Inglorious Basterds

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Eric B
Gunny

Re: Inglorious Basterds

Post by Eric B »

That's the impression I got from the script: lotsa subtitles, a little asskicking, poor ending. I may catch it when it hits Netflix, but won't see it in the theater.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of actually venturing to the theater for this one.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! »

I was pissed off at "Death Proof" because it was obvious that QT had jumped the shark; become over-the-top self-indulgent, with no one to edit him.

Every review I've read of "Basterds" indicates that this is just more so. Do not want. Will not see.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

88% at Rotten Tomatoes.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Can any of you niggers find a bootleg so I can watch it at home? I also do not want to go the theater for it. No way my wife can handle subtitles for that long.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

T200 wrote:Can any of you niggers find a bootleg so I can watch it at home? I also do not want to go the theater for it. No way my wife can handle subtitles for that long.
Subtitles do suck when you're stoned

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

BucketHead wrote:
T200 wrote:Can any of you niggers find a bootleg so I can watch it at home? I also do not want to go the theater for it. No way my wife can handle subtitles for that long.
Subtitles do suck when you're stoned
Sez our man at NASA.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Sorry, I should have qualified my comment. From http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=25
T200 wrote:...It actually seems to go really well with bud (my wife is a 24-7 weed smoker)...

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Saw it Saturday. It was great. You should watch it.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Was exactly what I expected.
According to older interview's of his, the story to inglorious basterds started out as an italo-western and slowly, the story line evolved until it was set in nazi-occupied france.
You really notice this as well. Starting with the long introductory scene, the long, slow shots, close-ups, long dialogues, focus on miniscule elements, etc.
Him alternating very high paced action shots with long, slow paced build-ups was awesome as well.
Soundtrack was great. The "Stolz der Nation" movie inside the movie starring daniel brühl (who is a pretty famous movie star here in germany actually) was so over the top retarded and a great play on some ns-movie material as well as mindless consumerism...

The actor's were great.
I really enjoyed the extremely authentic german and french dialogues.
Most american movies totally fuck the foreign language thing up (see brüno, die hard, etc.), but here, both the french and the german dialogues were totally believeable.
I must say, since I'm fluent in german and english and speak okay french, all the language switching didn't bother me much, it only added entertainment value really and made the whole setting seem more realistic.
A bunch of the actors are pretty well-known in german speaking countries as well, which was a blast for the people here.
Maybe like you watching a bollywood-movie co-starring bruce willis, keanu reeves and scarlett johansson.

Brad Pitt did an awesome job, including accent and all.
Eli Roth was great.

Honestly, the movie was all I was expecting and more.
I could see how you wouldn't like it, if you expected a 2 hour nazi-slaughter fest, that is.

SPOILER

For fuck's sake, Eli Roth fucking shoots up hitler! That scene alone was fucking worth it.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
Now look. I've eaten a pice of pie.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

GoDogGo! wrote:I was pissed off at "Death Proof" because it was obvious that QT had jumped the shark; become over-the-top self-indulgent, with no one to edit him.

Every review I've read of "Basterds" indicates that this is just more so. Do not want. Will not see.
Yeah, my beef with "Death Proof" is that it was not a true "grindhouse" flick. The characters (especially the 2nd set, after the first group are all killed) spend way too much time and effort discussing old flicks they adored. Real grindhouse characters are no more "aware" of that stuff than fish are of the water they breathe - they just live it. You'll notice that none of the characters in the Rodriguez flick "Planet Terror" even mentioned George Romero.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

