Jodorowsky’s Dune

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

Holy shit, this was an insane, breathtaking project-that-never-was helmed by a charismatic force.

I have not watched El Topo or The Holy Mountain, his earlier works, but am looking forwards to attempting them.

I watched the preview, but I’d advise going in blind. It’s more fun to get hit with the frying pan that this was.

For rent on Amazon and YouTube.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

I really enjoyed this show. ( But I'm a sucker for anything Dune related.)

Jodorowsky has had a really interesting life and is still going strong at 92.

Fwiw, I preferred Holy Mountain to El Topo.
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

I wish someone would put his version of Dune out in graphic novel form.

This site has done a great job of cobbling the story and art together...

https://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorow ... -uncovered
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

Watched El Topo this weekend, looking forwards to Holy Mountain. Thanks for the link, Vern! My buddy loves Moebius (and watched El Topo and Jodorowsky's Dune with me).

You read The Incal? I bet Ronald Raygun has.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

I haven't read the Incal, but I will if my library can get a hold of it. Santa Sangre is on the list too!

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

The San Diego Library system is pretty amazing, having nearly every book, but The Incal wasn’t in their holdings.

Bought a copy — there’s a new paperback version that came out a few months ago which seems to have corrected the tiny font of previous editions.

Gotta look up Santa Sangre!

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

I kind of live in the boonies but my library is amazing at getting books through the interlibrary loan program.

Hell, one time they sent a Lin Yutang book all the way from Maine to Washington state just so I could read it. No complaints here.

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

Nice find! Btw, ordered a Lin Yutang book after searching the name :)

Appreciated the sub-link (from your Christie’s piece) to the original manuscript’s contents:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 1DUmNiUnR3

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:10 pm Nice find! Btw, ordered a Lin Yutang book after searching the name :)

Appreciated the sub-link (from your Christie’s piece) to the original manuscript’s contents:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 1DUmNiUnR3
By all means read The Importance of Living. It's a treasure.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:07 am
That was the one I ordered, and it's waiting at the library for a pick-up. Appreciate the endorsement!

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

Am halfway through The Holy Mountain which so far makes no sense, is totally crazy, and I love it.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Fat Cat »

Bram wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:54 am
Fat Cat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:07 am
That was the one I ordered, and it's waiting at the library for a pick-up. Appreciate the endorsement!
It's very good. Apparently English was a second language but his level of writing is really exquisite that it's hard to believe he wasn't a native speaker.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Bennyonesix1

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

Fat Cat wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:57 pm
It's very good. Apparently English was a second language but his level of writing is really exquisite that it's hard to believe he wasn't a native speaker.
Thank for the compliment man. I do write well.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Fat Cat »

You really do.

vern

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by vern »

Yeah, The Importance of Living was the book.

Btw Bram...I think your thread here was probably responsible for that bidding war!

motherjuggs&speed

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by motherjuggs&speed »

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Bram »

vern wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:47 am Yeah, The Importance of Living was the book.

Btw Bram...I think your thread here was probably responsible for that bidding war!
Right on! Appreciate the multiple endorsements :) Haha, Irongarm is the new home of the influencer, soon we will all be shilling Vital Proteins and sponsored by Vuori.

Finished The Holy Mountain last night. Egad, the last 45 minutes was a slog! Though still punctuated with extremely weird fucked up shit, like a naked old man spraying milk from his jaguar titties.

Thanks for the link, MJ&S!

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Jodorowsky’s Dune

Post by Fat Cat »

motherjuggs&speed wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:53 pm You could just read it for free.

https://archive.org/details/TheImportan ... gLinYutang
Good find! It's written in stand alone chapters so you can just pick one to get a feel for the book as a whole. I enjoyed it.