Ray Donovan

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Ray Donovan

Post by baffled »

Kind of cool, but I have no idea what the point of the show is.

Steven Bauer beat the ever loving shit out of the protagonist's spook half brother. Jon Voight also killed a priest.

SPOILER ALERT!!
"Gentle in what you do, Firm in how you do it"
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Ray Donovan

Post by Shapecharge »

Baff, I'm watching it too and I'm trying to put it together...why does Ray hate his dad so much that he conspired against him such that he was tossed into prison for 20+ years and has threatened to kill him? I think it has something to do with the priest that he killed. It appears at least to me that the priest molested Ray and his other two brothers and sister who killed herself. Perhaps the dad knew about it but did nothing or extorted the church but Ray wasn't down for any of that. I did like that, "bag or bat" angle he played on the stalker dude and Bauer stapling that pic to the half brothers chest was pure gold.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Baff, I'm watching it too and I'm trying to put it together...why does Ray hate his dad so much that he conspired against him such that he was tossed into prison for 20+ years and has threatened to kill him? I think it has something to do with the priest that he killed. It appears at least to me that the priest molested Ray and his other two brothers and sister who killed herself. Perhaps the dad knew about it but did nothing or extorted the church but Ray wasn't down for any of that. I did like that, "bag or bat" angle he played on the stalker dude and Bauer stapling that pic to the half brothers chest was pure gold.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what the deal is between Ray and his Dad.

Steven Bauer's character is awesome, and I'm pretty excited to see what his character ends up doing.

How many episodes have you seen? All three yet?
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Watched the first two and the third is on the recorder...prolly watch it tonight.

Are you up to speed on Dexter? It's been fucking awesome. Deb is melting down right in front of your eyes...great acting. Who the fuck knows how all of this is going to end.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm interested to hear what you think of the third episode of Ray Donovan.

Dexter is awesome. I really haven't got a clue what's going to happen. I wonder how much of Deb's meltdown is just real life since she apparently hates Michael C Hall so much. I truly hope to find out her role is just one big improv run.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

It's been Showtime's most successful series but I bet they had to quit because of those two can't seem to put their differences aside. Supposedly she wanted to start a family and he didn't and then when they were supposedly having issues he banged Julia Styles on the side...well at least that's what is out there on the internets.

I'll check out Ray and holla back. We need to rally the cool guys club and require mandatory viewing.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Definitely, the cool guys club has waned a bit. I think Ray Donovan has the potential to get things started up again, but it's early yet. Things seem to run best when we've got a show with a little darkness and mystery rolling, like The Americans.

re: Dexter...
I'm not sure if that's an upgrade, going from Jennifer Carpenter to Julia Stiles. I think it is, but his ex-wife looked hotter last season. I'll say it's an upgrade and give him three out of five 'atta boys'.

By the way... what do you think happens with Quinn? He's banging Angel's sister (pretty hot in her own right, IMO), and Angel's trying to get him through as sergeant, but his attachment to Deb.... is that the thread that ties the future of this season together, or a diversion?
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Interesting insight. Other than the thick Cuban lieutenant getting shot by Deb, there's not been much in the way of the "holy shit they killed Ned Stark" on Dexter like there has been in other shows. Well they did kill the FBI guy that Deb was in love with but he wasn't that important. For some reason I'm expecting Quinn to get sacrificed but then the wacko psychologist with the crazy eyes is wondering why Dex hasn't killed Deb already since the first rule of Dexter club is, "don't get caught." Angel's sister is a little hottie and that bony fucking Jennifer Carpenter needs a couple of double-double's animal style. My tits are bigger than hers.

The only thing about Ray Donovan that's fucked up is the chick that plays his wife...she's my daughter-in-law's doppelganger and it weirds me out a little bit. Plus my son divorced her ass once then fucking remarried her...and they didn't even have any kids..wtf?

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Interesting insight. Other than the thick Cuban lieutenant getting shot by Deb, there's not been much in the way of the "holy shit they killed Ned Stark" on Dexter like there has been in other shows. Well they did kill the FBI guy that Deb was in love with but he wasn't that important. For some reason I'm expecting Quinn to get sacrificed but then the wacko psychologist with the crazy eyes is wondering why Dex hasn't killed Deb already since the first rule of Dexter club is, "don't get caught." Angel's sister is a little hottie and that bony fucking Jennifer Carpenter needs a couple of double-double's animal style. My tits are bigger than hers.

The only thing about Ray Donovan that's fucked up is the chick that plays his wife...she's my daughter-in-law's doppelganger and it weirds me out a little bit. Plus my son divorced her ass once then fucking remarried her...and they didn't even have any kids..wtf?
That psychologist.... I think she's trying to set Dexter up. Close the loop, as it were.