Deathproof was horrible. Nobody wants to listen to dumb cunts babble about stupid shit for 2 1/2 hours. Tarantino, who has written good dialog in the past, completely got up his own ass with this one. It not even believable or realistic dialog. Kurt Russel was good though.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Herv100 wrote:Deathproof was horrible. Nobody wants to listen to dumb cunts babble about stupid shit for 2 1/2 hours. Tarantino, who has written good dialog in the past, completely got up his own ass with this one. It not even believable or realistic dialog. Kurt Russel was good though.
Agree 100%.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Herv100 wrote: It not even believable or realistic dialog. Kurt Russel was good though.
It's not supposed to be.
I don't even think it was supposed to be a true grindhouse movie.
More an hommage to grindhouse cinema.
Shafpocalypse Now wrote: If I put this pie on end, and spin in, it forms a volume of space similar to a sphere.
When we spin the pie again, the area cut out of the volume of the sphere equals fitness.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Evidently, it's an homage to bitches sitting around talking about shit that nobody gives a fuck about.

Sort of like 'My Dinner With Andre' but with hotter chicks and more driving.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

What Kaz said. Even as an homage to Grindhouse, which means various exploitation movies, this has nothing to do with dumbassedly meandering dialog. Refer to the stupid 7 hour conversation about whether to do the car stunt towards the end. Its merely Tarantino jacking off to himself.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Best part about Grindhouse was the fake trailers.

Word on the street is that they'll actually make the Machete movie with Danny Trejo sometime this year or next.

I hope so...now that will be a true grindhouse homage if they do it right.

Damien
Sgt. Major

Post by Damien »

Machete will be fucking awesome.
They'd have to try real hard to fuck that one up.
Werewolf Women of the SS was said to maybe be made into a feature length movie. If they keep nicolas cage in as Dr. Fumanchu, that one could be awesome as well.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Yeah, the Werewolf SS thing was cool, but probably too campy to get made. I haven't heard anything about it getting made either.

RR is definitely making Machete.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

This can't miss

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8cCzltPD6Y[/youtube]

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Saw this on Saturday. Those of you who poo-pooed it are fucking high. This is a great movie. As stated earlier QT's superb at building tension through dialog then suddenly all hell breaks loose. That long scene in the basement bar was awesome. If that British officer wasn't the coolest mofo on the planet I don't know who is.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

This was a big, bizarro Jewish revenge fantasy.

Character development was nil.

It seemed edited to hell and back, but fucking Family Video only carries the fucking "rental" version of it.

Some stupid shit, like why didn't the Jew Basterds shoot the fucking theater up then get the fuck out of there, and why didn't the retarded french negro set fire and fucking run away. Idiocy.

Overall, it was entertaining, a touch over the top.

Call this "The Nazi Scalpers' Highly Edited Adventure"

T200
Sergeant Commanding

Post by T200 »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:This was a big, bizarro Jewish revenge fantasy.

Character development was nil.

It seemed edited to hell and back, but fucking Family Video only carries the fucking "rental" version of it.

Some stupid shit, like why didn't the Jew Basterds shoot the fucking theater up then get the fuck out of there, and why didn't the retarded french negro set fire and fucking run away. Idiocy.

Overall, it was entertaining, a touch over the top.

Call this "The Nazi Scalpers' Highly Edited Adventure"
I will send you the unedited version next time I send something.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I bought the shit and wish I had rented the shit.

Friend of mine said...it's EXCELLENT...it's a MUST SEE.

Meh...Tarantino almost nailed it, but he really dropped the ball.

That movie would have been just perfect if it had been about two things:

1. Brad Pitt spittin' that goddamned hilarious dialogue.
2. Stiglitz and Donowitz stabbin' motherfuckers and beatin' that ass with a bat.

The whole runaway Jew with jungle fever shit...fuck all that...did not care for her. And the subtitles were done to SHIT. Nigga, I like to read...but I don't like to read when I'm trying to watch a goddamned movie.

The shining light was that fucker who played the Jew Hunter or whatever they called him...that kraut lit the motherfuckin' screen up, and I hope they hang an Oscar on his ass cuz I think he deserves it.

Solid B+, but ultimately marred by my knowing what an absolutely marvelous piece of KILL PR0N this movie could have been.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Very unlikely that Jew-controlled Hollywood will award any Oscar to a Jew Hunter.