Pacific Rim

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Pacific Rim

Post by Holeyfraggaroley »

I thought it was good. It lagged in a few spots and it certainly did not leave it open for a sequel. There tips of the hat all over the place to various movies and manga. I think there should be more Mecha genre movies. Not talking Transformers more like Battle Mech or Appleseed. I would go to it again on a matinee or buy the DVD. Anyone else see it?

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Pacific Rim

Post by DARTH »

They need to make Starship Troopers just like the book. The MI from the book would assrape the one from the Verhoven flick as easily as Gene jerks off to pictures of his mom.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

^^
Sooth.

Making a movie from Joel steakly's Armour would be cool. Actually that book would be a better tv show. There is a lot of character development in it.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Holeyfraggaroley wrote:^^
Sooth.

Making a movie from Joel steakly's Armour would be cool. Actually that book would be a better tv show. There is a lot of character development in it.

I have come across that book a few times but never read, I will now. Thanks.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Holeyfraggaroley wrote:I thought it was good. It lagged in a few spots and it certainly did not leave it open for a sequel. There tips of the hat all over the place to various movies and manga. I think there should be more Mecha genre movies. Not talking Transformers more like Battle Mech or Appleseed. I would go to it again on a matinee or buy the DVD. Anyone else see it?
It was good, but it was annoying how difficult it was to look past such a bad choice of using the mechs instead of, say, missiles or aircraft.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

Does the movie make having synchronized dance-dance mecha pilots look less gay than the trailer?
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

Pinky wrote:Does the movie make having synchronized dance-dance mecha pilots look less gay than the trailer?

Ehh, not really. They atleast explain why there needs to be two pilots. The neural load is to big for one pilot. So they mind meld and become one. They use it to help build the angst of why protagonist doesn't want to really do it. I think there is a lot potential for other mecha movies they just have to keep Hollywood out of it.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Did anybody else notice that the movie was basically Independence Day, only with mecha and giant monsters instead of flying saucers?
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Topic author
Holeyfraggaroley
Gunny

WildGorillaMan wrote:Did anybody else notice that the movie was basically Independence Day, only with mecha and giant monsters instead of flying saucers?

At the very end? There were so many little bits that they stole from other movies it was hard to tally after a while. I thought it interesting how the gorilla like monster had a little rubbery look to him.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Holeyfraggaroley wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Did anybody else notice that the movie was basically Independence Day, only with mecha and giant monsters instead of flying saucers?

At the very end? There were so many little bits that they stole from other movies it was hard to tally after a while. I thought it interesting how the gorilla like monster had a little rubbery look to him.
The whole thing, plot, script, you name it.

Granted, movie was an homage to Japanese rubber suit monster movies and anime mecha cartoons, but fuck, they recycled everything.
You'll Hurt Your Back

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

I will grant that it was the loudest movie I've ever seen. I had to resist the temptation to whip out my SPL meter and get a reading on the decibels.
You'll Hurt Your Back

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

That giant guy from The 300 was in it,.. otherwise I would have ignored it. He promoted it on Facebook a lot.
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Giant robots beating up sea monster aliens and slapping them around with oil tankers. 7 Samurai it's not, but it was entertaining.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.