I could see how that would weird you out a little bit.

Interesting bit on your son's wife. I've dated the same girl more than once, but married?

I had an aunt who married the same guy three times. He got lucky and died before they could get hitched for a fourth time.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Three times? Holy shit...is it appropriate to say "at least he died doing what he loved"?

Good point...that psychologist has counseled a bunch of guys it seems who are out running around killing people. She uses Dexter to clean up the ones who are actually killing then she off's him in some way and her slate is wiped clean.

That last episode with Deb's meltdown fucking amped me up for some reason...made me nervous. The wife had to get drilled in a very bad place to help calm me down. She's now a bit agitated when I start talking about Dexter and tries to change the subject.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Lol, my old buddy Henry married 9 time she last I heard, 1, 4, and 9 were the same, and was the mother of his son. Also, 2 and 5 were the same, bemg the more of his daughter.

I last talked to him 10 years ago, so he's probably been married 20x by now

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Henry sounds like a friend of a friend who lives on like $300 a month, but makes upwards of $90k/year, because of ex-wives and child support. White dude, too.

Shape,
I don't think my aunt had her talons stuck in him any longer, so I'm guessing he died doing what he loved. From what I could tell, that meant acting like a pervert and stinking of cheap booze and Pall Malls.

A lot of gems in my family.

IMO, there are no "bad places", but I've always done the drilling, so I guess I can just do my best to empathize with Mrs. Shape, even if I don't understand.

Let us know how she recovers ahead of next episode. Thoughts and prayers.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shape,
Let us discuss last night's episode.

When you're ready. I don't want to make any comments in case you haven't caught the last couple episodes yet.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

SHAPE, ARE YOU CAUGHT UP ON RAY DONOVAN YET?
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Dang sorry Baff we've been fucking around and haven't watched yet. It's my wife's fault. She's about to get a cunt punch.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Dang sorry Baff we've been fucking around and haven't watched yet. It's my wife's fault. She's about to get a cunt punch.
I understand. We're still bros, but do with Mrs. Shape what you must.

I'll probably be behind this weekend, so we can catch up in a few days.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this last Sunday's episode.
- Buck Brannaman

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Hey Baff, the wife and I are gonna be out your way the end of September...we're gonna do another Napa/Sonoma thing and maybe a night in San Fran. If you're relatively close I'll shoot you our particulars and perhaps we can get together and swill some vino.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Unlike Dexter, which has gotten impossibly bad, this show is awesome. Worth it just for Jon Voigt.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Shapecharge wrote:Hey Baff, the wife and I are gonna be out your way the end of September...we're gonna do another Napa/Sonoma thing and maybe a night in San Fran. If you're relatively close I'll shoot you our particulars and perhaps we can get together and swill some vino.
Sounds good. Let me know and ill try to head out your direction.

I was looking at southwest for tix, may make a Texas and PNW tour sometime that month, so if we miss in Cali, the great state of Texas may work.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I'm caught up. Let us discuss.
- Buck Brannaman

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Expect plot twists involving a producer caught up in a Russian mob gambling ring in the US.
Days after Showtime picked up his freshman drama for a second season, the series’ executive producer Bryan Zuriff has pleaded guilty to running an illegal gambling operation. U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement today from New York that Zuriff faces up to five years in prison and has agreed to forfeit $500,000 as part of his plea deal, according to the statement. “Bryan Zuriff spanned the coasts with his crimes, by operating his own illegal gambling enterprise in Los Angeles, and helping to operate a vast illegal gambling enterprise in New York,” Bharara said. “With his plea, he becomes the first defendant, but not the last, to be convicted in this sprawling script of criminal conduct.” The plea comes on the heels of a very successful first month for Ray Donovan. The Liev Schreiber starrer debuted June 30 as the biggest original series launch in Showtime history. Then it became the premium network’s first new drama to see second-week gains. That led to its sophomore-season pickup on July 16. For the time being, Zuriff continues with his EP duties on the show.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

I was just about to post about that.

How awesome is that? Dude's got a show about shady, semi-underworld people, and he's running a shady, very underworld racket with the Russian Mob????

Life imitating art... or maybe the other way around.
- Buck Brannaman

Topic author
baffled
Sergeant Commanding

Post by baffled »

Where are we at on this one?

Should I bump the Dexter thread? I feel like Ray Donovan's going in a direction that I'm very much a fan of.

I'm enjoying Dexter as well, but I'm ready for it to end. Too many jams this serial killer with a heart is getting himself in to.
- Buck Brannaman