Steve Cotter's The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Lifting

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Chessman

Steve Cotter's The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Lifting

Post by Chessman »

http://www.shihan.com/The-Complete-Guid ... k-and-DVD/

Mine came in the mail today so here's a review.

First, it's the best book for kettlebell techniques I've ever seen. It's leaps and bounds better in that department than anything else out there. Just nothing else compares IMO. The pictures are all in color, there are a lot of them, and the tips naturally cover things people should look out for. The addition of "bad form" pics will help steer people away from common errors, but these errors will be common sense to a lot of people that have used kettlebells for a while.

The content closely mirrors Steve's Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting DVDs, especially volume 1. I say that because volume 2 had the BOSU, etc. in it and this book doesn't have any of that stuff.

There are a couple of techniques I don't remember seeing before in the encyclopedias -- like Push and Pull, seated pressing, and a few others. But most everything here was in the DVDs.

The only negative about the book was that there was nothing about programming. Anyone who's looking for that won't find it here and that's a big drawback for some people who are confused about programming (like me). If a long chapter on that had been included, this would have been THE one-stop shop for KB anything and everything. But without it, I feel there's a gap because people won't know how to put all the various techniques into a workout.

The accompanying DVD has short clips of everything in the book. Steve doesn't say anything in the clips, meaning that this book and DVD combo doesn't make the encyclopedia DVDs obsolete. There was a lot on those DVDs that isn't in this book/DVD, especially the second set.

As an aid to learning the KB techniques, this is the resource I've been looking for. I've been wanting something to show people without having to refer to the DVDs or actually pick up a KB and start swinging. I've also been looking for something to use as a reference in my training space and this is it.

I highly recommend the book.

Topic author
Chessman

Re: Steve Cotter's The Complete Guide to Kettlebell Lifting

Post by Chessman »

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Nah. It's just a toss up. Most fitness products, even if they are books and dvds, are reviewed in the product review session. Here at Igx, though , we don't really care, do wel?

Topic author
Chessman

Post by Chessman »

Thanks, Wasn't sure. Between the KB forum, product review, book review and the post not getting any replies, i thought I might have put it in the wrong place.

Anyway, the book is good and well worth the money if you're into Steve's material.