Ironwoody Kettlebells

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
bill fox

Ironwoody Kettlebells

Post by bill fox »

These are plate loading KBs along the lines of Ironminds or PDAs. The PDAs suck because they have a straight square handle. The Ironmind suck because they have the plates load the wrong way, both cost more.

The Ironwoody KB is the second best adjustable KB I've seen (the best being Sean's US) . They are quite a bit cheaper then US ($100 a pair shipped v. close to $400 shipped) particularly if you have a bunch of standard weight already.

The handle is too narrow for 2 hand work and hits the wrist on cleans a little. John (Ironwoody) tell me this will be remedied by new handles. You also have to sand off the raised words "US patent pending" which takes about 1 minute since the handles are plastic.

They are very secure and solid. The bar you put the weight on is solid and the allen bolts must be 3/4" thick. With 4 10lb plates (and a 5lb and 21/2 on each side) in the middle, RKC style snatches were very comfy. Swings were good, pressing was good. GS style snatches are no good due to the narrowness of handle.

Overall a high quality item except for the handle. If you have a bunch of standard plates a real nice deal for a student or weekend house - not a replacement for DD KBs for a real kettlebell man. To his credit, John knows this, and is looking to get a different set of people involved. John is a great guy, customer service I expect will be excellent.

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

Cool, thanks for the review Bill.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

cmedwin

Re: Ironwoody Kettlebells

Post by cmedwin »

bill fox wrote:
The handle is too narrow for 2 hand work and hits the wrist on cleans a little. John (Ironwoody) tell me this will be remedied by new handles. You also have to sand off the raised words "US patent pending" which takes about 1 minute since the handles are plastic.
that's about as close to a patent as those guys are going to get.

[email protected]