Journey to the Wild Divine-Biofeedback Video Game

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
SAR

Journey to the Wild Divine-Biofeedback Video Game

Post by SAR »

Alright, here's the review.
First, the game's beautiful. Nice graphics, fun design.
It starts out by giving you a tutorial of different things you can do. (breathing exercises, relaxation, etc) The endpoints are actually manipulation of the gaming environment though, not feedback regarding your pulse, GSR, etc.
Interestingly, you'll just be getting the hang of things and you'll think "HEY I'm getting it!" and the distraction of that thought will end your progress abruptly. First time I noticed this was while trying to light up a fireplace, but it happens throughout the game.
A theoretical benefit of the game design is that it directly juxtaposes some elements of critical thought (keeping track of where you are geographically in the game, figuring out different puzzles, etc) with the "biofeedback" exercises. I could see where this is important because the game does not allow you to just veg out and sprout roots. Just like in real life, you get to try and control your psyche while logically dealing with whatever issue is there.

I couldn't really give you any objective benefits I've realized from this game. I'm not really a high strung person in general, don't have high blood pressure or migraines or stuff like that. However, I definitely feel chilled after a gaming session, and my sleep seems better on days that I play a while before going to bed.

Some people might feel the environment is a bit hokey, crunchy or otherwise Californian (heh, quick dig at MM and Cotter!) I would guess that some very fundamentalist Christians may find is contrary to their beliefs, as their is sorta a mystical/spiritual element to the game.

For those who have diagnosis for which biofeedback has been shown in peer review literature to help(migraines, hypertension, rheumatoid arthritis, some chronic pain syndromes), this game is a fantastic idea. I think anyone who's interested in meditative activities, or who's fascinated by the concept that you can consciously control autonomic functions would like this game. If you've got a stressful life or job, this game may provide you some relief.

If you just enjoy electronic gaming in general and are willing to pay for a pretty expensive game, this is certainly a unique game.

They've got a good website to browse, and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has...

Mike, if you have anything to add, please feel free.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

I think that the game is pretty cool. I am not into video games but think that the jouney to the wild divine is a fun way to learn relaxation techniques. The biofeedback element lets you know what works and what does not which is critical. If you cannot slow your heart rate down, you cannot move to the next section.

The background music can get tedious after a while, but you can simply put the mute button on so that is not a problem.

The graphics are incredible. I will report back with more feedback when I have had a chance to play the game some more.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person »

OK, Doc and Mike, still playing? Anything new? What I really would like to know is, how long is it interresting to play and do you get any lasting benefits before you're bored with the whole thing?

Topic author
SAR

Post by SAR »

It's still interesting. There's a second game coming out I think this spring. A third will follow.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Stig wrote:OK, Doc and Mike, still playing? Anything new? What I really would like to know is, how long is it interresting to play and do you get any lasting benefits before you're bored with the whole thing?
I had family in town for the last two weeks and have not had a chance to play. However, I will get some time in this week and report back soon.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person »

Thanks guys. I'll probably order it, but I'll wait for some more reports first. I've wanted to add some meditation/relaxation stuff to my regime for years already, but just don't seem to get it done. This game could do it.

amtroit2
Corporal

Post by amtroit2 »

Srowe, did you get or dismiss the "WILD DIVINE GRAPHER Expansion Pack "?

Topic author
SAR

Post by SAR »

I didn't get it, but have been thinking about it. I'll probably finish this game without it. When the next game comes out, I may order the expansion kit with it.
Basically it gives you your physiologic readings