Deadwood: HBO series

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Deadwood: HBO series

Post by Eric B »

Damn good stuff. I've begun the third and final season, and it makes me sad there isn't much more left.

Ian McShane is a goddam genius as Al Swearengen. So is Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran. In fact, there are so many great character actors that it's almost hard to name leads. For the most part, the characters are actual persons who lived in Deadwood.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-deadwoodhbo.html

The language-- completely obscene-- makes me pay closer attention. I think a repeat viewing will bear even more fruit.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Deadwood: HBO series

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

Just watched it again with someone who had never seen it. The first season remains one of the best seasons of TV ever.

Can't believe there is an IGxer who ain't seen it yet.

Mandatory viewing.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Brad Dourif is just one of our best character actors. He probably does the most nuanced performance in the series. Swearengen becomes somewhat of a caricature as the series progresses.

The doc and the priest in the first season are golden.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I have only seen one episode and I want to see more.

Mchane is a great actor, I liked Lovejoy back in the day and I liked him as King Sol in Kings, one of the best shows to get the boot.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

SNAKE EYES wrote:I have only seen one episode and I want to see more.

Mchane is a great actor, I liked Lovejoy back in the day and I liked him as King Sol in Kings, one of the best shows to get the boot.
Christ dude, WTF? That whole Sol role came right out of his performance in Deadwood. Darth, you will love the series. Watch it as soon as possible. Can't imagine you not wanting to kick the shit out of an injun, nigger, or chink after each episode.

JamesonBushmill
Staff Sergeant

Post by JamesonBushmill »

One of the ten best shows in the history of television.

All those who disagree suck cock by choice.
Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude. - Robb Wolf

lasalle

Post by lasalle »

Certainly one of the best shows ever (The Wire holding the title for the absolute best show ever). However, the last season irked me a bit-it clearly was meant to go at least one more season so there was too much left hanging. And the arc with the theater people was some self-indulgent bullshit. That said, the show was brilliant.

San Francisco cock sucker!

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

lasalle wrote:Certainly one of the best shows ever (The Wire holding the title for the absolute best show ever). However, the last season irked me a bit-it clearly was meant to go at least one more season so there was too much left hanging. And the arc with the theater people was some self-indulgent bullshit. That said, the show was brilliant.

San Francisco cock sucker!
The Wire is certainly the best TV series ever.

As far as the third season leaving us hanging (and I haven't seen the end of it yet), they didn't know they were being cancelled. They wrote as if there would be S4.

Al Swearengen: God rest the souls of that poor family... booze and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Just in case you're interested...Deadwood was not intended to end the way it did. I may not have this entirely correct but close enough. The creator/writer/producer of Deadwood, David Milch was also working on another series for HBO at the same time called John from Cincinnati. He wanted to do them both but was forced to choose or perhaps the choice was made for him...hard to say. There was talk of a Deadwood movie to clear it all up. But when the dust settled, John from Cincinnati was a bust, and a hit was cancelled.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Shapecharge wrote:Just in case you're interested...Deadwood was not intended to end the way it did. I may not have this entirely correct but close enough. The creator/writer/producer of Deadwood, David Milch was also working on another series for HBO at the same time called John from Cincinnati. He wanted to do them both but was forced to choose or perhaps the choice was made for him...hard to say. There was talk of a Deadwood movie to clear it all up. But when the dust settled, John from Cincinnati was a bust, and a hit was cancelled.
Way I heard it from the man himself, they cancelled the show without any notice and kept him in his contract to work on a new show geared for a younger and "broader" audience. He was fucking totally pissed. He didn't want to and couldn't work on two shows. (He suffers horribly from OCD shit around his writing. You should check out how he writes to get over it.)

He said OK: surfing. And gave them JFC (Jesus Fucking Christ) as a fuck you. Milch kinda knew that sorta surfing show wasn't going to go over the way HBO wanted it to.

The movie talk ended when some of the majors signed various deals which has left most of them floundering every since.

New Milch series next season about horse racing. Have my reservations with the casting of Hoffmann.

FWIW.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Shapecharge wrote:Just in case you're interested...Deadwood was not intended to end the way it did. I may not have this entirely correct but close enough. The creator/writer/producer of Deadwood, David Milch was also working on another series for HBO at the same time called John from Cincinnati. He wanted to do them both but was forced to choose or perhaps the choice was made for him...hard to say. There was talk of a Deadwood movie to clear it all up. But when the dust settled, John from Cincinnati was a bust, and a hit was cancelled.
Way I heard it from the man himself, they cancelled the show without any notice and kept him in his contract to work on a new show geared for a younger and "broader" audience. He was fucking totally pissed. He didn't want to and couldn't work on two shows. (He suffers horribly from OCD shit around his writing. You should check out how he writes to get over it.)

He said OK: surfing. And gave them JFC (Jesus Fucking Christ) as a fuck you. Milch knew that sorta surfing show wasn't going to go over the way HBO wanted it to.

The movie talk ended when some of the majors signed various deals which has left most of them floundering every since.

New Milch series next season about horse racing. Have my reservations with the casting of Hoffman.

FWIW.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Norman U. Senchbau wrote:
SNAKE EYES wrote:I have only seen one episode and I want to see more.

Christ dude, WTF? That whole Sol role came right out of his performance in Deadwood. Darth, you will love the series. Watch it as soon as possible. Can't imagine you not wanting to kick the shit out of an injun, nigger, or chink after each episode.
I don't need TV for inspiration. :axe:

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

Just finished the series and am bummed there isn't more. It might be even more quotable than The Wire.

Calamity Jane: Fuck yourself with a fist punch up your ass, today at the present moment.

Calamity Jane: You think I'm scared of you?
Al Swearengen: Sure you are. And if I take a knife to you you'll be scared worse and a long time dying.

Cy Tolliver: How about a nap, a bath and sex with a unfamiliar woman?

Al Swearengen: Say what you’re gonna say or prepare for eternal fucking silence.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Cy Tolliver wrote:You ain't seen a good woman 'til you've seen one with maggots in her eyes.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Just finished season 1, got 2 and three at the house ready to go.

Great show you cocksuckers!

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

I love most of the HBO series, but Deadwood was one I never got into.
A guy at work loaned me Season 1 a few weeks ago, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. This thread has inspired me, I'll dig in tonight after the kids go to bed.
John from Cincinnati fucking SUCKED!!

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

An observation.

Anyone else look at Farnum and Richardson and think "It's Black Adder and Baldrick."?