The Batman

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

The Batman

Post by Bram »

This movie didn’t 100% suck dicks, but it was not enjoyable.

It was so preposterously gloomy:

Gloomy music, ridiculously gloomy lighting, every fucking actor except Catwoman was gloomy — she was hot and for some reason seemed to actually enjoy being in the film. One reviewer said, “It looked like someone forgot to pay the electricity bill in Gotham.” And Batman was the gloomiest of the cobwebbed dungeon corners in this abandoned Dracula castle. He was miserable when he was Bruce Wayne the playboy, he was dour in the batcave, he was grumpy when he was trouncing Level 1 enemies. The plot is gloomy too! Gotham has become the worst city on Earth, filled with terrible denizens.

What keeps it from being an absolute stinker is all the money they dumped into it — for being candlelit (or worse), it is a thoughtful aesthetic. And the plot wasn’t bad. It just was unpleasant to sit through.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

The Batman

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I dozed off in the middle. Patterson was good I thought the chase scene where you can tell, "this dude is a little nuts and really into chasing bad guys" was well done.

Weird combo of good movie and I won't watch it again.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

The Batman

Post by Bram »

I fell asleep too!

Haha, I forgot about that. I was trying to escape the chore of being conscious for the film. And woke up disappointed I'd only escaped a small portion.

It must have been around the chase scene that I passed out. No sarcasm, I'll defer to your experience that it was a highlight GS. The film just had so much on-screen darkness that it lulled me away.
"An adventurer comes back and tells you what they did, while an explorer comes back and tells you what they learned."

Bennyonesix1

The Batman

Post by Bennyonesix1 »

I don't watch new movies. They're bad.

The batman cartoon when I was a kid was good though. Kinda art deco idk.

Ronald RayGun

The Batman

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Best portrayal of The Bat in movie form. This is The Long Halloween (minus the cavalcade of baddies), Year Two and a good 16-23 issue run of Legends of the Dark Knight. Perfect blend of fear and violence. I truly felt sympathy for the main baddie. I'd like those fuckers dead, too. Also had hints of the Arkham games. Finally got to see The Bat as a proper detective. This is ultimately a story about a fucked up guy in an even more fucked up city. No Meta-Humans. No aliens. Just the stinky, dank, morose Batman I grew up loving.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Ronald RayGun

The Batman

Post by Ronald RayGun »

Upon several more viewings, often in the dark with incredible headphones on, I can conclusively that this is my favorite BATMAN movie. I all capped that shit because all other Batman movies are too often defined by the antagonist. THIS is Batman. The sleepless, overworked detective. For sure on high level "supplements".
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar