Limey TV Thread update....

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Limey TV Thread update....

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Been giving this one out to select IGX'rs in good standing but the rest of you fux deserve some quality BBC programming.

If any of you were fans of the George Gently franchise or the Inspector Morse franchise, check out Endeavor on netflix streaming. It's a Morse prequel and it;s really quit good. Esp. if you liek the Morse character. Set in his youth...mid 1960's the period backgrounds and interiors are awesome. Particularly good dialogue.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Bob Wildes

Re: Limey TV Thread update....

Post by Bob Wildes »

I'll give it a try when and if Netflix offers it via mail.

Whatever you do do not waste your time on Sensitive Skin. Joanne Lumley is in it
and she is stunning, even at 61, but the show is utter tripe.

Tried to watch it during some indoor cardio a couple of mornings ago. Easily the
worst shite I've seen on Netflix in over five years. :butthead:
Last edited by Bob Wildes on Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

I think our (British) TV is at a bit of a low at the moment. From your recommendations you seem to have the same TV tastes as my mrs though, so look into Silent Witness, Sherlock and Ripper Street. The latter is utterly fucking stupid imo, but compellingly dark in some episodes. I think it has tried to match some US series in terms of production values though and has fallen a bit short, (reminded me a bit of a British copy of an HBO Western series whose name I can't recall).

My recommendations for UK TV from the last few years would be the In Betweeners and Idiot Abroad, dunno if they'd wholly translate though.
Don't try too hard, don't not try too hard

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

I like Sherlock. Also, The Fall with Gillian Anderson

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

yeah the wife watched that too. I tend to surf IGX and other such stuff when she watches TV so can't comment. The roles are normally then reversed at 11.00 pm when family guy comes on.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

odin wrote:I think our (British) TV is at a bit of a low at the moment. From your recommendations you seem to have the same TV tastes as my mrs though, so look into Silent Witness, Sherlock and Ripper Street. The latter is utterly fucking stupid imo, but compellingly dark in some episodes. I think it has tried to match some US series in terms of production values though and has fallen a bit short, (reminded me a bit of a British copy of an HBO Western series whose name I can't recall).

My recommendations for UK TV from the last few years would be the In Betweeners and Idiot Abroad, dunno if they'd wholly translate though.
One advantage of UK TV, IMO, is that the good stuff ages better than older American stuff. The catalog is deep enough that American fans of limey TV will still have something to watch.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

BucketHead wrote:I like Sherlock. Also, The Fall with Gillian Anderson
Love Sherlock.

I need to see The Fall, I fucking LUST HER!

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Turdacious wrote:
odin wrote:I think our (British) TV is at a bit of a low at the moment. From your recommendations you seem to have the same TV tastes as my mrs though, so look into Silent Witness, Sherlock and Ripper Street. The latter is utterly fucking stupid imo, but compellingly dark in some episodes. I think it has tried to match some US series in terms of production values though and has fallen a bit short, (reminded me a bit of a British copy of an HBO Western series whose name I can't recall).

One advantage of UK TV, IMO, is that the good stuff ages better than older American stuff. The catalog is deep enough that American fans of limey TV will still have something to watch.
I've seen two episodes of House of Cards in the last two weeks on our PBS substation WETA-UK, man it is so fucking good and just like you said, it ages well.

Me thinks that Ian McDiarmid channeld Richardson a bit in Star Wars I,II, and III, when he played the Palpatine scenes.

"You might think that, I can't possibly comment."

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Blaidd Drwg wrote: the period backgrounds and interiors are awesome. Particularly good dialogue.
I just...I don't even....GAAAAH!!!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

T>1200 wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote: the period backgrounds and interiors are awesome. Particularly good dialogue.
I just...I don't even....GAAAAH!!!
I think that a man with more than a passing knowledge of ayahuasca would notice shit like that. :ANAL:

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Been giving this one out to select IGX'rs in good standing but the rest of you fux deserve some quality BBC programming.

If any of you were fans of the George Gently franchise or the Inspector Morse franchise, check out Endeavor on netflix streaming. It's a Morse prequel and it;s really quit good. Esp. if you liek the Morse character. Set in his youth...mid 1960's the period backgrounds and interiors are awesome. Particularly good dialogue.
Finally got around to watching this-- BD understates how good it is.

EDIT-- Roger Allam is absolutely brilliant.
Last edited by Turdacious on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

aussie luke
Staff Sergeant

Post by aussie luke »

Moved back to Australia a few years ago and the tv here is absolutely fucking retarded. So we watch lots of UK stuff - most things you want to see get uploaded to youtube about 5 minutes after broadcast in the UK so you can stay up to date with stuff without subscribing to anything.

Faves:

Peep show
IT crowd
Inbetweeners
I'm Alan Partridge
Harry Hill's TV Burp (you wont get it)
8 out of 10 cats (topical comedy panel show)
Qi
Would I lie to you (comedy panel show)

Only Connect - this is a high brow quiz show that often is like listening to an alien language ...but it is addictive. And you might like the host. Google it.

Lately we've been quite partial to Midsomer Murders. Shit loads of episodes on yt and no need to watch in any order. Just need 90 minutes spare. I pretty much always fall asleep though and wife refuses to tell me who did it.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

The Hamish Macbeth series is pretty well done. The mystery aspect of the series (what I've seen so far anyway) is kind of meh, but the over the top small town characters make it worthwhile. Robert Carlyle is great. The reporter will be familiar to Dr. Who fans.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Anybody else seen the older series called Berry Hill or something like that? Slapstick comedy. Funny as hell.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

buckethead wrote:Anybody else seen the older series called Berry Hill or something like that? Slapstick comedy. Funny as hell.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Broadchurch is excellent-- well written and a great cast. Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching because spoilers.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Outstanding. I needed something new.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Turdacious wrote:Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching ....
rats!
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Like it so far...Damn those Brits love killing off kids.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:Like it so far...Damn those Brits love killing off kids.
It gets better as it goes along.

Check out Montalbano one of these days. BBC iPlayer is running an episode a week. The first episode of the book series is available on youtube. I think you'd like it.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Turdacious wrote:Broadchurch is excellent-- well written and a great cast. Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching because spoilers.

One Netflix disc down and so far I agree. Thanks Turdacious. :finga:

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Happy Valley was quite good.
davidc wrote:I've found standing on my head to be particularly useful

odin
Sgt. Major

Post by odin »

Peaky blinders looks promising. But so did ripper street till it got silly.

Topic author
Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Gav wrote:Happy Valley was quite good.

+1.

Most realistic female cop character in a long stretch.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer

Post by Turdacious »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Turdacious wrote:Broadchurch is excellent-- well written and a great cast. Don't check out the wiki page if you're considering watching because spoilers.

One Netflix disc down and so far I agree. Thanks Turdacious. :finga:
Bump. Broadchurch is available streaming on Netflix now. New season starts in January.