Books for those who can read

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Hank Scorpio
A Mean Caucasian

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Gav wrote:
steamboatwillie wrote:The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
Don't want to piss on anyone's fireworks but do a bit of googling on this. Apparently, it's not a true story.
Because Soviet paperwork says he was released? Trusting Soviet records to provide a definitive account of the truth is just fucking laughable, you limey wanker.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
Ha Ha Ha Ha ....

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

steamboatwillie wrote:Trusting Soviet records to provide a definitive account of the truth is just fucking laughable
Yes, imagine the BBC wasting all that money making a documentary on why it wasn't true when they could have just asked you.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh »

I checked out all these allegations when I read the book. Rawicz had no motive to make it up: He made little money off the book, donated most of it to charity, and did nothing to market himself. The BBC, on the other hand, has an obvious motive to attempt to discredit him.

Now, if he said he survived the long walk due to his previous years of KB training and he started hawking Rawicz Kettlebells...

The Rawicz Kettlebell Corporation. RKC. Heh.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

On Killing by Dave Grossman is, by far, the most fascinating book I've read in a long time.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Land of Plenty by Fuchsia Dunlop
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

On Killing is a great book.

Some of the Killers I know have said the book makes some great points, and some not so great, but overall they all advised me to read it.

His Wolf, Sheep and Sheep Dog points about personalities is a pillar of truth IME.
I'm a Sheep Dog.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I'm a cat.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Most interesting was the fact that Pre-Vietnam real war scenes would be laughable compared to what movies show us. Civil War battles had troops lined up at 30 yds. shooting volleys that should have dropped 150 men. One or two would fall. Ancient battles were basically shield shoving matches. Alexander the Great's army only had 700 killed in action while conquering millions. It makes Thermopolae a lot more understandable.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I would be very surprised if it wasn't a shoving match; in any combat sports I've seen--even ones where ostensibly you want to maintain range--it is very difficult to do so with two parties in aggressive forward movement.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Jack wrote:Certainly they shoved to vie for position or to break ranks on the enemy side. But once routed, slaughter.
I think you are misinterpreting me. This is what I meant. The shoving was to break the enemy ranks, at which point they were kebab'd.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DARTH wrote: His Wolf, Sheep and Sheep Dog points about personalities is a pillar of truth IME.
I'm a Sheep Dog.
Ah yes indeed. I linked to that in another topic...
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11528
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Let me just go on record as saying that that is juvenile, even puerile, to the point of ridiculousness. There's only three kinds of people. Riiiight. People who buy into these kinds of models, the kind that don't, and the kind that take the time to point out how fucking stupid mental straitjackets like this are. I am the third kind of person.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Jack wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:
Jack wrote:Certainly they shoved to vie for position or to break ranks on the enemy side. But once routed, slaughter.
I think you are misinterpreting me. This is what I meant. The shoving was to break the enemy ranks, at which point they were kebab'd.

Oh, ok, got ya. Thanks.
An interesting latter day tactic of the Renaissance is the "pike and shot" formations that would use essentially phalanx-like tactics in alternation with arquebus volleys. Swiss mercenaries were famous for these methods, and I believe they were inspired by the records of Greek tactics.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote:Let me just go on record as saying that that is juvenile, even puerile, to the point of ridiculousness. There's only three kinds of people. Riiiight.
From the article...
This business of being a sheep or a sheep dog is not a yes-no dichotomy. It is not an all-or-nothing, either-or choice. It is a matter of degrees, a continuum.
Etc.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Then what is its use? Can I be a sheepwolf?

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Jack wrote:Troy, people in Greece wiped out each others tribes and villiages wholesale and then ruined the farms too. The xtian ethos and morals of Civil War vets is not the mind of a Hoplite looking to settle a dispute with an enemy.
The book is complex enough, as you know, that I don't want to get into the details. However, a Hoplite was different in that he had a long-range weapon (pike), and mechanical distance makes it easier, and was in formation (crew served weapons nearly always kill).

The Christian thing falls apart when you look at the Falklands. Two Christian nations, one side is given operant conditioning and 95% of the riflemen shoot, once side doesn't and 15-20% shoot.
Alexander and his ilk later killed aplenty. The Greeks dropped heroic combat in favor of disciplined ranks. That's why ME types lost to them.
Their enemies frequently wouldn't.

Also, there is substantially easier to kill a fleeing enemy or wipe out civilians in atrocities under the right circumstances.
Fat Cat wrote:I would be very surprised if it wasn't a shoving match; in any combat sports I've seen--even ones where ostensibly you want to maintain range--it is very difficult to do so with two parties in aggressive forward movement.
I'm generally talking about relatively disorganized single combat with smaller weapons. Pikemen generally kill easier than swordsmen, archers easier than pikemen, and artillery crews don't give a fuck.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

What overcomes the morals issue in the case of the Falklands, is the training toward killing that the Britts use.

They used a figure 11 target, that was the shape size, and painted like a Soviet Trooper.
That coupled with the aggressivness of the units used, it was largly a Para, Royal Marine and SAS/SBS show on the ground.

If you have read the book, this is coverd under stimulis response training and why Video games do help training for killing.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote:Then what is its use? Can I be a sheepwolf?
Yea, it's called being in the middle ranks of the bully hierarchy. Pick on old ladies and children but are otherwise a pussy.

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

DARTH wrote:They used a figure 11 target, that was the shape size, and painted like a Soviet Trooper.
That coupled with the aggressivness of the units used, it was largly a Para, Royal Marine and SAS/SBS show on the ground.
After the Falklands, the Paras trained with 2/75 Rangers, in '85. A Para told me about bayonetting Argentinians who were cowering in their sleeping bags.... It clearly bothered the Para, but they had to do it.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

DARTH wrote:What overcomes the morals issue in the case of the Falklands, is the training toward killing that the Britts use.

They used a figure 11 target, that was the shape size, and painted like a Soviet Trooper.
And had them shooting at them from realistic shooting positions, and with a rewarding process. That's what I meant by operant conditioning.

Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Fat Cat wrote:
Jack wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:

Oh, ok, got ya. Thanks.
An interesting latter day tactic of the Renaissance is the "pike and shot" formations that would use essentially phalanx-like tactics in alternation with arquebus volleys. Swiss mercenaries were famous for these methods, and I believe they were inspired by the records of Greek tactics.

Sorry Senior Pussy Cat,

The pike and shot formation was developed by the Spaniards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_%28weapon%29

The Swiss and Germans relied upon Halberds and Long swords as part of their pike formations.

BTW- here is a nice picture of the swiss & Landsknecht model:

BB2/75
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Baroque Cycle

finished this up over the weekend, great trilogy. Stephenson gave a good shake at how newton, leibniz etc may have acted and even thought. Not too shabs. Lots of fun, with a pretty reasonable level of "thinking" involved for a mass market recreational book.
?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

nafod wrote:
Yea, it's called being in the middle ranks of the bully hierarchy. Pick on old ladies and children but are otherwise a pussy.
Wow. It's almost like science. Almost.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Fat Cat wrote:
nafod wrote:
Wow. It's almost like science. Almost.
Yea, kind of like psychology.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Stick to your simplified reality. Life outside of the fishbowl would be overwhelming for a delicate person like you.