bodyCushion Support system

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Abandoned by Wolves

bodyCushion Support system

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

This is an 'orthopedic repositioning device' - in other words, a cleverly designed set of bolsters (made out of memory foam) that help a client relax better when lying on a clinic table - or on the floor.

The advertising and marketing for this device in the massage magazines and supply catalogs is high profile and aggressive, and the ad copy has a lot of pseudo-scientific hype (though not nearly as overblown as Dragon Door catalogs), and it is rather expensive for what you get. But it was interesting and intriguing enough that I ordered several of their "applications" DVDs to see how it worked. I was impressed enough with the info on the DVDs that I gambled $280 for the basic four piece unit.

Someone at the warehouse screwed up and sent me the 'Full Pro System' instead, which included a set of wedges, extenders and pads (and a caddy to hold them) along with the basic 4 piece set (supposedly another $150 value). Since I had just had to fork out $330 for a new starter for my car engine two days before the package arrived, I was very pleased with this mistake in my favor. Heh.

Anyway...the basic idea is that the cushions support the body in such a way that the client is able to relax more easily than if he was simply lying on a flat table (even with the traditional 'face plate' and ankle bolster to eliminate neck and instep discomfort). Because of the modular nature of the unit, its use are very flexible - the client can lie face down, face up, or on their side, hips tilted, the lower back further decompressed, shoulders open, etc. Because the units are made out of memory foam, they don't compress under the client's weight (unlike pillows, blankets, etc). And the use of proper positioning both makes the structure you want to work on more easily accessible and starts areas of chronic strain and tension to be prestretched (or placed in a position of passive shortening).

And, as the hype goes, amazing results come instantly, you become the world's best massage therapist, clients come to your door in an unending stream of prosperity, and you ascend to Heaven on a cloud of golden incense.

Actually, the bodyCushion works pretty well. It's not perfect, of course - about 1/2 of my clients prefer the flat table to the cushions.But the other half love it, once they get used to the novelty. That proportion may change as I become more skilled at adjusting things to the client's proportions and needs. (A person with swayback, for instance, might need a different setup than a person with flat back or scoliosis).

Working with draped, nude clients for traditional Swedish and deep tissue work is a pain, because it's hard to protect their modesty when they turn over - you have to rearrange things extensively to transition from supporting face down position to 'face up' position etc. However, it works VERY well for shiatsu and Thai massage type applications, where the client is mostly dressed anyway. Again, this may improve with practice.

My best use for it, so far, has actually been in the area of self care. I can arrange the cushions to support me in a face up position, lie back, and completely zone out for 10-15 minutes. The curves and ridges in the chest and pelvic units is perfectly designed to put gentle supportive pressure on the back muscles and to encourage opening and relaxation of the pecs, groin, shoulders, etc. The results are better than a nap - everything seems to realign and let go, and I feel lighter and more integrated.

In the same vein, I have a mildly amusing anecdote. The day I got the bodyCushion, I arranged it on my table downstairs and left for work. My roommate came down a couple hours later to see it (she'd seen the ads I was looking at, and saw a bit from a couple of the DVDs). According to my roommate, she laid face down on it, to try it out. She remembers thinking, "Hmmm, this is actually pretty comfort..." and then waking up three hours later.

So this might be a more practical alternative to those of you thinking of buying a BodyBridge or an Inversion table.

So, do you 'have' to have one of these, especially for a $300+ investment?? If you are patient, and have a good supply of pillows, blankets, bolsters, orthopedic foam rollers, yoga blocks, etc, and don't mid fussing with them to get the support you want, no you don't need this.
But this IS a convenient way to achieve 'positional orthopedic release' for bad backs, etc. for you and anyone you want to give good massages to. If you have the money to spare, you could certainly do worse.

There is another popular 'orthopedic repositioning system' out there, called the "Chattanooga Split Pivot Support system" or some such. I don't know how well it compares to the bodyCushion in terms of effectiveness. For all I know, it may be far superior to the bodyCushion and the bodyCushion is for rubes and massage therapists who just fell off the turnip truck.

I would recommend getting one of the 'applications' DVDs first (they run about $30 each). Some of the applications are quite clever and sophisticated, and they might add quite a bit to your arsenal of relaxation and therapy techniques.

http://www.bodysupport.com
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man