Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Post by nafod »

Hilarious. One of the better books I've read in a while. Written in 1890s, yet timeless. The book reminds me of the Fatty Wager thread here, if the participants were to be paddling up the Thames instead of trying to lose 30 LBs each. Also free via Project Gutenberg and others.
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need—a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
It always does seem to me that I am doing more work than I should do. It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.

You cannot give me too much work; to accumulate work has almost become a passion with me: my study is so full of it now, that there is hardly an inch of room for any more. I shall have to throw out a wing soon.

And I am careful of my work, too. Why, some of the work that I have by me now has been in my possession for years and years, and there isn’t a finger-mark on it. I take a great pride in my work; I take it down now and then and dust it. No man keeps his work in a better state of preservation than I do.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/308/308-h/308-h.htm
Don’t believe everything you think.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

Post by buckethead »

Any wolves in the boat?

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Maybe a pelt to ward off the evening chill
Don’t believe everything you think.

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Post by dead man walking »

i am making excellent progress in my paddle up the thames, thank you.
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.