Movies based in the late western era.

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Movies based in the late western era.

Post by Turdacious »

dingleberry wrote:Don't know if it fits the era, but Appaloosa is a fucking great recent western.
It's merely decent IMO. It's a Spencer book set in the old west: pussywhipped PI/sheriff; badass buddy/deputy who follows him around like a puppy; and an annoyingvlove interest who fucks anything with a pulse.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill »

Turdacious wrote:
dingleberry wrote:Don't know if it fits the era, but Appaloosa is a fucking great recent western.
It's merely decent IMO. It's a Spencer book set in the old west: pussywhipped PI/sheriff; badass buddy/deputy who follows him around like a puppy; and an annoyingvlove interest who fucks anything with a pulse.
Great synopsis of about any Robert B. Parker novel. Nicely done.

vern

Post by vern »

dingleberry wrote:I really liked, "My Name is Nobody"

It comes at the end of the west era.
Nice one. I used to judge video stores by whether they had this or not. If they did, it was a good store.

I also really liked Will Penny, but I'm not sure what year it's set in. (One of Chuck's best performances.)

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Nor sure of the timeline but Nevada Smith was decent.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Probably off 30 years or so from Batts timeline but you can't not mention Jeremiah Johnson.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I did not like Jeremiah Johnson at all and I really liked Crowkiller, which is a book about the same guy. Something about Redford makes me want to punch him in his chipmunk grill.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

Ravenous?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Mak, I've discussed this before with others...one of the few movies that might possibly have been better with someone else in the lead role. Fuck it seemed tailor made for Charles Bronson. Most of the time we hear of how someone else might have been an Indiana Jones, or a James Bond etc. and say, no way would that have worked but Redford's star power and, well, I guess it sounds homo, he's just too good looking for the part so you go with it anyway. But I do hear what you're sayin'.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Here's one for the camping handbook shape.

Naked Prey with Cornell Wilde. Cornell was 52 years old during filming.

A western story set in Africa and the time period I outlined. However, It was based on an early western (1809 )real life event where a trapper, John Colter, was chased in the same manner by Blackfoot braves.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Naked Prey is a great movie.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

vern

Post by vern »

Yeah, Cornell was ripped in that one. Then Mel ripped it off for Apocalypto. (Still a good flick.)
“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I didn't think that Apocalypto was a rip at all, it was an homage to pursuit films in general, and a pretty fucking tight one at that.

Topic author
Batboy2/75
Starship Trooper

Post by Batboy2/75 »

Say what you want about Mel.

He maybe crazy as shit, but he knows how to make movies.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of the free man from the slave.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

It's precisely BECAUSE he's crazy as fucking ferret that he makes good movies. Who wants to see well adjusted people on the big screen?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

This. Appaloosa is awesome. One the greatest Westerns I've ever seen. Appaloosa is that good.

After seeing the movie I tracked down the book, by Robert Parker. He wrote 4 books featuring the characters. The movie is better than the books -- that's a strange thing to say, because it's a pretty faithful adaptation, but the tone and performances are super. But the books are still pretty enjoyable.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Shapecharge wrote:Mak, I've discussed this before with others...one of the few movies that might possibly have been better with someone else in the lead role. Fuck it seemed tailor made for Charles Bronson. Most of the time we hear of how someone else might have been an Indiana Jones, or a James Bond etc. and say, no way would that have worked but Redford's star power and, well, I guess it sounds homo, he's just too good looking for the part so you go with it anyway. But I do hear what you're sayin'.
Funny, I think Jeremiah Johnson is terrific. I love the last half hour, with all the one-on-one Indian fights. The early part is great too, where he almost dies in the Winter and the old coot shows him how to live. To me, Redford's fresh-faced handsomeness works in those early parts where he doesn't know anything and can't hack it.

For my money the best 70s Western is The Outlaw Josey Wales.

An offbeat one that I enjoyed in the 80s was Barbarosa, with Willie Nelson(!) and Gary Busey.

The Westerns Jimmy Stewart made with director Anthony Mann are frequently cited as great entries in the genre: Winchester '73, Bend of the River, Naked Spur, The Far Country, Man from Laramie. Critics hype Naked Spur, but I enjoyed Winchester and Far Country more. Mann also directed Man of the West, with Gary Cooper and Lee J Cobb, which is intense and dark.

Speaking of Alaska (where The Far Country is set), check out The Spoilers, with John Wayne, Randolph Scott(!), and Marlene Dietrich(!).

Speaking of Jimmy Stewart, Destry Rides Again is a lot of fun (Marlene Dietrich again), and of course The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a must-see.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Fat Cat wrote:It's precisely BECAUSE he's crazy as fucking ferret that he makes good movies. Who wants to see well adjusted people on the big screen?
He really should write more of the dialogue though-- it would turn his good movies into great ones.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

This is a Great Thread, as I'm a Western nut. The Outlaw Josey Wales is something of a joke to my wife and family since it's my favorite to the point, I know most of the lines. I will make a list of titles mentioned here that I haven't seen. I also like some of Tom Selleck's westerns over the years, Quigley Down Under, Lassiter, and Monte Walsh.

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

I recently got to see "Once Upon a Time in the West" on the big screen. Great fucking movie. I wasn't expecting to see Henry Fonda play the bad guy.
Jason Robards had one of the best lines ever, to Claudia Cardinale: "Jill, you remind me of mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameida, and the finest woman I ever met."

They did a two week spaghetti western festival at the Film Forum in Manhattan. I didn't find out until it almost ended, and was working six days a week at the time. Missed "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" on the last day because I couldn't get out of work on time.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Not a movie, but based on the late western era, one of the top three games I have ever played, and will suck your life away faster than heroin and crack.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

seeahill wrote:The Ballad of Cable Hogue:

A eulogy to the west. Unusual film for Sam Peckinpaw. Very little violence, a good story, gentle humor. And, I mean, if you want to get all symbolical about it: Cable Hogue dies at the end, run over by one of them new fangled automobiles.
You got that right. The Ballad of Cable Hogue was a pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting much, but I was wrong.

Stella Stevens was easy on the eyes also.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Reminds me, I need to rewatch Lonely are the Brave, with Kirk Douglas.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Yes I Have Balls

Post by Yes I Have Balls »

Treasure of the Sierra Madre takes place during that time. And, not a movie, but Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is as brutal late wild-west scenario as you're likely to encounter.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Very good Russian western "Blood of wolf" (or "Wolf's blood"... #-o ).
Bandits of Kolchak murdered father of good guy (commie :) he appears on 1:20). And then movie about revenge.
Very good movie, I say this as a fan of westerns :) all heroes (reds and whites ) not too good and not too evil, just people of war times...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cay19Wq5n6c[/youtube]
Last edited by Wild Bill on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:00 am, edited 6 times in total.

Wild Bill
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Wild Bill »

Sidikhin may be not as good at fast drawing as Clint Eastwood :) but the movie itself and soundtrack...
"It's not Evening Yet" - remixed traditional Cossack song ("So Ends Enother Day") in their version.