Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Kurt J. Wilkens
Coprophage, Junior Grade

Re: David Wellington Zombie Trilogy & Zombie Books Not Read Yet

Post by Kurt J. Wilkens »

Jack -

I read 'Monster Island' and enjoyed it enough to buy the second book - which I've not yet read. (I've never been much of a zombie guy, so this may or may not be significant.) My first exposure to Wellington was his most recent novel, '13 Bullets', a vampire tale - which, again, I found readable enough to look up his zombie trilogy. Take it for what its worth ...

I also have 'Day-by-Day Apocalypse' around here somewhere (guess I'm slowly becoming a zombie guy after all), but I have yet to read that one either. So, really, there may be no point to this part of the post ... Anyway, I do recall that the author of 'Day-by-Day Apocalypse' has the first 75 or so pages up on his website, if you're inclined to check it out before buying: TacticalUnderground.us/

Wish I could be more helpful, FWIW to you, etc ...

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I've read none of these, but the Zombie Survival Guide is a good read.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

beefheart
Sergeant Commanding

Post by beefheart »

I read Monster Island and Monster Nation based on this topic (I don't know if I've ever mentioned that Mrs. Beef is the bookmobile lady).

I would say 'fair." I was hoping for a 'nuts and bolts' zombie tale --i.e. WORLD WAR Z-- rather than the kinda The Stand pastiche it turns into about two-thirds the way through. Still Wellington is a fresh enough voice to keep the first two volumes interesting and I've put Monster Planet on hold at the library.
ab g-d wrote:I can't understand how, given the training they did, the cavemen beat the dinosaurs.

itisjustafleshwound
Private

Post by itisjustafleshwound »

I like them, a Diff take on the all zombie thing. He had most of them online for free for a long time, you maybe able to still find a copy floating around if you look.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I went to get Monster Island and it was out so I looked at some of his other stuff and picked up "99 Coffins" which is a historical vampire novel revolving around Gettysburg. Apparently it's a sequel to "13 Bullets" but I didn't know that.

So far it's engaging and interesting. I'm enjoying it.

IGx LESBIAN ALERT!
The protagonist in these two novels is a butchy lesbian. If our resident L's have an interest in mild horror w/a lesbian hero, this is a place that may interest you.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party