Fitbit Charge HR

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Fitbit Charge HR

Post by The Crawdaddy »

So I got this the end of January. Bottom Line: I like it. It's mostly a toy, but has some useful features (for me). Since I am only "allowed" to wear one thing on my wrist in uniform, I held out until they came up with one that has a watch function. Since I don't run except on the occasional dreadmill, GPS wasn't of any interest. Hence the Charge HR. Some general comments:

- The display is normally off to conserve power (good), but the button to turn on or scroll through displays is in kind of an awkward position for a righty - left side of the face (annoying).
- No "rash" issues like has been in the news, and I wear mine at night as I'm curious about sleep quality.
- With respect to the sleep tracking - Disturbances seem to largely track how I "feel" about my sleep quality day to day. Not really useful other than as a curiosity though.
- HR monitor aspect is nice. Tracks very well with the other monitors.
- Does a great job estimating calorie burn using the exercise logger that you start by holding the button. Self-generated numbers track most closely with walking or running calculators, but tracks closely with the C2 calorie tracker too when I check it. Works for me as an "idea" of where I am at each day.
- Battery only lasts 3-4 days, but recharges in about an hour - usually when I am sitting on my ass in the evening.
- I don't use the BT link to my cell. Can't since I work where I can't have either the tracker or my phone during the day. C'est la vie.
- Has the ability via the dashboard to track calories in/out once you enter what you've eaten. I used it a little, and the database is pretty good.
- Looks are fine. Width is about the same as a normal watch band. I have the black one, which works for me.

Shape would of course want the purple. :rock:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: Fitbit Charge HR

Post by Holland Oates »

I've been needing a new hr monitor and been kicking around whether to get a new polar strap or a fitbit.

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

One of the things I didn't post originally is that the display is customizable - you can choose what you want to see and in what order. So if you want HR first, you can have that.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Ez..I'd say wait. The up3 has an interesting proprietary sensor system, and there are more in the pipeline. Go cheap with a polar h7 and your smartphone.

I have a polar loop, and I've kept up with the tech trends...wearables are 'kinda' useful for people...for many the sleeping monitoring is the most important part, but you can get an app for that too.

The Fitbit charge hr is the current 'best' out there...the software and the up software integrate other apps like myfitnesspal and run keeper, you can keep track of a lot of stuff.

An interesting side note...Underarmor has bought up a bunch of popular fitness apps and I think they are working on a "One Ring"'type package, perhaps including a wearable.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Roger that.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

I've found the HR monitor to be all over the place during workouts where I'm moving my arms a lot. Brisk walking and jogging it seems to be fairly accurate though.

Also, even though it's not recommended, I still shower with mine on after workouts.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I think their literature states the HR can be off when moving arms a lot, especially in things like kickboxing. I don't believe it was meant to give a super accurate HR like a chest band for an individual workout. I think it was meant as a general HR monitoring throughout the day to get a general level of exertion.

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

I've found the step counter on this one to be far more accurate than my brother's FB Force. The charge doesn't seem to pick up as much arm movement and count it as steps taken.

The silent alarm is actually very handy as well.

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Croatoa wrote:IThe silent alarm is actually very handy as well.
I'm surprised I forgot to mention this. I find this to be one of the best aspects, especially when I'm on travel as I'm hard of hearing to the point that I need a shaker alarm to wake me. I used this function on travel this past week and it worked quite well.

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

double post....

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I hear they cause double posts
Don’t believe everything you think.

Topic author
The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

nafod wrote:I hear they cause double posts
deafness, shaker alarms, or dumbassedness?