Skyrim

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Holy Cow

Skyrim

Post by Holy Cow »

Anybody played it yet? It's supposed to win Game of the Year. If I don't get it for Crimbus, I'll buy it for PS3 on December 26.

Kazuya Mishima
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Skyrim

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Got it...love it.

Much like the Fallout games, and the previous Elder Scrolls game...will soak up VAST amounts of time. The biggest thing is that they finally broke out of the stupid D&D character class conventions that every game uses. Makes for a very rich gaming experience as you develop your character as you see fit. The main quest is great, and the side quests are also very interesting and entertaining. There is a LOT to explore.

There are some goofy bugs from time-to-time, but there's no doubt that this is one of the greatest games ever released. IMO, it deserves the high scores that it's receiving. You can really tell that they've taken what they've learned from the previous Elder Scroll and Fallout and have just damn near dialed the formula into perfection. I expect it will win game of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arkham City edges it out. Holy shit, that's a great one, also.

Topic author
Holy Cow

Post by Holy Cow »

Thanks for your review. I haven't played Fallout or any of the other Elder Scrolls games, but this one looks incredible, and I'm sure the fantasy hack 'n slash stuff will satiate my nerd lust.

I dig big chicks
Staff Sergeant

Post by I dig big chicks »

My son has it, I haven't played it yet. From what I've seen and what he says, it blows away the other Elder Scroll games, and they all took up what should have been many productive hours.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Skyrim is really the next evolution of the computer or console RPG.

It's organic and free-range character development virtually eliminates the power gaming number crunching and just encourages fun gameplay, without the meticulous leveling strategies of previous RPGs.

Beer Jew
Sgt. Major

Post by Beer Jew »

Get a job.

Mountebank
Sgt. Major

Post by Mountebank »

Beer Jew wrote:Get a job.
Haha, seriously. I have a buddy who owns a business, has 3 kids, does IM triathlons for fun...and he was gushing about this game the other day on FB.

I was simply like, "where in the holy fuck do you find the time?"

Eric B
Gunny

Post by Eric B »

It's a great game so far, but a potentially HUGE time-suck. Both times I started playing the game I wound up saying "holy shit! It's been three hours" and had to make myself turn it off.
Over time, your quickness with a cocky rejoinder must have gotten you many punches in the face.

Dunn
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Dunn »

Eric B wrote:It's a great game so far, but a potentially HUGE time-suck. Both times I started playing the game I wound up saying "holy shit! It's been three hours" and had to make myself turn it off.
Agreed. I rarely get time to play with work, school, and Wif. Since school is out and Wif is gone to her parents.....let's just say I have lost a few days to this thing.

Zombomatic

Post by Zombomatic »

I played ES IV: Oblivion like a fucking fiend. If this is that much better I might just not buy it and save myself from being sucked in. So many hours in oblivion doing repetitive shit just to max a certain stat...

cunch
Sgt. Major

Post by cunch »

'tis a life eater... i loved oblivion, skyrim destroys it. do not buy if you need to get shit done. (unless that shit pertains to killing dragons, recovering artifacts, getting married, assassinating an emperor, stealing bottles of wine, picking flowers, fishing, chopping wood, learning a new language, etc...)