Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Recent reads

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I read for pleasure, generally not for information

The last few:

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson-I've got a hard on for the convoluted storylines of this series, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen". If you like big, dark fantasy works, this is one of the best I've read. Comparisons to Glen Cooks "Black Company" are warranted.

Spook Country by William Gibson - Not bad. Enjoyable.

Plague Year by Jeff Carlson - brutal, nasty, but decent storyline. Science was good, unlike

Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card/Aaron Johnston - this was so bad that I'd like to warn you off of it. Johnston took an old, dated short story by Card and wrote both a screenplay and a novel. Insipid. Bad science. The writing's not bad, but the awfulness of the details detracts immensly. Card should be smacked up side the head for letting Johnston do this. This was so bad that I had to write a review about it on Amazon.

Kushiel's Justice by Jacqueline Carey - I got sucked into this series at the beginning, and it's different enough so that I would ususally avoid this particular kind of genre, but the writing and storytelling is done very well, and the background is intriguing.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein. Not sure why it took me so long to get around to reading it. Makes me want to read Atlas Shrugged again.

Have Blood Meridian sitting on the bed stand and will start into it tonight. Bought it based on a review here, and having read one of Cormac McCarthy's other books, The Road, which is a bleak as hell vision of the future.

Skystone sounds good. I'm in the mood for historical stuff these days.

Speaking of historical novels, if you haven't read I, Claudius and Claudius The God, highly recommend them too.

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard »

Furious Giraffe! wrote:Shaf,

Might I recommend the The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte.

By far and away THE best rendition of the Arthurian Legend ever. He was the first to put in the whole Roman/Brit pre-history in the tale and make it work and make it interesting. Whyte has a writing style that is just awesome.

Holy fuck are they great adventure stories. Very good.

Book One is the Skystone, and it only gets better.
I second that, Mr. Giraffe, outstanding series of novels.
?