Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

New Brian Wilson Documentary: Love & Mercy. 8/10

Post by bennyonesix »

http://takimag.com/article/life_of_brian_steve_sailer

Solid flick focusing mostly on 1966 the year he wrote Pet Sounds and just before he completely cracked up.

I am a huge early Beach Boys fan and I like Pet Sounds a lot so I can't get enough of crazy ass supra genius Brian Wilson stories so keep that in mind...

I still get chills when I listen to this one (original mono the tits)... You gotta play it loud or on headphones to get the full experience:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSvuRBbIKUs[/youtube]

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Re: New Brian Wilson Documentary: Love & Mercy. 8/10

Post by bennyonesix »

The bass and that horn? Forget about it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JwK1bJzBC4[/youtube]

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

He was good at melody, harmony, and pop song structure, much like Taylor Swift.

What a genius!!

I still don't understand the appeal of the Beach Boys.

Not being contrary just to be contrary either for a change.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I think there is a Beach Boys gene. Seriously. The experience is almost physical for me. There is no explanation. You dig or you don't.

Many people can't get past the adolescent subject matter either.

I despise the Beatles. But fuck, millions don't to say the least...

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

bennyonesix wrote:I think there is a Beach Boys gene. Seriously. The experience is almost physical for me.
Science wouldn't disagree you.

Our brains (and thereby out bodies) do respond to music, and very individually at that. I could easily see the texture and melody of the Beach Boys having an effect. For some reason it does nothing for me, whereas other things definitely do.

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I get the same feeling from Mozart.

I think there is an opposite effect as well.

The nail on a chalkboard or The Beatles to me.

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

bennyonesix wrote:I get the same feeling from Mozart.

I hate the beatles. In fact, every time "simply having a wonderful christmas time" comes on the radio I think they ruined christmas. That and the john/yoko abomination about starving children. There's something about the tone of the beach boys that doesn't appeal to me, but other harmonics simply hypnotize me.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

You shut your whore mouth! You too, bennyonedumbass!
syaigh wrote: I hate the beatles.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

syaigh wrote:yoko abomination
The second word should always follow the first.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

syaigh wrote:

I hate the beatles. In fact, every time "simply having a wonderful christmas time" comes on the radio I think they ruined christmas. That and the john/yoko abomination about starving children. There's something about the tone of the beach boys that doesn't appeal to me, but other harmonics simply hypnotize me.
Hate the Beatles, fine, hate Wonderful Christmas Time, fine, it's a lazy shitty tune. But it was WINGS, not Beatles. Loved the Beach Boys movie from 30 years ago. And Brian Wilson is nuts

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

Hanglow Joe wrote:
syaigh wrote:

Hate the Beatles, fine, hate Wonderful Christmas Time, fine, it's a lazy shitty tune. But it was WINGS, not Beatles. Loved the Beach Boys movie from 30 years ago. And Brian Wilson is nuts
The beatles unleashed the abomination that is paul mccartney. I hold them accountable.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Rolling Stone's 10 Best Beatles Songs:

10: My Guitar Gently Weeps
9: Come Together
8: Let It Be
7: Hey Jude
6: Something
5: In My Life
4: Yesterday
3: Strawberry Fields
2: I Want to Hold Your Hand
1: A Day In The Life

Thinking about those songs is enough to annoy me.

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Rolling Stone's Readers Picks for Top 10 Stones' Songs

10: Angie
9: Tumbling Dice
8: You Can't Always Get What You Want
7: Can't You Hear Me Knocking
6: Jumpin" Jack Flash
5: Wild Horses
4: Satisfaction
3: Paint It, Black
2: Sympathy For the Devil
1: Gimme Shelter

Those are not mine but damn all of them are better than A Day In The Life or I Want to Hold Your Hand.

It is so weird because 99%+ of people say that The Beatles are great and I just can not see what they mean.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Love both. Rolling Stone sucks. That top 10 list for the Stones is missing Rocks Off, Let It Bleed, Honky Talk Woman, Loving Cup and All Down The Line. Big Exile On Main Street fan. Although it's always listed as a top 20 greatest album of all time, it probably is a top 10.

Angie, Wild Horses, Paint It Black, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Can't You Hear Me Knocking. Can go. The first 2:30 of Can't You Hear Me Knocking is the Rolling Stones at their complete best. However the musical coda at the end kills the song.

Rolling Stone was the biggest tea bagger of John Lennon. Come Together, sucks, all of Lennons material on Abbey Road is mediocre. In My Life is lame, Yesterday is overrated as well as I Want to Hold Your Hand. They can be replaced by TIcket to Ride, (Lennon's best tune) Nowhere Man, Fool on the Hill, and You Never Give Me Your Money.

What makes A Day in the Life so great, as well as most of Sgt. Pepper is the drumming and bass musicianship.

McCartney was the genius behind the Beatles in the late 60's. Unfortunately, when he was with Wings, he didn't have Lennon telling him a song sucked. Zero quality control. Man plays every instrument. One time Lennon was quoted as saying not only was Ringo not the best drummer in the world, he wasn't the best drummer in the Beatles. Ballad of John and Yoko is McCartney on drums.

I always never understood the hype of Pink Floyd

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Agree in Rolling Stone. But I figured they would care and know the most about The Beatles so I went with them...

I would go crazy trying to come up with my 10 for the Stones... I am a Some Girls guy...

