Metropolitan Opera HD Broadcasts

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Metropolitan Opera HD Broadcasts

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

If you want to see world class Opera in a relatively casual and affordable manner, this a great opportunity. Last year's season was awesome. I had my reservations about how the productions would be filmed, but was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of production.

Multiple cameras and angles are used. The possibility of a close-up really challenged the performers to balance playing to the camera as well as the live audience. Last year's production of Peter Grimes was fucking amazing. Tristan und Isolde was plagued with many problems which were compounded by an overly ambitious use of facile video production techniques, but the performers handled the extremely long and difficult piece wonderfully.

This year's season looks to have some very promising offerings. John Adams' Doctor Atomic is going to makes its debut at the Met and Berlioz's treatment of the legend of Faust will also be performed (rather than the lackluster work of Gounod, which typically is performed on stage).

Much like the radio broadcasts, you are given an introduction to each work, "behind the scenes" interviews with performers and crew members during intermissions, etc. Great stuff for the neophyte.

Here is the link for the schedule:

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... _next.aspx

I am seeing the encore of Strauss' Salome tonight.

The San Francisco Lyric and La Scala have similar programs, but they do not start until later in the season.

Topic author
Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Metropolitan Opera HD Broadcasts

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan »

One major disappointment this year: the omission of the Ring cycle from the HD broadcast. The Met is doing the entire cycle this year. I alone know enough folks here in Cincinnati would fill the megaplex theater for each of the four installments of this epic.