Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Game of Thrones Season 4

Post by nafod »

Awesome kickoff.

My favorite part was how Arya knocked off two folks, and the way she finished it. With both, it was a slow, gentle insertion of the blade, after she either brained or hamstrung them, of course. The budding assassin.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Game of Thrones Season 4

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

The Arya progression is perfectly done. Bronn and Tyrion responding to "girls?" was a riot.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I just got to see Season 3 with the Watchathon On Demand thing.

Having read the books and Bronn being my favourite secondary character, I am glad they extended him on the show.

In the book at the point of season 3 he's got his own Keep and a wife and has thus far killed some asshole knight, who Cersi put up to challenging Bronn to a Joust, thinking that not being a raised knight, Bronn would suck at that.

Bronn runs his lance through the other guy's horse and then kills the fucker as he's trapped under his horse. :finga:

Bronn is the shit! :supz:

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Previews made it look like we're getting a wedding this week (in ep 2). But then I saw something else that said maybe what we're getting in ep 2 is the wedding-day breakfast, not the joyous event itself. So that would put the wedding in ep 3.

Seems early to me. But I guess not: I shouldn't be thinking of it as "early in season 4," but instead thinking of it as "halfway or so thru book 3." There's so much that happens after, that the Purple Wedding has to come soon.

I think a big battle up by The Wall is slated for ep 9.

Of course the really big question is, does book 6 come out before season 5 starts??
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

JimZipCode wrote: Of course the really big question is, does book 6 come out before season 5 starts??
Actually, the bigger question is will he finish the damn books before he dies ? I've heard that the series already has its own ending planned depending on how many more seasons there are.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI[/youtube]
Tantum validus superstes

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki »

I heard they plan 7 seasons (7 kingdoms, 7 God's, 7 seasons seemed right). He's gone over his outline for how it ends with the producers. I was thinking the wedding was the Big Event this year too. But looked over a synopsis of book three and think it's the battle at the wall. They showed the trial by combat scene in previews and that's after the wedding.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

JimZipCode wrote:maybe what we're getting in ep 2 is the wedding-day breakfast, not the joyous event itself. So that would put the wedding in ep 3.
Nope!
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

KingSchmaltzBagelHour

Post by KingSchmaltzBagelHour »

Great season so far. The special effects for the end of episode 2 were excellent and the acting by Joffery and Cersei sold everything as well as could be asked for.

However I heard that the actress who plays Daneryes now refuses to get naked?!? Fuck her.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

JimZipCode wrote:Previews made it look like we're getting a wedding this week (in ep 2). But then I saw something else that said maybe what we're getting in ep 2 is the wedding-day breakfast, not the joyous event itself. So that would put the wedding in ep 3.

Seems early to me. But I guess not: I shouldn't be thinking of it as "early in season 4," but instead thinking of it as "halfway or so thru book 3." There's so much that happens after, that the Purple Wedding has to come soon.

I think a big battle up by The Wall is slated for ep 9.
NO NO NO NO

YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FICTIONAL TELEVISION WEDDINGS! THROWING IN A LITTLE LINE AT THE END ABOUT A BATTLE IS NOT ENOUGH TO OVERCOME THE SHAME OF THE FIRST HALF OF YOUR POST.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

ButterCupPowerRanch wrote:Great season so far. The special effects for the end of episode 2 were excellent and the acting by Joffery and Cersei sold everything as well as could be asked for.

However I heard that the actress who plays Daneryes now refuses to get naked?!? Fuck her.
There were a bunch of articles last year about that since Rob Stark's chick (Oona Chaplin) gave an interview saying one of the actresses didn't want to get naked anymore. HBO/Producers said it wasn't true.

re: Season 4

Solid start. I've gotten to catch up a little the last couple days, and Game of Thrones has never failed to deliver.
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

baffled wrote:
ButterCupPowerRanch wrote:Great season so far. The special effects for the end of episode 2 were excellent and the acting by Joffery and Cersei sold everything as well as could be asked for.

