Rugged(TM) Polarized Sunglasses Please

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Rugged(TM) Polarized Sunglasses Please

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

After going cheap on some REI $25 pairs, I'd like to get a pair of sunglasses that hold up to water and UV. I am finding that less expensive models tend to have finishes that flake off when exposed to about a season of water and/or UV. Fine for sports, but not for work, and I'd just as soon not have multiple pairs of sunglasses.

I don't mind buying a premium brand, but if there are ones that have similar quality without paying for a brand name, that would be ideal. Primary features needed are that they're polarized and hold up in wet environment.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Re: Rugged(TM) Polarized Sunglasses Please

Post by Turdacious »

"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Too rugged.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Look for Native sunglasses, often you can get them for $24.99 to $34.99 on Steep and Cheap.

They are worth it. I have to make sure I buy the ones sized for a large face. Vented, polarized, replaceable lenses, lightweight.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Native or Tifosi.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Offer to blow someone in the military in return for them fronting you a pair of Oakleys from the military issue site. Prices are about 1/3rd of retail. No foo-foo colors, though.

https://secure.usstandardissue.com/
Don’t believe everything you think.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

For fucks sake a pair of 80.00 polarized Ray Bans will last until you lose them or get tired of them. Spend a little more for a sweet pair of Maui Jim's. Wait I take that back...you have to be relatively hip to wear those.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

I went through the same thing, but my cheap sunglasses came from Target and Walmart.

A year or two ago I bought a pair of Tifosi and a pair of Serfas. Both have been good purchases. The Serfas are cheaper, but the Tifosi are a little nicer.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Pinky wrote:A year or two ago I bought a pair of Tifosi and a pair of Serfas. Both have been good purchases. The Serfas are cheaper, but the Tifosi are a little nicer.
You get those in regular or prescription lenses?
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I also *really* like Suncloud sunglasses. I keep a pair in my car for all driving. Can barely tell I have them on. They make more rugged stuff. Lenses are polarized and no distortion. These are the ones I have. They're in the $50 range.
http://www.suncloudoptics.com/products/ ... cket/view/

Here's a pair for $30 on sale. I'm tempted...
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sunclo ... essed=true
Don’t believe everything you think.

The Nightman

Post by The Nightman »

I bought a pair of Wiley X polarized glasses about a month ago and really like them. I would buy another pair without thinking twice.

http://www.zappos.com/wiley-x-eyewear-b ... smoke-lens

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Look for Native sunglasses, often you can get them for $24.99 to $34.99 on Steep and Cheap.

They are worth it. I have to make sure I buy the ones sized for a large face. Vented, polarized, replaceable lenses, lightweight.
This worked out well, thanks. Didn't know about Steep and Cheap, great pricing.