No Order Really:

Some Girls
Brown Sugar
Emotional Rescue
Waitin' On A Friend
Rocks Off
Before They Make Me Run
Paint It, Black
Gimme Shelter
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Street Fighting Man

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Forgot Street Fighting Man, dammit.
Waiting on a Friend is Great too.

What No Faraway eyes from Some Girls?

Love You Live is a great live album. So sloppy, it's great. Love the song Star Fucker

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Revolver. That is all.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

Turdacious wrote:Revolver. That is all.
Ray Davies reviews the Beatles LP

'Really, it's a load of RUBBISH'

BEATLES and Brian Epstein were so delighted with "Eleanor Rigby" and "Yellow Submarine", two of the tracks on the new "Revolver" LP out next Friday (August 5), that they're also being issued as a single for the same date.

But if that celebrated songwriter Ray Davies is a reliable judge, the Beatles have made a big mistake. Ray thinks Miss Rigby was definitely dedicated to John and Paul's music teacher back in primary school; while "Submarine" should sink into a dustbin. "It's a load of rubbish, really", remarks Ray.

Disc and Music Echo decided to turn over the task of reviewing the "Revolver" album to Ray - and the Kink certainly spoke his mind.

Here's the album, track by track, with Ray's inter-round summaries:
Side One: "Taxman" (by George)--lead voice, George: "It sounds like a cross between the Who and Batman. It's a bit limited, but the Beatles get over this by the sexy double-tracking. It's surprising how sexy double-tracking makes a voice sound."

"Eleanor Rigby" (by John and Paul)--lead Paul: "I bought a Haydn LP the other day and this sounds just like it. It's all sort of quartet stuff and it sounds like they're out to please music teachers in primary schools. I can imagine John saying: 'I'm going to write this for my old schoolmistress'. Still it's very commercial."

"I'm Only Sleeping" (by John and Paul)--lead John: "It's a most beautiful song, much prettier than 'Eleanor Rigby'. A jolly old thing, really, and definitely the best track on the album.

"Love You Too" (by George)--lead George: "George wrote this--he must have quite a big influence on the group now. This sort of song I was doing two years ago--now I'm doing what the Beatles were doing two years ago. It's not a bad song--it's well performed which is always true of a Beatles track."

"Here There and Everywhere" (by John and Paul)--lead Paul: "This proves that the Beatles have got good memories, because there are a lot of busy chords in it. It's nice--like one instrument with the voice and guitar merging. Third best track on the album."

"Yellow Submarine" (by John and Paul)--lead Ringo: "This is a load of rubbish, really. I take the mickey out of myself on the piano and play stuff like this. I think they know it's not that good."

"She Said She Said" (by John and Paul)--lead John: "This song is in to restore confidence in the old Beatles sound. That's all."

"Good Day Sunshine" (by John and Paul)--lead Paul: "This'll be a giant. It doesn't force itself on you, but it stands out like 'I'm Only Sleeping'. This is back to the real old Beatles. I just don't think the fans like the newer electronic stuff. The Beatles are supposed to be like the boy next door only better."

"And Your Bird Can Sing" (by John and Paul)--lead John: "Don't like this. The song's too predictable. It's not a Beatles song at all."

"For No One" (by John and Paul)--lead Paul: "This will get covered, but it won't be a hit. It's really better than 'Eleanor Rigby' and the French horn is a nice effect."

"Dr. Robert" (by John and Paul)--lead John: "It's good--there's a 12-bar beat and bits in it that are clever. Not my sort of thing, though."

"I Want To Tell You" (by George)--lead George: "This helps the LP through. It's not up to the Beatles standard."

"Got To Get You Into My Life" (by John and Paul)--lead Paul: "Jazz backing--and it just goes to prove that Britain's jazz musicians can't swing. Paul's singing better jazz than the musicians are playing which makes nonsense of people saying jazz and pop are very different. Paul sounds like Little Richard. Really, it's the most vintage Beatles track on the LP."

"Tomorrow Never Knows" (by John and Paul)--lead John: "Listen to all those crazy sounds! It'll be popular in discotheques. I can imagine they had George Martin tied to a totem pole when they did this!"

So, after listening to each track three or four times, the Ray Davies verdict: "This is the first Beatles LP I've really listened to in it's entirety but I must say there are better songs on 'Rubber Soul'. Still, 'I'm Only Sleeping' is a standout, 'Good Day Sunshine is second best and I also like 'Here, There and Everywhere.' But I don't want to be harsh about the others. The balance and recording technique are as good as ever."

Disc and Music Echo Magazine, August, 1967

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

All of these songs are horrible!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Fuck me! I just listened to "sympathy for the devil" because I'd never heard it and it was high on the list of reader's picks.

What a terrible song!

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

The only people that like that shit are the elderly boomer population reminiscing about ruining our nation with their 60s BS.

Topic author
bennyonesix
Sgt. Major

Post by bennyonesix »

I am not a boomer.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

You however have universally bad taste

It is well established.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

It's gotta be a specific gene.

I hate both of the Beatles and the Beach Boys. I can accept they are technically masterful but find no joy in their music whatsoever...and I have an admitted weakness for some pretty lowest common denominator gen pop music.

Sticky fingers is probably one of my favorite albums of any genre....probably because it's the closest to outlaw country.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill