at a time to The Old Reader.

Other (free) options?
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete »

We don't want to miss anything from the Moynihan Institute.
"All you have to do is decide that wherever you are is the best place there is. Once you start comparing one place to another, there's no end to it."- Sodo Yokoyama

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete »

http://coedtoplesspulpfiction.wordpress.com

And my blogs on literature! Cannot miss updates!

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Following Google’s announcement to kill off Google Reader on July 1st, Digg on Thursday revealed it is building an RSS reader. The company is planning to reproduce many of the features from Google’s soon-to-be-defunct service, and throw in some new ones as well.

“We hope to identify and rebuild the best of Google Reader’s features (including its API), but also advance them to fit the Internet of 2013, where networks and communities like Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit and Hacker News offer powerful but often overwhelming signals as to what’s interesting,” the company promises. “Don’t get us wrong: we don’t expect this to be a trivial undertaking. But we’re confident we can cook up a worthy successor.”

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/03/14/d ... g-its-api/

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

I just imported all my subscriptions to theoldreader.com. I'm currently 7068th in line for uploading... will report back.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Jezzy Bell wrote:I just imported all my subscriptions to theoldreader.com. I'm currently 7068th in line for uploading... will report back.
how is it sposed to interface with tumblr et al?

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Jezzy Bell wrote:I just imported all my subscriptions to theoldreader.com. I'm currently 7068th in line for uploading... will report back.
how is it sposed to interface with tumblr et al?
Goddammit, I don't know! I'm grieving here! They're killing reader!

Srsly tho, I keep my tumblring separate, so not a consideration.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

Yogalete

Post by Yogalete »

http://blog.theoldreader.com/post/45337 ... out-google

Just look at them. We are in good hands.

Stillwater
Staff Sergeant

Post by Stillwater »

I've tried a few and so far I'm liking http://www.feedly.com the best.

I'm still waiting for oldreader to import my file. Did mine at about 8AM EST and it said I was 19K in line.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - Helen Keller

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I started out at 37,000+. I'm not 34,005. I think I was one of the people who had their queue positions messed up. Otherwise, they're only getting about 1,000 people imported per day.

Since I have no idea what sort of server and computing requirements this would need, I'm not sure if I'm impressed or bummed.
- Buck Brannaman

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

I have no idea what this thread is about.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Stillwater wrote:I've tried a few and so far I'm liking http://www.feedly.com the best.
For my tastes, Feedly needs to provide a more minimalist option on their mobile app. It's too magazine-like, and that makes it harder to scan through a lot of blog posts quickly. Their desktop app, which I won't use, apparently has a setting that shows titles only, but that hasn't made it to Android yet.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Feedly's web based service is good enough. It's still a little bit of a pain in the ass compared to Reader, but that's okay.

I'm looking forward to seeing what The Old Reader is like, once the other 21,000+ people ahead of me are finished importing.
- Buck Brannaman