Life of PI

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Life of PI

Post by nafod »

It's no Synecdoche, NY, but it does leave you thinking. I hadn't read the book or knew of the story other than reading a review.

Saw it in 3D, and it was worth the extra pesos and wearing the glasses to do so. An amazingly beautiful film. Kind of nice that the actors weren't big names. The story starts out in India, which I'm generally fascinated with. The lead lives with his parents at a zoo. Then they move to Canada via a ship with some of the animals. Ships at sea and storms are high on my list of cool, and they do them both well. If you've seen the trailers, you know there's a tiger and a boat involved, plus some heady thoughts. I'll not spoil it further.

Anyway, gets my recommendation. It won't waste your time. Off to see Lincoln today.
Don’t believe everything you think.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Life of PI

Post by TerryB »

So WTF is it about? I've seen the previews. Best I can tell, it's Castaway with a kid and a tiger instead of Tom Hanks and a volleyball.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

protobuilder wrote:So WTF is it about? I've seen the previews. Best I can tell, it's Castaway with a kid and a tiger instead of Tom Hanks and a volleyball.
It is an adventure story wrapped in an enigma with a sprinkling of parable. At the end, you have to decide if everything you just saw happened actually happened, or was the alternate explanation The Truth. Both explanations equally explain the events.

I mostly just enjoyed the CGI tiger and the scenery, which were awesome.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

I'm not seeing that shit

Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

I read the book. I thought it was pretty good. I am curious to see if they make the movie close to the book. I doubt it.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I enjoyed the book very much......until the ending.......then I hated it. Maybe the movie is a different experience.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I'm only interested in the outtakes from the early days of filming when they used a non-CGI tiger.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Pinky wrote:I'm only interested in the outtakes from the early days of filming when they used a non-CGI tiger.
=D> =D>

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:I enjoyed the book very much......until the ending.......then I hated it. Maybe the movie is a different experience.
The ending had some of that "But then you woke up and realized it was all a dream" going on.

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

Gorgeous filming, thought-provoking on human nature and survival skills. I don't get the "believe in God part." One odd twist I picked up was that the freighter ship was called tzimtzum, which is a mystical Jewish concept about the co-existence of God and materiality, with God's needing to contract to allow the material world to exist.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Loved the book, loved the movie.

Hammer, what didn't you get about religion? Pi explicitly explained it at the end

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

BucketHead wrote:Loved the book, loved the movie.

Hammer, what didn't you get about religion? Pi explicitly explained it at the end
I don't recall his explanation at the end, and remember only what he says throughout the movie. But I'd think that after living through natural and human evil that take all those you love, I could understand how it could lead to the belief that no god exists, or to the humility to say I don't understand but still believe.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

His response was something to the effect of: "The only facts are that the ship wrecks, my family dies but I survive. Which version of the rest of the story do you prefer?" The other guy says "The one with the tiger". Pi says, "Thank you, and so it goes with God"

Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

BucketHead wrote:His response was something to the effect of: "The only facts are that the ship wrecks, my family dies but I survive. Which version of the rest of the story do you prefer?" The other guy says "The one with the tiger". Pi says, "Thank you, and so it goes with God"
I did hear that, but it went right over my head. I think my view of the movie was so colored by the advertising that I just didn't pick that up. Troubling, thoughtful comment.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

good gravy, as my grandma used to say

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:good gravy, as my grandma used to say
What the hell does that mean?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

protobuilder wrote:good gravy, as my grandma used to say about grandpa's spooge

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Terry B. wrote:

I don't know exactly and she's senile now so it doesn't help to ask her

I think it's meant like, goddamnit, but without using curse words.

"Goddamnit, you idiot!"

"Good gravy! You boys are dumb as dirt on a bull's balls."

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

protobuilder wrote:
Terry B. wrote:

I don't know exactly and she's senile now so it doesn't help to ask her

I think it's meant like, goddamnit, but without using curse words.

"Goddamnit, you idiot!"

"Good gravy! You boys are dumb as dirt on a bull's balls."
Does senility run in your family?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

I liked it. I can see how other people would not, but thought provoking and beautiful -- a little slow (are all movies too long and too slow nowadays?).
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

Bram wrote:I liked it. I can see how other people would not, but thought provoking and beautiful -- a little slow (are all movies too long and too slow nowadays?).
Was thinking about taking 6 y.o. granddaughter to see it. What do you recommend? The long and little slow made me think she would get antsy.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

DikTracy6000 wrote:
Bram wrote:I liked it. I can see how other people would not, but thought provoking and beautiful -- a little slow (are all movies too long and too slow nowadays?).
Was thinking about taking 6 y.o. granddaughter to see it. What do you recommend? The long and little slow made me think she would get antsy.
Too scary for six year old, I think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

DikTracy6000 wrote:
It's perhaps a heavier message than a 6 year old needs, maybe a 7 and definitely an 8 I think would be okay (religion, death, God, loss).

It is a bit violent, but it's VERY sanitized. Almost absurdly so.

As for the length, my friend took his 7 year old to it and she got antsy.

Then again, you might have a very cool, wordly granddaughter who would like it. Hope that helps, Merry Christmas too
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

My nine year old daughter had a hard time about 2/3 into the movie. The hopelessness wore on her. She loved the movie overall tho