Chromebox

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
j-cubed
Gunny

Chromebox

Post by j-cubed »

I know there was a thread a while back about Chromebooks...

My little girl went away to college, and while the wifi in their dorm is super fast, it is also WPA2-Enterprise protected. Basically you have to login to the wifi with both a username and password.

This sucks because the smart TV's they took to watch Netflix and HBOgo do not do WPA-2 Enterprise logins. Neither does chromecast, apple TV, roku, Amazon fire TV, etc. Basically you need a real OS for this type of login.

Enter the Asus Chromebox. The cheaper version, which I got, uses a Celeron processor and has 2GB RAM (you can hack it and add more memory if you want). They also have versions with i3 and i7 CPU's.
My daughter reports back that it works great. They are using it with google docs, viewing school event calendars, web browsing as well as Netflix and HBO go.

To test it before taking it out there, I hooked it up to my 4K TV at home, and it was able to output 4K.
I used to be a little "meh" with these types of devices, but I can see how something like this could be handy hooked up to my big screen at home.

Chris McClinch
Sarge

Re: Chromebox

Post by Chris McClinch »

Sounds like a nice fix. Also sounds like I'll be ignoring Verizon's recommendation that I upgrade my wi-fi security to WPA2 if Rokus won't connect to it.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Now that is interesting and useful. Thanks!
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Topic author
j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

WPA2 is fine, it's WPA2-Enterprise that is the problem. The former only needs a wifi password, the latter requires a login and password.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Not entirely sure but I believe the Xiaomi TV box can do it.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Now that is interesting and useful. Thanks!
:hda:
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"