Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

The Blank Slate

Post by buckethead »

The Modern Denial of Human Nature, by Steven Pinker

This is a fundamental treatise on Evolutionary Psychology. I was interested in the topic and was not disappointed in the breadth and depth of coverage that Pinker gives. I fully recommend it.

The basis of the whole book is what Pinker believes to be 3 misconceptions that have plagued modern man

1. "The Blank Slate" or Tabula Rasa. The belief by many that a human is born almost completely "moldable", thus it is his/her environment, learning, etc. that determines their behavior traits. Pinker takes aim at this and destroys it with well-referenced arguments. Though a knee-jerk reaction would be that he therefore thinks EVERYTHING is caused by gene expression, that also is not right. He shows that a lot (half?) of the variance of behavior can be attributed to environment or even chance. One of the most convincing and interesting takes is that parents have very little affect on the behavior traits of their children once grown. They give them their genes so the kids will be very similar, but any differences are caused by peer group environment and chance, not good parenting. Unfortunately, parents can do much harm - abuse, neglect, etc... Besides children, Pinker goes into many different topics that are ruled today by Blank Slate ideology: violence, politics, gender, etc...

2. "The Noble Savage". This is the belief that pre-society humans were peace-loving, cooperative, noble individuals and groups. Instead, of course, he shows that pre-society cultures were ripe with murder, rape, enslavement, etc... I found the concept obvious but I was surprised how often it showed up in his book, from all sides of the political spectrum. There's the obvious Avatar-Loving, Utopian Left, but he also took shots at the naive religious Right, and even the police-hating Libertarians (he shows that democratic police forces coming on the scene in the middle ages have dropped violent crime hundredsfold - of course the problem remains on who polices the police).

3. "The Ghost in the Machine". This is the Cartesian belief that there is something more to "you" than just biology. Soul, spirit, whatever - Pinker believes this to be a misconception and a dangerous one at that. Again, he shows this is not only a religious belief but pervades the secular Left as well. Of the three, this is covered the least, unfortunately in my opinion. I'm not sure if Pinker just avoided the obvious dissonance that arises (free will, consciousness in general, insight or religious experiences, etc..) because he didn't have a good argument, or just thought it would be another book in itself. Either way, except for the very fundamental argument (we evolved, we're not specially created, etc...) I found this topic wanting.

Lastly, though I think this is a very worthwhile book to read, it did leave me a little irritated. Partly, I'm sure, because genetic determinism of any degree is a bitter pill to swallow - especially when I look at my Dad's pot-belly! However, I also get an underlying uneasiness at the "certainty" of evolutionary psychology. First, it is foremost an explanatory theory, meaning they look at behavior and theorize how evolution came up with that. I don't see much, if any, predictive theory, which is much more powerful and useful. I think Pinker's arguments stayed within fairly useful bounds but I can envision others going full-retard with this.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Blank Slate

Post by TerryB »

Ugh, I don't know about the book, but your review is terribly boring
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Looks cool, thanks for the review Bux.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Pinker seems like an interesting writer.

Synopsis of The Better Angels of Our Nature:
Faced with the ceaseless stream of news about war, crime, and terrorism, one could easily think we live in the most violent age ever seen. Yet as New York Times bestselling author Steven Pinker shows in this startling and engaging new work, just the opposite is true: violence has been diminishing for millennia and we may be living in the most peaceful time in our species's existence. For most of history, war, slavery, infanticide, child abuse, assassinations, pogroms, gruesome punishments, deadly quarrels, and genocide were ordinary features of life. But today, Pinker shows (with the help of more than a hundred graphs and maps) all these forms of violence have dwindled and are widely condemned. How has this happened?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I read Pinker's The Language Instinct years ago. Super insightful, him being a linguist and all. Have contemplated picking this one up, but have too many in hand already. I'll have to give it the bookstore deep scan.
Don’t believe everything you think.