My Subaru Forester

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

My Subaru Forester

Post by tough old man »

2 weeks ago I traded in the wifes Durango for a 2013 Forester. Loved it all to hell. Wonderful to drive and no room for fat fucking relatives. Well last week I realized I was getting 7 MPG in my Ram 1500 crew cab and hadnt used it as a truck in 2 years. Traded it in on a ....wait for it....Subaru Forester!
Cut payments in half. Insurance dropped and I havent put gas in it yet. I cant wait til it snows!

Actually, I liked it so much today I took the job offer to be a salesman for them.
"I am the author of my own misfortune, I don't need a ghost writer" - Ian Dury

"Legio mihi nomen est, quia multi sumus."

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Re: My Subaru Forester

Post by seeahill »

They're good in roll overs.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Congrats on the new position! Have you been mistaken for a bull dyke yet? :)

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

No, but it'll come I'm sure.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Got my wife an Outback 2 weeks ago. Like it. A lot

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Been thinking about my next vehicle. Forester and Outback are on the list

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

Ill make you a deal...

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

First Subaru I ever drove was a rental Forester and ended up in a pretty heavy late night blizzard in the mountains near Flagstaff, AZ. The thing handled like a champ.

I picked up a 2010 Outback a little over a year ago. Zero problems.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:First Subaru I ever drove was a rental Forester and ended up in a pretty heavy late night blizzard in the mountains near Flagstaff, AZ. The thing handled like a champ.

I picked up a 2010 Outback a little over a year ago. Zero problems.
'10 Outback is what I have. 2010 MotorTrend SUV of the year. Terrific car. Only problem is the light color fabric seats (which are your only option in black exterior) stain easily.

Really liked the Forester when I test drove that as well. Fantastic visibility.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I like my Ford Flex...TOM, when the time comes, I'll remember you.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

TOM and I briefly chatted about this last week....if you're looking at a Subaru, do your bad self a favor and check out the Hyundai Santa Fe. We were hell bent on an Outback for my wife but drove the Santa Fe expecting not so much and we were very happily surprised. We got her the LTD with the V6. Leather, seat warmers, moonroof, the whole shabang. It is very quick (although it's not like my Dodge Ram Big Horn edition with the HEMI, motherfuckers). It's AWD and handles well in snow and slush. What I'm saying and the point of my post is, for us, it's everything we expected in the Outback and it was about 8k cheaper.

There are a few negatives: the vehicle has a button for everything and they're in odd'ish places....I keep looking for the button that launches the Hellfires. The cup holders are in an awkward spot. The tires could have been a little better quality for Minnesota driving. All in all, a very impressive ride and I NEVER thought I'd buy a Hyundai.

Dux
Sgt. Major

Post by Dux »

If you start buying glue guns I will call for an intervention. \:D/
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt "

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Ill remember that, I'm tend towards frugality. I read somewhere that the Suzuki Grand Vitargo? Is a workhorse of a 4wd, and only one of a handful that still sit on a truck chassis. I really liked the Honda Pilot I had, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had before that went through damn near anything

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:Ill remember that, I'm tend towards frugality. I read somewhere that the Suzuki Grand Vitargo? Is a workhorse of a 4wd, and only one of a handful that still sit on a truck chassis. I really liked the Honda Pilot I had, but the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had before that went through damn near anything

I had an 88 Cherokee Chief; a 95 Grand Cherokee Orvis and and 08 Liberty LTD. Both Cherokees were fantastic vehicles with the 95 being the better of the two as it had a V8 and I like V8's. It was also fancy pants for the time (although I bought it used and it already had about 100k miles on it) and I believe it was the original AWD street vehicle (it was fulltime 4WD vs. true AWD). The Liberty was without question, the absolute worst vehicle we've ever had.....galactic piece of shit. Sucked, sucked, sucked.

01 Super duper Isuzu Trooper was a pig, but a very awesome pig.

An Ex had an 88 Suzuki Samurai I drove a good bit and that thing was all the deadly Ralph Nader said it was.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:TOM and I briefly chatted about this last week....if you're looking at a Subaru, do your bad self a favor and check out the Hyundai Santa Fe. We were hell bent on an Outback for my wife but drove the Santa Fe expecting not so much and we were very happily surprised. We got her the LTD with the V6. Leather, seat warmers, moonroof, the whole shabang. It is very quick (although it's not like my Dodge Ram Big Horn edition with the HEMI, motherfuckers). It's AWD and handles well in snow and slush. What I'm saying and the point of my post is, for us, it's everything we expected in the Outback and it was about 8k cheaper.
The big engine Outback (3.6), right?
There are a few negatives: the vehicle has a button for everything and they're in odd'ish places....I keep looking for the button that launches the Hellfires. The cup holders are in an awkward spot. The tires could have been a little better quality for Minnesota driving. All in all, a very impressive ride and I NEVER thought I'd buy a Hyundai.
The big bargain on Hyundai is that they can't charge as much yet as the Japanese brands because the brand hasn't caught up with their fast-improving quality. The downside is there's a gamble on resale value for the same reason.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

The downside is there's a gamble on resale value for the same reason.
This

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

tough old man wrote:
This
Lie-men, let us be rational here. We are talking about $30-40k cars, not Ferrari's. Assuming you paid in full for your new vehicle, what are you going to save in terms of retail value retention in the vehicles? Maybe a grand, I have no clue, but probably closer to a shopping trip to Trader Joe's for a family of four is more like it. I'll take that 8k savings on the front end vs. the 'maybe' of resale value after 5+ years of midwest winters, ect.

KOREAN VEHICLE IS BEST ASIAN VEHICLE!

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Grandpa's Spells wrote:The big engine Outback (3.6), right?
Yes, I didn't know they sold the LTD in 4 banger.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

tough old man wrote:
This
*cough* Then buy it used *cough*
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

First training day today. Met a nice lesbian couple.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Turdacious wrote:
tough old man wrote:
This
*cough* Then buy it used *cough*

Why in fuck anyone would by a NEW car I will never know.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Topic author
tough old man
Sergeant Commanding

Post by tough old man »

We are talking about $30-40k cars, not Ferrari's
My Forester Premium with hitch and other stuff was @ 22,500. Trade in allowance was 16,200. My 4 year payments are @ 0. Guaranteed trade in value up to 6 years.

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

I've had two Subarus. Like them a lot. One benefit --- for me --- is the extremely high clearance. 8.75 inches. You can go almost anywhere a truck can go off road. They are solid on gravel roads and great in snow.

Even with the high clearance, the things feel good on the highway because the boxer engine sits low under the hood and give a lower center of gravity.

That said, I'm also looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee. 2014, with the new 8 speed transmission. Go just about anywhere a Jeep Wrangler can go, but they feel good on the highway. The Summit Overland model is what I want. Gotta break into savings for that...

It's between the Outback 3.6 and the Jeep for me. I make my move in late Feb....

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach »

Aw, fuck, seriously guys? I'm looking at potential mommy wagons -- almost 100% settled on a used Toyota 4Runner and I open this thread. You fuckers.
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

seeahill

Post by seeahill »

I had a 4-runner once myself. Earlier model but it was the eptitome of Asian macho. Go anywhere. Lasts forever. A heavy duty off-roader. But not a Mommy-mobile. Why? Better mileage on the less beefy Toyotas. And the others are a little better riding on the highway.

However, if you get a good price, you get a great vehicle that, while not as good as, say, a Highlander on the highway, is perfectly acceptable for everything from getting groceries to a cross country drive.

Plus that mo-fo goes anywhere off road.