Prometheus...

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Prometheus...

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Sounds good.

I just watched Journey 2 The Mysterious Island with my daughter...it requires you to suspend disbelief and my daughter had all sorts of hard questions about the utter lack of any kind of science in it.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I liked it. They went from what was originally going to be some pretty ham-handed origin stuff into something subtle enough to be confusing.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

apparently if you wait until the very last credit of the movie, there's a 'credit' that gives a date and a website

there are some other viral things floating around

sequels?
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Topic author
Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Okay finally saw it. I've got to let it jell a bit. Perhaps I was expecting too much from it but I was definitely entertained.

I bet that big bald white alien dude would crush all competitors at this years @Fit games and maybe be the first huge alien white dude to conquer Mt. Midoriyama.

DARTH
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DARTH »

Liked it.

"God forbid we tell the savages to go fuck themselves." Batboy

JonnyCat
Staff Sergeant

Post by JonnyCat »

"A" for effort, FX, character designs, ambitious goals.

"D" for general 'tardedness.

Overall: -B/C+ range.

It is a rare movie indeed that can live up to its hype and it is even rarer, still, when a director returns to old source material and somehow manages not to screw the pooch in the worst possible way (as did George Lucas with the SW prequels). Much of Prometheus is the realization of things scrapped from the original Alien movie due to budgetary constraints, a need to edit the movie down to a servicable viewing time, and the limits of the technology of the day. So, I'm glad Scott had a chance to dust off his stack of Giger designs and go to work. Visually, I was completely engaged and totally drunk on the eye candy. Scott's directing is as deft as it ever was and he can make even repulsive content look beautiful. Of course, the plot is the real problem, and I can't help but think that even though I'm sure the narrative suffered due to editing the movie to an acceptable viewing time, adding the excised scenes won't fix what is fundamentally wrong with the story. However, I thorougly enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the original Alien or Blade Runner. That Prometheus had me thinking about what I had watched long after the movie was over indicates that it was worth my time and money.

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Saw it this afternoon. It's almost as if there were five or six different drafts of the script, with different elements, and then they just decided to jam them all together in lieu of a coherent conclusion.
You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

WildGorillaMan wrote:Saw it this afternoon. It's almost as if there were five or six different drafts of the script, with different elements, and then they just decided to jam them all together in lieu of a coherent conclusion.
WGM, that makes me think of this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE2UlrE76M[/youtube]
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain." —Miyamato Musashi, A Book of Five Rings

WildGorillaMan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by WildGorillaMan »

Bram wrote:
WildGorillaMan wrote:Saw it this afternoon. It's almost as if there were five or six different drafts of the script, with different elements, and then they just decided to jam them all together in lieu of a coherent conclusion.
WGM, that makes me think of this video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjE2UlrE76M[/youtube]
This comic pretty much sums up Prometheus.

You'll Hurt Your Back

basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I saw this on Direct TV last night.

Maybe I missed something when I went to take a piss, but I did not understand why they were going back to destroy earth.

FX were really good but the story had no real flow and I was especially underwhelmed at the Kamakazie run at that mother ship....Bruce Willis and Will Smith saved earth way better than that.

vern

Post by vern »

I liked it. It was nice to see them use one of the old Giger Dune designs.

“Wherever the crowd goes, run the other direction. They’re always wrong.” Bukowski

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah, this wasn't as bad as I expected, yet worse that I'd hoped.

The original script actually made sense, but was more like an "Alien 5" movie.