Steve Erikson: Malazan Book of The Fallen (Epic Fantasy)

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
newguy
Sgt. Major

Steve Erikson: Malazan Book of The Fallen (Epic Fantasy)

Post by newguy »

Steve Erikson: Malazan Book of the Fallen

This is a 10 book epic fantasy series that is complete. No waiting years between books (I'm looking at you George.)

I started to read this series a long time ago but never finished the first book. It started slow, and it seems like you have read it all before. Based on several reviews I read, I decided to tackle it again, and I am glad I did.

I am only three books in, so this may all fall apart in book four or five, but so far I am happy I returned to it. (Thank you kindle.)

This is epic fantasy at its most epic. The book centers around (at this point) war. War in the human realm. War in the God realm. War between individuals. War that individuals wage against themselves. There is war. Magic. Weapons. Gods. Betrayal. Battles. Death. Politics. Cultures. History. Heroes. Villains. Death. More war.

Each book I have read starts slow. Enough that I have had to set aside time and just force myself to read. But about a third of the way in, I cannot put them down. Too many strong characters. Too much good plot. About half-way through I am reading at red lights and during dinner.

Much like George R.R. Martin, characters you like will suffer, and will die. Unlike in a Game of Thrones, it seems some of them do come back (in an authentic way that does not feel cheap.)

I have said a couple of times they start slow. But it is important to note because by the time you are into it is shocking just how into it you are. Each book seems like it is going to be just more of the same epic fantasy, but before you know it you are reading things you have never seen before.

Great stuff. Highly recommended. I am going to keep going. If this all turns to dog poo I will update the review.

Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Re: Steve Erikson: Malazan Book of The Fallen (Epic Fantasy)

Post by Holland Oates »

I've had the first book on my nook for a while and I never started it. May have to give it run.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

It's awesome as fuck, but hard to start. Huge series. Ons of shit going on. Ultimately it's pretty satisfying

tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Steve Erikson: Malazan Book of The Fallen (Epic Fantasy)

Post by tough old man »

Huge series. Tons of shit going on
Ive been reading it. Thankfully only 10 books. Fucking Warhammer is somewhere @ 85 plus spinoffs.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."