There were a bunch of articles last year about that since Rob Stark's chick (Oona Chaplin) gave an interview saying one of the actresses didn't want to get naked anymore. HBO/Producers said it wasn't true.

re: Season 4

Solid start. I've gotten to catch up a little the last couple days, and Game of Thrones has never failed to deliver.
All of the wedding-related scenes bear repeat watching. Lots of little tidbits and details sprinkled in. GoT never puts a person in a shot, or gives them something to say, without a reason.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

nafod wrote: All of the wedding-related scenes bear repeat watching. Lots of little tidbits and details sprinkled in. GoT never puts a person in a shot, or gives them something to say, without a reason.
My nephew has read the books (as have I) and he said that there are "tells" in the show that indicate who the assassin is. I've gone back and watched it again, sometimes in slow motion but I've been unable to find them.
Tantum validus superstes

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Cave Canem wrote:My nephew has read the books (as have I) and he said that there are "tells" in the show that indicate who the assassin is. I've gone back and watched it again, sometimes in slow motion but I've been unable to find them.
I was watching closely for it. It's so subtle it's subliminal. It's easy to see when the poison is retrieved, but not when it's administered. They cutaway to an extreme long shot, and the assassin is way way way in the background of that shot, with lots of stuff happening foreground.

Or maybe I'm just wrong about who the assassin is. Maybe the poison is retrieved and then handed off to someone else, who administers it. That would be safer, to eliminate collateral damage. But that would mean that the someone else is a real piece of work.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I couldn't get into it at first, however, I am enjoying this season. I've actually reread the goddamn books twice, and I still can't remember what the fuck is going on.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

JimZipCode wrote:
Cave Canem wrote:My nephew has read the books (as have I) and he said that there are "tells" in the show that indicate who the assassin is. I've gone back and watched it again, sometimes in slow motion but I've been unable to find them.
I was watching closely for it. It's so subtle it's subliminal. It's easy to see when the poison is retrieved, but not when it's administered. They cutaway to an extreme long shot, and the assassin is way way way in the background of that shot, with lots of stuff happening foreground.

Or maybe I'm just wrong about who the assassin is. Maybe the poison is retrieved and then handed off to someone else, who administers it. That would be safer, to eliminate collateral damage. But that would mean that the someone else is a real piece of work.
I just watched the ending for the third time. I'm about sure of the who and when it gets retrieved, but not planted. Got to TIVO that thing.

The Crawdaddy

Post by The Crawdaddy »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I couldn't get into it at first, however, I am enjoying this season. I've actually reread the goddamn books twice, and I still can't remember what the fuck is going on.
Ha! Senior moment there Shafmongous?
Blaidd Drwg wrote:90% of the people lifting in gyms are doing it on "feel" and what they really "feel" like is being a lazy fuck.
"A good man always knows his limitations..." -- "Dirty" Harry Callahan

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

From Season One I have wanted that little puke Joffrey to die a horrible death. Now I miss him.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

not enough doggy style this season

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

The Crawdaddy wrote:
Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I couldn't get into it at first, however, I am enjoying this season. I've actually reread the goddamn books twice, and I still can't remember what the fuck is going on.
Ha! Senior moment there Shafmongous?
Totally understandable. The damn books are just fucking tedious. You can go hundreds of pages between a character's chapters and then you have to go back and re-read the prior one just to refresh yourself because there is just so much unnecessary crap. And it seems like he adds more characters than he kills off. I hope the show ends before the last two books come out because by then I won't give a shit about finishing the series.
Tantum validus superstes

xox

Post by xox »

49 Things You Never Knew About “Game Of Thrones”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/49-thing ... t-will-blo

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I also started watching Battlestar Galactica, which was my favorite show as a kid.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:I also started watching Battlestar Galactica, which was my favorite show as a kid.

Mine too.

The 79-80 one or the 2006 one?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

I give BSG v2.0 a solid B+ and the way it ends a solid A.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

If I had a valerian letter opener I'd name it BillPayer.